PDA

View Full Version : New drive came today....

gcarter
11-09-2005, 07:55 PM
My almost 20 year old A-1 broke last week; http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42476
The lower gears grenaded.
I took Woodsy's advice and ordered a new after market replacement from Sterndrive Engineering in Clearwater, FL.
So far, I'm extremely impressed, not only are they about 1/3 the price of rebuilt, but they come with a one year warranty.:)
So I called them on Monday, they shipped yesterday (Tuesday) and arrived today. I'll try to get it on tomorrow along with the shower. Later I'll remove it and repaint to match the gimbal housing.

Moody Blu'
11-09-2005, 08:16 PM
i heard about these drives, they build them stronger then OEM

need for speed
11-09-2005, 08:18 PM
Looks good George!!

penbroke
11-09-2005, 08:37 PM
NIce! Sounds like pretty good service too. Are the upper and lower interchangeable with the originals or do you need to change both?

Frank

gcarter
11-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Yep, you can replace either one. Perfect match.

MOP
11-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Good deal George, interesting it came in two pieces. Makes life easier yanking the pump out of it.

Phil

gcarter
11-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Yep, less likely for the Brown Truck drivers to bust it....
Easier to handle
Easier for them to warehouse
Easier to buy one piece !!
They also offer Gen II for the same price...$1325.00 including shipping and sales tax.

p729lws
11-09-2005, 09:27 PM
A new gen I alpha I replacement for $1,195??? Sounds way too good to be true!

Did a google search though and didn't find any negative comments. I'd give it a shot at that price difference and the photos George posted look nice.:crossfing

txtaz
11-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Good news George, BUT you know a pair of Kinetico RO systems to drive the fresh water sytem might be a good thing....Ohhh wait, don't listen to me, I have Don running around looking for optical plug heads...
Da Taz

DonCig
11-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Wes, you told me to look for the new BASS plugs, what are Optical Plugs?
I get the feeling that you have sent MOP and I on a wild goose chase!

txtaz
11-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Wes, you told me to look for the new BASS plugs, what are Optical Plugs?
I get the feeling that you have sent MOP and I on a wild goose chase!
BASS???? I said trout. I remember it specifically. You were talking about the pheasant hunting there, I said the trout were running here and ohhh BTW have you heard about the new optical heads?
Da Taz<<<-----Snicker
P.S. Nobody mentioned goose hunting...I'm in thought

MOP
11-10-2005, 12:09 AM
Where the hell is my flash light looks like "Snipe Hunten" Time!

gcarter
11-10-2005, 05:29 AM
What's all this fish head stuff?
Is this about Chinese food?

CHACHI
11-10-2005, 05:51 AM
i heard about these drives, they build them stronger then OEMAre the housings OE merc, or do the cast their own housings? Ken

gcarter
11-10-2005, 06:27 AM
Ken, I really don't think anything comes from Merc.

joseph m. hahnl
11-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Ken, I really don't think anything comes from Merc.

george: Is that complete> bolt on? In other words needs nothing just bolt it together>or are there a few nickle and dime parts that you need to get?

joe

gcarter
11-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Joe, they have a hardware package for about $30-$40.00, which I didn't get, didn't need.

gcarter
11-29-2005, 09:32 PM
Well, I used the new drive this past weekend for about five hours.
Absolutely no problems.
As some of you know, I have had NO outdrive experience prior to buying the Minx. I've probably asked some of the dumbest questions, but everyone has always been extremely helpful. So some of my observations are based on ignorance.
1) It took about five or six tries to install the input driveshaft. The spline fit is MUCH tighter than the old 20 year old Alpha.
2) After removing the raw water pump impellor, the lower went on pretty easily, again the spline fit was much closer.
3) Yes, I DID use Merc spline grease!!!!
4) The paint is CRAPPY!!!.....You understand this is in comparison to the paint job I did on the old drive. When you tightened down a nut and flat AN washer on MY paint, it didn't crack, in fact, when there was collisions with sticks and weeds in the water, the paint stayed on and seldom scratched and the zinc based primer I used ALWAYS stayed on. On the new drive, the paint chips when you look at it wrong. I was going to repaint it anyway to match it better, now I'll do it sooner.
5) I haven't installed the shower yet. But I will soon.
6) When I started it up on the hose after installation, it whined a bit. I'm not surprised at this, after all there's a bunch of new gears and bearings, but is it normal for a new drive? After five hours it does seem to be quieter, or I'm getting used to it.
7) Sunday afternoon I finally opened it up (all according to their break in instructions) and I immediately noticed I'd lost about 200 RPM. Is this normal for a new drive? Again, I wouldn't be surprised.

