PDA

View Full Version : How do you connect to the web?

harbormaster
11-12-2005, 11:09 PM
OK Folks...
Please let me know how you connect to the web

Formula Jr
11-13-2005, 12:29 AM
Country Dial Up, 28k

So far, I see no real advantage to higher bandwidth.
I have the avatars turned off and that makes the biggest difference
in refresh rate. As long as people don't use 800k pics I'm fine.
I don't usually open anything over 160k.
With the avatars off, my through put is almost the same as the 56k
format.

Walt. H.
11-13-2005, 01:21 AM
BroadBand hi-speed cable

gold-n-rod
11-13-2005, 07:06 AM
No way to vote for 2, but I have dialup at home (usually connects at 53.2 baud) and at work, I connection through a high speed (up/down) network.

I appreciate your efforts to keep everyone happy, Scot.

MOP
11-13-2005, 08:04 AM
Dial up @44k

Patti
11-13-2005, 08:20 AM
Dial up here at a whopping 28.8k on a good day :)

harbormaster
11-13-2005, 09:00 AM
Country Dial Up, 28k

So far, I see no real advantage to higher bandwidth.
I have the avatars turned off and that makes the biggest difference
in refresh rate. As long as people don't use 800k pics I'm fine.
I don't usually open anything over 160k.
With the avatars off, my through put is almost the same as the 56k
format.

Owen, nice tip for the dialups on the avatars.

Though I am kinda surprised to hear that you see no real advantage to higher bandwidth. At one time you were a techie. (I guess that was in the text based OS days and now you have dropped out to live in the forest.:biggrin: )

To me that's like saying that you see no advantage to TV over radio.

In some small way that may be true. (you can get the news on both and
I also like talk radio).

As this site progresses it will start to contain more richer content. This comes at a price. Larger files.
This will not be solved by turning off avatars and such.

Broadband content is kinda like an iceberg. Until you run into the part underwater that you cannot see, you have no idea how much stuff really exists out there.

Here is are some examples of why a fast connection rocks.

1).While I am typing this I am listening to streaming music from a winamp shoutcast station. This is music I cannot hear elsewhere in my radio market due to the merging of radio station owners taking place.

2).Online shopping. My wife was so irritated at the net when we had dialup and she tried to use it to do things. The waiting is frustrating.
We now do all our Holiday shopping on the net. Its shipped, wrapped, and waiting at my inlaws when we get there.

3)viewing online video and animations. I watch news clips. I also watch weather radar animations. They load quickly and I do not have to sit there waiting looking at a blank screen.

4)Online software upgrades. When updating or downloading software, it can mean the difference between a 5 minute download or tying up your computer for an hour or longer. I don't know about you folks but my free time is valuable to me and I do not feel like waiting.

Those of you who live in an area where broadband is available really need to upgrade to it. Its nuts not to.

I really feel for the folks who cannot get a fast connection in their area. My suggestion is to research if highspeed wireless is in your area. Its faster than dial up and very convenient.

MOP
11-13-2005, 09:35 AM
Scot I feel the site its self should be left basically in its original format, put all the BB goodies in its own section for those that have the capabilities to enjoy. People should be given the option to view the materials they choose without feeling penalized for have a slow connection. I like many do not open what many have come to call "The rudely posted" overly big pictures, size changing is so unbelievably simple. Many come here to get help or trade ideas which is what I have always's felt was the main purpose of the Dnet. I amongst those that feel penalized and am against it turning into a visual arcade that is not its real purpose, I feel running a fuzzy movie that got old after a day or two defeats the sites real purpose!

Phil

DonziJon
11-13-2005, 09:37 AM
Scott: I have 56K Dial Up that runs at 40K on a good day. Sometimes as low as 22K. I have Verizon phone, but DSL is not available "on my side of the street"..literally. :confused:

MOP
11-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Another point the "Non BB users" that happen onto the site may just say screw it and click off because the front page runs like it has a cinder block tied to it. They will have no clue about the available speed choice.

Walt. H.
11-13-2005, 09:57 AM
H.M. Scot

Broadband content is kinda like an iceberg. Until you run into the part underwater that you cannot see, you have no idea how much stuff really exists out there.

