PDA

View Full Version : Updated engine!

zimm17
11-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Just installed my closed loop cooling system, MSD wires, Edelbrock performer RPM airgap intake, and Dana marine exhaust. This is a '97 454 Magnum.

Cuda
11-10-2005, 11:47 AM
It looks like you did a nice clean job with that hose garden. :)

zimm17
11-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Thanks! Hard to make $200 worth of rubber hose look good. Geez, I needed 1 3/4", 1 1/4", 1", 3/4", and 5/8" hose! Plus a mountain of hose clamps, fittings, etc. I think it looks better than having the heat exhanger mount on the engine like a stock merc setup though. It's a 5x24" heat exchanger, supposed to cool 500HP. I feel much better about salt water boating now.

gcarter
11-12-2005, 07:21 AM
I'm interested in seeing a few shots of the cooler.
Looks neat!
Also, where did you purchase the thermostat housing adapter with the filler cap?

rustnrot
11-12-2005, 04:17 PM
George, I have the same setup on this V6 (shown here being trial fit) for a Gar Wood speedster that should be finished for Mt. Dora. I got the setup from YOUR favorite place that you recommended to me, Ocean East. Since the heat exchanger is good for 500 hp, I am also FWCing the exhaust manifolds but not the risers.

zimm17
11-13-2005, 09:16 AM
That's the same setup I went with. I got the larger 5" diameter cooler since I'll be running a 540 someday. I had to mount it along the starboard side stringer- it's too long to go across both stringers. The hardest part was the lower waterpump hose. I have an idler pully for the fan belt that blocks every way of running the hose except for the factory bent one. I used that with a couple 90 deg copper elbows (that came with the kit) an some wire reinforced exhaust hose to make it hook up.

I ran the crap out of it yesterday and never got past 175 deg. It runs mostly around 160.

p729lws
11-13-2005, 09:55 PM
That's the same setup I went with. I got the larger 5" diameter cooler since I'll be running a 540 someday. I had to mount it along the starboard side stringer- it's too long to go across both stringers. The hardest part was the lower waterpump hose. I have an idler pully for the fan belt that blocks every way of running the hose except for the factory bent one. I used that with a couple 90 deg copper elbows (that came with the kit) an some wire reinforced exhaust hose to make it hook up.
I ran the crap out of it yesterday and never got past 175 deg. It runs mostly around 160.

Greg,
Did you catch the show on Saturday? My neighbor came back in his 25' Chaparral express cruiser and said it was pretty rough. It looked flat in the morning considering the wind. Guess it got worse.

The motor updates look sweet!
Dan

zimm17
11-15-2005, 04:26 PM
I was out there. Rough? Ha! It was like the perfect storm! The bay was probably 3' chop, the intercoastal was 4-5' confused swells, the inlet was bigger. 25kts of wind all day will do that. I was taking water over the bow, we all got soaked. I'm lucky I didn't get swamped by the occasional 6 footer that broadsided us. Way too much for my little 22'. Next time I'll check the wind report prior to heading out.