PDA

View Full Version : For our Dial up Folks...

harbormaster
11-10-2005, 09:47 PM
OK in the bottom left corner is a drop down box whre you can choose the style of the website. I have added a style that is called 56K. This is a grey scale style without the eye candy that should load a lot quicker for you folks.

Scot

Patti
11-11-2005, 06:31 AM
It does load much much quicker, no issues at all :)

Thanks!

Carl C
11-11-2005, 06:52 AM
:eek: :eek: I tried out the different formats to see what they looked like and I got stuck on pixel-tech:frown: How do I get back to vBulletin? If I double click I end up at the vBulletin website.:confused:

Patti
11-11-2005, 07:02 AM
Same thing here :jestera:

Both Jamie & I decided to look at the Pixeltech version and now we're both stuck there too..I can't go back to the 56k version and he can't get back to the original version..

Rootsy
11-11-2005, 07:07 AM
clear your browser Cookies... did the cache first.. no go... cleared the cookies and back to normal.. cept you'll have to relogin

Carl C
11-11-2005, 07:29 AM
clear your browser Cookies... did the cache first.. no go... cleared the cookies and back to normal.. cept you'll have to relogin Yes, that worked! I had to log out to clear the cookies. Thanks.;)

MOP
11-11-2005, 07:57 AM
Thaks that helped a TON! I timed the page load at 44K it took 13 minutes, now it is back to normal.

But I think the choice feature should be the first thing to load for those that do not know about the changes, I feel many will just click off the site feeling something is wrong. Maybe a front page like most othe sites with the choice being the first thing you see, as soo as I submit this post I will click off clear my cache and come back to see how long it take to load the page bottom whic is the last thing to load. I sure hope this added feature is not a detriment to the site.

Phil

MOP
11-11-2005, 08:19 AM
OK it took 3 minutes 45 seconds to get at the box to change to 56K, in no way was the page fully loaded that is just the time it took for the box to appear! Now that is if you know it is there in the first place! Many will un knowing souls will sit there for wondering what is wrong and may just leave! I feel we need a leader page to select speed before the site starts to load or it possibly suffer the lose of large block of readership.

Phil

Sagbay32
11-11-2005, 08:22 AM
What is dial up? I think my Parents used to have it when I was a small child.

Mike

harbormaster
11-11-2005, 08:58 AM
Phil,

Can you get cable or DSL in your area?

Scot

MOP
11-11-2005, 09:08 AM
OK attempt number two to try to post without re logging in!!!

The Performance section goes to graphic mode all others work fine!

It behooves us to keep this constructive!

I took the time to research Broad band "vs" Dial up usage, in the US dial up comprises 2/3's of the Internet usage! The predication is that by 2008 it will approach 50% at which time it will slow down as many do not have any need for broad band! Many do not have it due to cost, availability or just have no need for it. I use this machine for my business, I maintain listings on 4 commercial sites requiring loading text and photos with no issues. Will I eventually switch not sure, when I quit using the Internet for work why bother!

MOP

mattyboy
11-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Phil,

I do this stuff all day with my customers and always find away to save them some money and increase their service

who is your serving telco Verizon????

is this line you use a residential or business line??

what do you do for phone calls when your online????

do you have a regional calling plan???? long distance plan??

where is your isp( what number do you dial)

what are their charges for internet access

working with text and pics speed is important, you could be doing other things instead of waiting for uploads to go thru

and by 2008 50 % of the people who have POTS (plain old telephone service) in their homes might be on dial up the majority of people will have some other hi speed info service ( tv,voice and data)wireless, cellular, cable, pots is an old expensive media most carriers are trying to get away from high cost in maintaing the equipment the infrastructure and the people , there's more money to be made in other medias
I guess what i am saying is
a phone company makes more money if it is not just your phone company but your data and entertainment company as well

www.telecom-support.com

Marlin275
11-11-2005, 10:16 AM
I took the time to research Broad band "vs" Dial up usage, in the US dial up comprises 2/3's of the Internet usage! MOP

"The firm [Kagan Research] estimates a total of 45.2 million broadband subscribers by the end of 2005, and 29.6 million dial-up users. A year ago, the ratio was almost even with 35.8 million broadband households and 35.1 million dial-up users." Remember dial-up? Now surpassed by broadband and fading fast. It just couldn’t keep up with the pace of the Internet, peaking in 2001

Verizon DSL Official Site Get up to 768K DSL for as low as $14.95.
DSL at Dial-Up pricing!

MOP
11-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Matty I have Verizon for my D/U connection I dial into a local hub about 4 miles away with a direct to NYC hub, for out here its not that bad cable chokes around super time. As far as service I have two residential lines, one for the machine on a nothing cheap package, the other line has un limited everything. It runs about $80 for both lines, that is cheap considering the amount of calling I have to do. Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Phil

f_inscreenname
11-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Love the video at the top (in the header) but man it sure slows things down and I have DSL that is faster then most cable hook ups (I am real close to the switching station).

MOP
11-11-2005, 02:26 PM
I can not go to the performance section with out it switching back to broad band mode, even after it loads and I try to switch to 56K it stays in BB mode.

Phil

mattyboy
11-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Phil,

just a quick look

usually a pots line with tax and surcharges run about 20 bucks a month with out making any calls those are fixed charges

so I would cancel the dial up line and ask verizon to put dsl on your unlimited calling line they have a 14.95 a month for a year subscription and it looks to be 768/128 which is at it's slowest is still double what you have
and i have no problem with cable slowing down and we have 3000 houses and cable is the only broadand in my area and it has been flawless for over a year even with
my VOIP

MOP
11-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Phil,

just a quick look

usually a pots line with tax and surcharges run about 20 bucks a month with out making any calls those are fixed charges

so I would cancel the dial up line and ask verizon to put dsl on your unlimited calling line they have a 14.95 a month for a year subscription and it looks to be 768/128 which is at it's slowest is still double what you have
and i have no problem with cable slowing down and we have 3000 houses and cable is the only broadand in my area and it has been flawless for over a year even with
my VOIP

Thanks Mat I will give them a call, I guess even ADSL will be an improvment over 56K!

Phil

gold-n-rod
11-11-2005, 07:58 PM
I get the 56K view on all pages except on the "Donzi Performance Talk" page. There, that goddamned video clip still plays and hogs all the page load energy.

I suggest that clip at the top of the page gets ****canned. As was said before, it will surely chase away the visitors.

That feature sux. :yes:

boxy
11-11-2005, 08:01 PM
maybe it will just chase away the right people......
sort of like that high pitched rodent whistle..... :D :D

gold-n-rod
11-11-2005, 08:29 PM
maybe it will just chase away the right people......
sort of like that high pitched rodent whistle..... :D :D

I believe we were ALL first time visitors here..........

'Cept maybe Scot.

:banghead:

Formula Jr
11-11-2005, 09:54 PM
I dial up at 28k, and the Geoo flick is the best!!!!!!!!!!