Off the topic a little but heres a pic of a Iceberg showing whats underneath, kinda breath taking:wavey:

boxy
11-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Scot you can leave this or delete it, it's your site...........

I am so tired of all the complaining that is going on about the new upgrades.
Welcome to the 21st Century, we live in a broadband world, get over it and stop bitching about it.

What is more intrusive to day to day enjoyment of this site, a couple of oversized pictures of performance boats, or the daily bombardment of totally useless posts.
I'd be more than happy to put up with big pictures if I didn't have to wade through ancient jokes, and 5 year old "internet scare" stories on a daily basis.

Drop my rep rating to Zero for all I care, I'm tired of the all the recent bullsh@t, it's time to take this site back, and start appreciating all the work Scot does.

Steve Boxma
steveboxma@royallepage.ca

f_inscreenname
11-13-2005, 10:36 AM
It is a thankless job sometimes being a MOD but the wife tells me "it keeps me out of the bar" :eek:
I know what you all have to do to keep a site like this going Scott and that other Scott and I still love ya. Keep up the good work.:wavey:

MOP
11-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Scot you can leave this or delete it, it's your site...........

I am so tired of all the complaining that is going on about the new upgrades.
Welcome to the 21st Century, we live in a broadband world, get over it and stop bitching about it.

What is more intrusive to day to day enjoyment of this site, a couple of oversized pictures of performance boats, or the daily bombardment of totally useless posts.
I'd be more than happy to put up with big pictures if I didn't have to wade through ancient jokes, and 5 year old "internet scare" stories on a daily basis.

Drop my rep rating to Zero for all I care, I'm tired of the all the recent bullsh@t, it's time to take this site back, and start appreciating all the work Scot does.

Steve Boxma
steveboxma@royallepage.ca

First off don't cloud the issue with BS about people not appreaciating Scot, not one person has complained about Scots Hard Work to the contrary all his work is more then well appreciated by all.

Steve all the things you mentioned above are the "users choice" to click on or not!

An idea I have mentioned a few times would be to have a DU/BB choice lead page similar to many other sites that would help a lot.
Yes I will be looking into BB though I have no real need and will not add any extra costs. The only point that most DU's are making is that due to the video the site is dragging during initial load, it takes several minutes to get at the speed change box if you know it is available. Plus after you have seen the video once or twice its OLD! Is it really worth the price of speed and the arguments caused? Put the BB stuff in its own section and put the "choice" in the users mouse!

Formula Jr
11-13-2005, 10:48 AM
I have no complaints, at all, even at 28K.
I love the Geoo run. I study it for clues how his boat actually works.
Since I cache all the new stuff, most of the construction of pages is local and comes off my harddrive. So I only have to wait once if something is new. If someone is doing a total refresh from the web each time, and not cacheing stuff, I can see why they would think things are way too slow.
But that's not Scot's problem.

The avatars have more to do with cpu cycle stealing than download times. Again that isn't Scot's problem if you are on an old machine like me.

roadtrip se
11-13-2005, 11:16 AM
BB rules! I am fortunate that my company picks up some of what I like to call my "infrastructure" costs, since I have a virtual office in my walkout basement.

I never realized how much electronic crap I have until I walked through my office one night and saw all of the little green lights glowing in the dark like a martian invasion.

There are other ways to realize some savings though an investment in BB. One for instance is VOIP. I now have Packet 8X8 which gives me unlimited long distance and local services for $20 per month. I hated writing that check to Verizon for $45 just for local phone service. No more and I can call Lenny, Boxy, Doc, or Poodle without thinking about the LD charges when the mood strikes.

In regards to the glacier comment. Scot is right on! I still listen to my old college radio station and the DFW stations that we listened to every day in Texas. As an example, another great eye opener for me was HDTV. Jill and I don't watch much TV, other than news and some sports. I just don't get shows like Desparate Housewives. Never could understand people with their monster TVs wasting time sitting in front of the tube. But then I saw my first HDTV. One Netflix subscription and a HDTV big screen later and Jill and I are at the movies any time we want. No different than dial up versus BB. You don't know what you are missing.