MOP
11-29-2005, 11:21 PM
George is the ratio the same? Would be worth calling to see if the gears are straight or helical cut, if they are straight they will wine quite a bit more. Have you checked the magnets yet?!!!

MOP

Add On. Did you check the alignment while you were at it?

mrfixxall
11-29-2005, 11:23 PM
Well, I used the new drive this past weekend for about five hours.
Absolutely no problems.
As some of you know, I have had NO outdrive experience prior to buying the Minx. I've probably asked some of the dumbest questions, but everyone has always been extremely helpful. So some of my observations are based on ignorance.
1) It took about five or six tries to install the input driveshaft. The spline fit is MUCH tighter than the old 20 year old Alpha.
2) After removing the raw water pump impellor, the lower went on pretty easily, again the spline fit was much closer.
3) Yes, I DID use Merc spline grease!!!!
4) The paint is CRAPPY!!!.....You understand this is in comparison to the paint job I did on the old drive. When you tightened down a nut and flat AN washer on MY paint, it didn't crack, in fact, when there was collisions with sticks and weeds in the water, the paint stayed on and seldom scratched and the zinc based primer I used ALWAYS stayed on. On the new drive, the paint chips when you look at it wrong. I was going to repaint it anyway to match it better, now I'll do it sooner.
5) I haven't installed the shower yet. But I will soon.
6) When I started it up on the hose after installation, it whined a bit. I'm not surprised at this, after all there's a bunch of new gears and bearings, but is it normal for a new drive? After five hours it does seem to be quieter, or I'm getting used to it.
7) Sunday afternoon I finally opened it up (all according to their break in instructions) and I immediately noticed I'd lost about 200 RPM. Is this normal for a new drive? Again, I wouldn't be surprised.

noisy?just a we bit,ask tmdog he bought the same drive....and about the rpm loss,,mabe your old drive was slipping or theirs a slight gear ratio differance..ask the mfr if it has a differant ratio....

gcarter
11-30-2005, 04:00 AM
noisy?just a we bit,ask tmdog he bought the same drive....and about the rpm loss,,mabe your old drive was slipping or theirs a slight gear ratio differance..ask the mfr if it has a differant ratio....
It is 1.47 for the new one vs. 1.5 for the old drive.
I thought it might be a facter of new parts and slightly more friction at this point.
Phil, no I haven't looked at the magnet yet. I was going to wait till 10 hours.
I do believe that it is getting quieter, but that's all subjective.

txtaz
11-30-2005, 07:38 AM
George, I would be hard pressed to think that a drop of .03 in the ratio would account for 200 RPM. For me, a drop from 1.65 to 1.50 was 400 RPMs.
Does the drive have break in oil in it? Is break in oil heavier than 90w?
I would wait until the drive was broken in to do any comparisons.
Da Taz<<<---Happy George and Elaine can go boating, We hit the freezing yesterday. MrsTxTaz lost her last remaining flower in her garden and it just bloomed last week for the first time.

gcarter
11-30-2005, 08:11 AM
Wes, I'm sorry to hear about Jennifer's last flower. I hope the trauma hasn't been too great. :eek:
Yep, I think I need to give the drive some additional hours. In fact I'm planning to this weekend.:jestera:
Sorry to hear it's so cold where you are.:frown:

tmdog
11-30-2005, 10:29 AM
Carter- -I have 5 hrs. on the new drive before putting the boat up for the winter. The Good- -I gained rpm, 200 to be exact. The Bad- -It still whines and I picked up a vibration that can be felt thru the whole boat. Called Sterndrive Eng. and said the whine is normal and would go away after 5 or so hrs. The vibration he could not explain, told get more hrs.on drive and if it became a problem it would more than likely be covered by warranty.
To explain the speed increase, I replaced a drive with a Bob's nose cone with the new drive. I always suspected the nose cone was determental to speed and handling. I think I'm right. At least on my boat.

gcarter
12-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Well I used the boat another three hours this last weekend for a total of about eight. The whine is gone. No vibration of any kind. It shifts better than the old drive ever did.
However, I'm still down on RPM's. I'll just keep using it this winter, I'm sure it just needs some more break in time.

Cuda
12-07-2005, 10:19 PM
I'm still down on RPM's. .
You weren't checking the rpm with Mr Reed in the boat were you? :)

gcarter
12-08-2005, 07:11 AM
LOL!
My friend Phil is great movable balast. Just tell him where you want him to sit.
He's a great asset!:biggrin: