PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing Trolling Batteries

TuxedoPk
11-12-2005, 07:34 AM
Is it better to leave them on the shelf or connected to a trickle charger over the winter?

LKSD
11-12-2005, 07:47 AM
An automatic trickle charger is the best way to go so that they dont overcharge (sulfate). Also if the boat is left out in the cold I would put the batteries inside on a shelf. These steps give you the longest possible battery life.. Jamie

TuxedoPk
11-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Scott- Will go with the Battery tender, but can you explain why (just for my own understanding) why it is better to keep the battery charged all winter rather than just leaving them on a shelf and recharging it in the spring? Is it because with a decreasing charge on the shelf sulfation becomes an issue?

Donzigo
11-13-2005, 05:47 AM
Scot, what's the difference in a tender & trickle charger?

Tuxedo Park, I'd check the water from time to time. When the water gets below the plates, the fumes can ignite.

I've always been told that leaving a battery on concrete would dis-charge it..............any truth to that?

BillG
11-13-2005, 08:01 AM
Just one correction, it is the hydrogen that is produced that can cause a battery to explode.

Bill G

mattyboy
11-13-2005, 08:05 AM
winterizing batteries take them out of the boat and put them on the snow plow stay fresh all winter

:rolleyes:

MOP
11-13-2005, 09:02 AM
It is an "Old Wives" tale about discharging batteries if put on a concrete floor!

A cavitate is with lead/acid batteries you should have plastic beneath them to catch any possible acid leakage which will ruin the concrete & most other surfaces. I believe you can avoid the leakage by using Poodles recommended Tender, cheap chargers even as low as 6 amps can make some acid mess. Ask how I know this!!! I use a 6 or 10 amp charger and do date regimen charging, I run the batteries down away's the morning of the charging dates then recharge after voltage has dropped to 8-9. I have a drop light with a screw in 12v bulb it has a fairly high draw and can be left un attended, it will take the battery down to about 8-9 volts in a 4-6 hour period then I bring them back to snuff. Some say I am wasting my time but I have always been told a battery lives longer if you work it and so far so good.

Phil

LKSD
11-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Battery tender, not a trickle charger... Should be about 45 bucksish.....

Sorry Poodle, I stand corrected. You are correct, I should have said tender. I am just use to using the term trickle charging generically.. Jamie