Time for an upgrade, if you can!

boldts
11-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Using Road Runner at home and Network at work. I'm loving watching the video of Geo's X-18 at the top of the page. Broadband isn't as cheap, but if it's available where I live, I'll always find a way to have it in my home.

Patti
11-13-2005, 02:11 PM
Since the only option for us is dial up..I've called both Charter and our local phone company and we are not eligible for cable or DSL, I thought about Direcway..Satellite internet since we have directtv.
Has anyone had any experience with it?
I've read some reviews on it on Dslreports.com and a few other sites and the reviews are really mixed. I'd rather hear some firsthand experiences.
It's about $200 startup at $99 a month for 15 months and then it drops to $60 a month for the remainer..thing is..they want a 2 year contract and we're leery to signing on in case cable or dsl should become available.
Our dial up is REALLY acting up though..lots of disconnections and even connecting as low as 9.2kb past 2 days..GRRR :jestera:
Any thoughts would be appreciated! :)

gold-n-rod
11-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Our dial up is REALLY acting up though..lots of disconnections and even connecting as low as 9.2kb past 2 days..GRRR

Damn, you two are real troopers. There's no way I'd wait for the internet to work at 9.2. Hell, if I'm dialing in and get a 45.0 connection, I hang up and try again. It's 53.2 for me or 52.0 if I'm really desperate. Even then, I get the urge to pick up my cudgel and go out and try to snag a few dinosaurs while I'm waiting for the pages to load. :smash:

joseph m. hahnl
11-13-2005, 05:48 PM
Dial up here at a whopping 28.8k on a good day :)

Dido: I got Juno slow band Dial up:banghead:

joe

penbroke
11-13-2005, 06:22 PM
I have dial-up at work and cable at home. The site works great at either location even with the avatars and big photos. The ONLY thing that really bogged it down was the constant video. It killed the dial-up and was noticable with the cable modem as well.

I love the videos and save them all. They get me through the winter but I don't see the point of it running all the time. Once I watched it through a couple times it just became a distraction.

Thanks for all your effort HM. :yes: The new header looks good but I can't find my bookie...

Frank :lookaroun

Chili 18
11-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Since the only option for us is dial up..I've called both Charter and our local phone company and we are not eligible for cable or DSL, I thought about Direcway..Satellite internet since we have directtv.
Has anyone had any experience with it?
I've read some reviews on it on Dslreports.com and a few other sites and the reviews are really mixed. I'd rather hear some firsthand experiences.
It's about $200 startup at $99 a month for 15 months and then it drops to $60 a month for the remainer..thing is..they want a 2 year contract and we're leery to signing on in case cable or dsl should become available.
Our dial up is REALLY acting up though..lots of disconnections and even connecting as low as 9.2kb past 2 days..GRRR :jestera:
Any thoughts would be appreciated! :)

I had direcway.

It was the only BB available here before cable modems arrived. Still no DSL available...

Direcway was pretty good. The issues were a time latency as you wait for your uploads and downloads to make the trip to outerspace and back to earth. Not really noticable in day to day use. Only important for high speed interactive gaming or other applications gaining from "instant" response. When downloading or listening to live music or video, it was great.

I did have to sweep the snow off it after a heavy storm...

Cable or DSL is better. But Direcway is lightyears ahead of dialup.

With ANY BB. Firewall and all security becomes more an issue!

gcarter
11-14-2005, 08:32 AM
A few weeks ago I had a sales appointment way out in West Marion county, FL. The nearest cable was over ten miles away.
They had satelite up and down service (Dish Network I think). It was a bit pricey but the results were astounding. It seems like it was a bit more than a full load of digital programming.
I guess it's about how important it is to someone, but this is an option none the less.

mattyboy
11-14-2005, 08:47 AM
I use my neighbor's wireless connection ;)
becareful with the dish net work sometimes they are not true up/down services the dish will recieve broad band but uploads need to be on a dial up line

