PDA

View Full Version : Water in the fuel. Just me?

Chili 18
11-13-2005, 09:31 PM
It seems I have to empty my fuel/water seperator every tank or two. I didn't have to do that on other water toys. Hard to believe the gas I buy is THAT bad. All from various staions like shell and Marathon. I dont have a fuel oder in the bilge or anywhere, so dont suspect a leak. Could it be coming in the vent on the side? It is pointing down and sternwards, which seems ok.. Any ideas?

gcarter
11-13-2005, 09:47 PM
How old is your tank?

Ranman
11-14-2005, 07:26 AM
You may have picked up all of the water during one fill up and now it is taking several tanks to get it all out.

A few seasons ago, I acquired a lot of water in my tank (I have a suspect station). It drove me nuts for several weeks because I didn't know exactly what was wrong with the boat. I ended up figuring out is was water in the fuel. I bought a Racor spin on filter with the drain plug and had to drain it several times while out on the water. Now I drain it abour once a season and I'm good. The Merc filters once full, send the water to the engine and it begins to run erratically. When a Racor gets full with water, it shuts down the boat. The drain plug makes it easy do drain without removing the filter from the base.

Point is, I think I acquired all of the water at onn time, but it took me a long time to get it back out of the system.

P.S. The Racor water seperating fuel filters are FAR SUPERIOR to the standard Merc units. THere is a spin on replacement for the Merc's which is what I run. About $50 though.

txtaz
11-14-2005, 07:54 AM
I'm with Randy. It happened to me just before PK and started getting a miss. After several tanks of fuel it runs normal.
Da Taz

GEOO
11-14-2005, 08:19 AM
I've picked up water through my vent several times durnung the 10 years of running. In rough water the vent gets splashed and some times goes under water. If the vent is aimed towards the stern it should work. I went alittle extreme and put a water seperator on the vent to catch any water that may come in. Water doesn't burn well. :cistineb:

mattyboy
11-14-2005, 08:42 AM
well I don't know how the boating weather is in Lower MI this time of year
but we had an unusually wet oct I had problems with my deck plate after a rain storm was loose and some water got in, the vent thing is a big one, and if you have had alot of rain the gas stations might get more water in their tanks too

Chili 18
11-14-2005, 11:18 AM
How old is your tank?

Hey George,

Its the origional tank from 87. Appears to be aluminum, but havent really scrutinized it. No fuel smell in bilge or by sender inspection port...

It was fresh water use only, so am hoping the tank is ok.

Thanks,
Chili

Chili 18
11-14-2005, 11:27 AM
You may have picked up all of the water during one fill up and now it is taking several tanks to get it all out.
A few seasons ago, I acquired a lot of water in my tank (I have a suspect station). It drove me nuts for several weeks because I didn't know exactly what was wrong with the boat. I ended up figuring out is was water in the fuel. I bought a Racor spin on filter with the drain plug and had to drain it several times while out on the water. Now I drain it abour once a season and I'm good. The Merc filters once full, send the water to the engine and it begins to run erratically. When a Racor gets full with water, it shuts down the boat. The drain plug makes it easy do drain without removing the filter from the base.
Point is, I think I acquired all of the water at onn time, but it took me a long time to get it back out of the system.
P.S. The Racor water seperating fuel filters are FAR SUPERIOR to the standard Merc units. THere is a spin on replacement for the Merc's which is what I run. About $50 though.

Hey Randy, and others who chimed in... Thanks!

I know I got a load of bad fuel last season. Really bad. I guess that could still be contributing to the problem, but its been 10 or 15 tanks since then and it still occures fairly regularly. About every other time on the lake.

I like the idea of the Racor seperator with the drain. Tired of making the engine eat water after it sputters out and draining the merc style seperator. Ill add one over the winter. A sensor would be nice! like diesels have. With a warning horn or light or something,...

Geoo:
Im usually in rough waters. And suspect the vent as the main source. Think ill use my current aftermarket [merc style] seperator in the vent line, and add a Racor by the engine. That aught to keep her dry...

Thanks guys!

Barry

Ranman
11-14-2005, 12:25 PM
The spin on Racor with the seperate bowl/drain really worked well for me. Every time the boat would start to act up, I'd go back in the engine compartment and loosen up the drain plug and sure enough, I'd get a bunch of water out. The Merc filters just did not do the job. After a few drains with the Racor, everything was fine. I fought with that Merc filter wor weeks. Good luck.

mattyboy
11-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Randy,
with your setup after draining do you have to reprime the filter??
cause that is a PIA with the spin off type filters, if it can be spilled I always make a mess

DonziJon
11-14-2005, 02:23 PM
Funny thing about water...it's heavier than gasoline and goes to the bottom of the tank where it STAYS. Except of course when the pickup tube takes a drink due to the water sloshing around. Every fuel tank has a certain amount of capacity that is "Unusable" fuel because the pickup tube is NOT on the bottom of the tank. This is done to lessen the chance that dirt, etc. will be picked up.
The Only easy way to get rid of the water that replaces the "Unusable" gasoline in the bottom of the tank is to add alcohol to the fuel. Alcohol mixes with water.. AND gasoline, and allows the two to combine temporarily and run through the engine normally. "Drygas", or a product I use once a season called "Heet" does the job nicely. I think it's one bottle to 10 gallons of gas..about a dollar a bottle. I've had my Merc filter off a few times and never found water. Eliminate all the water in the tank every season, even if it's not giving you a problem and the tank may last longer as well. I suspect condensation is the most common source for water, particularly up north.

Trueser
11-14-2005, 02:35 PM
I use " HEET" and had the same results. Never have any issues.

Mike

joseph m. hahnl
11-14-2005, 03:08 PM
I use " HEET" and had the same results. Never have any issues.
Mike

Damn It! you guy's beat me to the punch. Dry gas is the only way to go.
I run heet in all my stuff> especially in winter in my snowmobiles and my cars
you need to watch the cautions for 2 strokes but most of the products are compatible.

here's a good one for you!!! a buddy of mine use to work a a petro station.
when ever it rained his boss would open the ground cover to let water in.

There are certain stations i go to where dry gas is required at every fill up in the winter."the local station in town"

joe

Chili 18
11-14-2005, 04:19 PM
I remember when some premium "service" stations had two stage and water filters between the pump and the nozzle. Havent seen that for some time. Too bad.

Ranman
11-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Matty,

No, I don't have to re-prime. I just drain the water (carefully) and go. YOu should remember though that I'm fuel injected with a high-pressure pump.

I tried using some "heet" to remove the water in the tank, but I had "ingested" way too much and adding too much alcohol to the fuel is not good (rubber seals, injectors, etc).

DonziDave
11-14-2005, 08:22 PM
I'm with RANMAN....be careful using alcohol additives. They are good for solving a short term water problem, but don't leave fuel/alcohol mix in your fuel lines or carb/injectors when stored. It will eat up any rubber components (personal experiance).
Also, check to make sure your fuel tank vent line is installed in a high arc above the hull vent location then into the tank. This helps keep the water out of the tank when the vent gets submerged.
Dave