Rootsy
11-14-2005, 11:38 AM
yes there is slow dialup at home but the 28.8 comes from the number of analog to digital conversions between the home and the phone company... nothing anyone can do bout it... we are wired for DSL on 12000 foot rings.. we are at about 10000 feet... BUT the phone company took those millions in grants and did whatever else with it instead of actually installing the DSL hardware in the terminals at each ring... they keep saying "next year"... so who knows...

we live exactly 2 miles west of town and cable stops AT THE CITY LIMIT... but there are plenty of people on our road.. go figure... maybe it is the large amish population in the area... and the cable company figures it isn't worth it????

i refuse to pay the money for directway... it's like being kicked in the gonads to surf at sub DSL speeds... and if it acts like our directv i say screw them.. everytime it rains you have no TV... also for the price of directway... well that is worse than filling the gas tank in the F150 last october...

i had cable for a couple of years at the old place.. it was great.. 6 mb flying cept in the summer when the lines got hot and swelled and the connection died... soon as it cooled off things were all better.. comcast refused to do a thing bout it... before that i had 56K dialup

so i guess i do all of my surfin from work since we have a dedicated charter cable connection which is 6mb down and about 1 mb up... i do miss being able to do all of the high speed downloads and streaming at home... i hate having to bring my laptop to work to plug into the network to do windows and anti virus updates and such...

personally i am in no real hurry when i am doing anything online other than trying to bid on ebay... only things that tick me off are when connections "time out"...

back to boats... i'm with boxy :)

Patti
11-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Oh this isnt finished yet :biggrin:
Just because YOU get the pleasure of Broadband at work doesnt mean I dont want it at home :)
So :p

joseph m. hahnl
11-14-2005, 03:34 PM
Just because YOU get the pleasure of Broadband at work doesnt mean I dont want it at home :)

Patti: If there are enough people on your street who want or need cable they will install the line.Talk to your neighbors and see if you can get a petition going. They installed a 1/2 a mile of cable down to my house and one other house at the end of the road ."all that for 2 more houses"

Here's food for thought how does a lab top work on the wireless network and how much if any faster is it then the land line?

joe

boxy
11-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Just because YOU get the pleasure of Broads at work doesnt mean I dont want it at home :)

Damn, Rootsy, you better start taking care of Patti...

beer/hockey/donzi chat tonight ???

Patti
11-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Damn, Rootsy, you better start taking care of Patti...
beer/hockey/donzi chat tonight ???
OMG! BOXY! :rlol:
Took me a minute before I noticed that Broadband became "broads"!
Trust me, I've seen the broads he works with, i'm not worried in the least :jestera:
I'll tell him about chat tonight, he is off shooting his gun in preparation for his Deer Hunting week up north this coming weekend :)

Patti
11-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Patti: If there are enough people on your street who want or need cable they will install the line.Talk to your neighbors and see if you can get a petition going. They installed a 1/2 a mile of cable down to my house and one other house at the end of the road ."all that for 2 more houses"
Here's food for thought how does a lab top work on the wireless network and how much if any faster is it then the land line?
joe
Joe, already tried that..we live in a pretty rural area and there is really no demand for cable whatsoever here..I dont think we can talk the Amish into it either :rlol:
I've pretty much called them over and over and they have no plans in the near future to put cable out this way..Charter was nice enough but said it might be a couple of years at the soonest before it makes it out this way .. hopefully we can figure something out..i'm still considering the direcway..dial up isnt terrible..but I cant do anything but real email and news etc..anything with graphics or java pretty much does us in :yes:

McGary911
11-14-2005, 04:34 PM
joe

Typically, you won't see any difference in speeds whether on a wired LAN or a wireless LAN. Typically, your connection on a wired LAN will be 10 or 100 mb, while on a wireless setup it will be 11 or 54mb (802.11b or 802.11g). Those numbers are really kind of moot, as your bottleneck is not your LAN connection but your WAN connection (to the Internet), which is probably around 640k......maybe you're lucky and getting 2mb. Check out the computer forum for a link a site to clock your connection. The only time you'll notice a difference is when you are moving data from 1 device on your LAN to another.....

[BREATH]

ANyway...I use a cable modem at home, and a piece of a AT&T frame relay connection at work...both very fast. I actually saved $$$ going to cable, as I finally rid myself of a wired phone at that time. All cellular now. The only thing that sucks, is when i lose my cell phone, i cant call it from my wired phone to find it. There's ways to do that online too though. Life is much better on a fast connection.

MOP
11-15-2005, 09:39 AM
Called Verizon Dsl will not be available here until sometime next year. I don't want to go to cable as an add on to expensive, I inquired about the phone/cable package but it requires that the phone number be changed. Really do not want to change the number for business reasons so here I sit surfing at the usual snails pace.

Phil

Rootsy
11-15-2005, 10:34 AM
Called Verizon Dsl will not be available here until sometime next year. I don't want to go to cable as an add on to expensive, I inquired about the phone/cable package but it requires that the phone number be changed. Really do not want to change the number for business reasons so here I sit surfing at the usual snails pace.
Phil

oh come on phil... take one for the team... :rolleyes:

mattyboy
11-15-2005, 10:41 AM
the number thing ain't true either opt voice will let you keep your number for a one time charge, hold on I see the problem now :p

Rootsy
11-15-2005, 11:44 AM
the number thing ain't true either opt voice will let you keep your number for a one time charge, hold on I see the problem now :p

Matty,

i have a rather large chunk of coal sitting outside the house i've been meaning to do something with... think i need to UPS RED it east? i could use a few new toys and i have some home improvements to do...

mattyboy
11-15-2005, 11:53 AM
Matty,

i have a rather large chunk of coal sitting outside the house i've been meaning to do something with... think i need to UPS RED it east? i could use a few new toys and i have some home improvements to do...

UPS RED is too fast and expensive send it pony express
when it positively has to be there by the turn of the century ;) :p

TuxedoPk
11-16-2005, 07:55 AM
Phil- How much of a difference is there really in price between the cost for a dedicated modem line plus dial up vs. cable?

I'm not sure who your cable company is but Cablevision charges $29.95/month for cable Internet for the first 6 months.

Phil

gold-n-rod
11-16-2005, 08:07 AM
I'm not sure who your cable company is but Cablevision charges $29.95/month for cable Internet for the first 6 months.

Yeah, but how much thereafter????? Those lowballed promo prices are designed to get you hooked. Just like the crack man. :kaioken:

TuxedoPk
11-16-2005, 08:19 AM
Yeah, but how much thereafter????? Those lowballed promo prices are designed to get you hooked. Just like the crack man. :kaioken:

$44.95.... You are right about being hooked. I'd gladly give up my cable tv before my cable Internet connection. At the 6 month mark it's time to cancel cable and re-establish it in the spouses name... This month it comes back to me but I get a complimentary 2 cordless phone promo as a new subscriber :)

It is getting rediculous... $48.95 for basic family analog family cable before adding any premium channels. At these prices I'm really pissed every time a new foreign language channel becomes part of the line up. It was bad enough with the Spanish stations but now we're starting to get muslim, indian, and hebrew programming.

I agree, at $29.95 cable modem is reasonably priced, at $45 it does feel abusive.

Marlin275
11-16-2005, 11:31 AM
For U.S. Consumers,
Broadband Service
Is Slow and Expensive

By JESSE DRUCKER
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
November 16, 2005; Page B1

The good news for Web-surfing American households is that the cost of entry-level, high-speed Internet service is falling, thanks to competition between telephone and cable companies. The bad news is that even at these low prices you're not getting much for your money.
What passes for entry-level broadband service -- the most heavily marketed since summer -- is downright sluggish in the U.S. compared with that in many other countries; and not just in tech-crazed locales like Korea and Japan, but also in the likes of France.
The inferior value of U.S. broadband service becomes clear when you calculate the monthly "cost per megabit" of Internet access, or how much you pay to get a megabit's worth of download capability.
With Verizon, for example, entry-level broadband users pay $14.95 for download speeds of roughly 768 kilobits per second (three-quarters of one megabit), or a cost of about $20 per megabit.
In France, households can sign up for a $36 monthly service that promises download speeds of up to 20 megabits per second. Not only is that far faster than the Net access available to a typical American home, but it's also stunningly cheap at a cost of about $1.80 per megabit, or about one-eleventh that of Verizon's entry-level service.
What's more, says Taylor Reynolds, an economist with the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, French users get unlimited Internet calling to domestic landlines and 100 TV channels for the fee. "Once you start comparing what's available in other countries, it starts to make you realize, 'Wow, some people have it really nice and pay really little,' " says Mr. Reynolds, adding he gets 7 mbps download speeds even in the countryside.
France has strict "unbundling" rules that force big carriers like France Télécom to make their networks available to other companies offering Web services. That means competitors install their own DSL equipment in the network, but can use the telephone company's copper wiring into people's homes. In the U.S., unbundling is a dead issue because of heavy lobbying by telephone companies.
While entry-level download speeds in the U.S. lag behind much of the world, the situation is worse with upload speeds. This has hit home in the Drucker household since I started sending pictures of my five-month-old son to his grandparents, waiting impatiently for the photos to leave my PC. Uploading digital camcorder movies of Hank would be even more annoying.
Sharing video is just one of the uses of faster upload speeds. Other applications include home health-care remote monitoring, which lets a doctor keep an eye on you in your house.
So what is the U.S. doing about all this? The White House and the FCC say they want universal, affordable broadband by 2007. But the policy is being left in the hands of the cable and phone companies that control at least 93% of the country's broadband market.
The very definition of broadband in the U.S. isn't keeping up with the increasingly sophisticated ways a consumer uses the Web. The FCC defines "high speed" as 200 kilobits in at least one direction. That may have been speedy in 1995, but it's pretty pokey in 2005, when speed should be measured in megabits -- at least five times as fast -- instead.
Michael Gallagher, head of the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, the U.S. Commerce Department arm that advises the White House on policy, says the best way to get universal, affordable broadband is to leave things to the competitive market.
Defenders of this approach point to the fact that Bell telephone companies also offer faster DSL for more money, plus are rolling out new residential fiber offerings, led by Verizon's new Fios service. For $49.95 a month you get up to 15 megabits a second, download, or about $3 per megabit. That's a move in the right direction toward the overseas offerings.
The new service gets good reviews, and Verizon plans to make it available to six million homes by the end of next year. (SBC plans to have its fiber offerings available to 18 million homes by mid-2008.) Also, recent court and regulatory decisions unfavorable to Internet-service providers are prompting others, like EarthLink, to offer a wireless broadband alternative.
Some on Wall Street are skeptical: The aggressive fiber rollouts could suffer if Bell stocks continue to slide. And it would be hard to blame the companies if they did slow down. The Bells, after all, have a duty to shareholders to pursue maximum profits -- not necessarily to fulfill the goals of Internet advocates.
In the end, even talking about market forces in telecommunications is misleading. Phone companies, for example, get billions of dollars in federal and state subsidies for rural service; they also have teams of lobbyists and attorneys to influence policy. As cities try to introduce competing wireless networks, traditional telecom providers lobby to restrict such plans.
The U.S. needs some big-picture thinking by policy makers about broadband. The first thing they need to do is admit that U.S. broadband isn't keeping pace with the global market.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB113210060413998328.html?mod=todays_us_marketplac e

gold-n-rod
11-16-2005, 01:21 PM
So what is the U.S. doing about all this? The White House and the FCC say they want universal, affordable broadband by 2007.

Pffffffffft.:rolleyes:

TuxedoPk
11-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Verizon's FiOS comes (when available) in 3 flavors:

5 Mbps down / 2 Mbs up $34.95 - $39.95
15 Mbps down / 2 Mbs up $44.95 - $49.95
30 Mbps down / 5 Mbs up $179.95 -$199.95

Interesting price jump to 30 Mbps- double the speed for four times the cost

mattyboy
11-18-2005, 08:33 AM
Carl,
I have a few points I would like to you to take into consideration

first this is a tough medium sometimes a tongue in cheek comment can be taken as an insult or personal slight. the use of smileys or email or a phone call in cases where I have been misunterstood clears the air. I am a jokester ,wiseass whatever but I have learned a great deal here and have made some great friendships. To me this is a boating site with a group of people who have the same love of the great classic boats called donzi, we do not have the same personal,political,social, or other outlooks. If one of your post was taken out of context or not recieved the right way try to correct the situation. I have made some post not recieved well and have deleted and apologized for them, I have called others on posts I did think were appropriate.
Some new members have made outlandish statements that took heat and are still here, right choppergun boy!!! :) he actually goes to events now!!! of course he is kinda stuck with the chopper gun thingy :) But some new members recently have had some conduct that in part has changed the landscape on this site namely the donzi girl section

Second Please don't be jaded towards the boards, take the time to get to meet the people, get to an event get to know the people you post with, you might not like everybody but I bet you'll met some great people.

third, the 5000 members is an inflated number there is a large part of people who lurk or were just here for the girly pics I don't want to start that debate here, and also there are some who I feel use the boards as a profitable resource the buy a boat join the boards, get the info and help they need sell the boat and never come back. and there are the older members who don't come back because they didn't like some of the what the new members were posting.Then there are people who rarely visit and that is just their style, the board since I joined in summer of 2001 I was like member 500 something now has 5000 members and has been upgraded several time thanks to Scot and his hard work or labor of love

as in all things "the do unto others" thingy,
the choices are yours

oh one more point you must realize as a new comer you can't just jump into the fray sometimes, some threads might seem like an all out knock down fight but are really just a lil bustin on the parts of 2 friends who have a history together
wait hold on one minute the mailman is here with another tuna can full of crap ;)

to any new members reading this, it would be in your best interest to sit and read the older posts it would let you get to know us and also maybe answer a few questions that have been discussed on numerous occassions which sometimes drives the older members nutz cause it has been hashed and rehashed but if a new member takes the time to read the threads on a subject and then ask a question with that info already in hand the knowledge and expierence of the members on this board is unparrelled

boxy
11-18-2005, 09:04 AM
Carl, I appreciate what you have contributed to the site dollar wise, and I wasn't implying that you hadn't helped Scot out with a donation, but it is your non-monetary contributions that will remembered, right or wrong.
Hang around, do some reading, the chopper gun incident, and the kevlar thong are 2 of the best threads to put this whole carnival ride into perspective.
It's going to be along winter, so let's start planning the summer roadtrips, there was already talk of a couple of round trip south/north/south circles involving the 1000 Islands, and Lake Winni, and we need to see more MI boats on the St.Lawrence this year. Make it happen, and we'll see you when the water isn't solid.... :D

Carl C
11-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Boxy, Thanks. I will stick around and am looking forward to participating in some of the Lake St. Clair gatherings next summer. I hi-jacked this thread didn't I!!!!!!!!!!!

boldts
11-20-2005, 07:28 AM
Every now and then you start to see those join up now commercials offering $30 cable for a year. Rather than changing the name on the account every time one comes out, I simply pick up the phone, call my cable co. and ask them why a devoted customer for the last 10 years isn't offered some sort of price break. I'm getting my cable for $30 a month for the next year because of this.

Then there is when the cable goes out for any length of time. When it does, again pick up the phone and start complaining how you work on websites out of your home office and because the service is down, your not able to work which causes loss of income. I've had them offer me a week of free service for an hour long outage. Of course checked on the next monthly bill coming thru the door. Obviously, you can't do this every week of the year, but using the old addage that the customer is always right, sometimes goes a long way.

TV and Internet, I'm paying around $80 a month and wouldn't trade it. Only reason my phone has not gone cable is because my understanding is that you loose your phone when the power goes out. Is that true? Having a child in my house, I want the phone able to dial 911 at any time.

mattyboy
11-20-2005, 09:31 AM
Scott,
yes if the cable modem loses power your phone stops working, nothing a 500va UPS can't fix

TuxedoPk
11-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Some new members have made outlandish statements that took heat and are still here, right choppergun boy!!! :) he actually goes to events now!!! of course he is kinda stuck with the chopper gun thingy :)

What chew talk'n 'bout Willis? :)

Maybe we should trade in the rep power field for a penalty box field. Personal foul, moderator, 2 minutes or whatever the appropriate time frame ;)