PDA

View Full Version : Towing Question - Should I Not Do This?

RedDog
11-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Saturday will be my last chance for an outing on the lake this season. The water level is dropping and freezing weather is right around the corner. However, I won't have access to my tow vehicle to pull my 22 Classic.

I will have my son's '95 Jeep Wrangler 4X4, 2.5L, 5-speed, receiver hitch.

From where my boat is parked to the nearest ramp is a short moderately steep driveway, 1 mile of relatively flat and curving neighborhood road, 1/4 mile of flat 4 lane highway; and then a wide concrete boat ramp.

Do I dare do this with the Jeep?

Another option would be a 2 wheel drive Dodge Dakoda pickup, 2.5L, 5-speed, bumper hitch.

Trueser
11-09-2005, 07:56 PM
The guy i purchased the Z29 from was pulling it with a Jeep cherokee. I would say your fine with a 22 classic.

Go for the last run. I plan on it this weekend.

goatee
11-09-2005, 08:33 PM
i have a jeep grd chk. with a class 3 hitch. they are both rated for 5000 lbs.
the wrangler???? i dont know. i would think less. i assume it has a hitch as you did state the dodge had a bumper hitch. (out of the question)

if you didnt have far to go, and it was only just this once,, maybe...
but,,,,,,,,,,depending on the grade of the ramp???? you could be in for more of a ride than you expected.:shocking:

keep us posted and let us know how it works out.

i've been wondering if i need to upgrade my vehicle before i buy or not.

penbroke
11-09-2005, 08:34 PM
I pulled my 25' Sea Ray Sundancer (about 4800 lbs.) home with my S-10 short bed without any problem. I wouldn't do it any great distance though. If you take it slow and carefull you should be fine.

Frank

goatee
11-09-2005, 08:35 PM
Saturday will be my last chance for an outing on the lake this season. The water level is dropping and freezing weather is right around the corner. However, I won't have access to my tow vehicle to pull my 22 Classic.

I will have my son's '95 Jeep Wrangler 4X4, 2.5L, 5-speed, receiver hitch.

From where my boat is parked to the nearest ramp is a short moderately steep driveway, 1 mile of relatively flat and curving neighborhood road, 1/4 mile of flat 4 lane highway; and then a wide concrete boat ramp.

Do I dare do this with the Jeep?

Another option would be a 2 wheel drive Dodge Dakoda pickup, 2.5L, 5-speed, bumper hitch.
what freezing weather?

txtaz
11-09-2005, 11:13 PM
I say you are good. It's a short distance and 4 wheel drive. The 2.5L can get you up the hill (use 4L). My 4.0L pulls the 18 all day long. Jeeps are good tow vehicles and have strong engines.
Da Taz

MOP
11-09-2005, 11:17 PM
Go for it take your time and use the lower gears on the hilly stuff! Realistically it is a mind set what the heck do some of you all think we pulled our boat with 40 years ago? 100+HP rigs with **** brakes and none on the trailers. Forget boats I used to tow my 3600lbs race car on a home made trailer that weighed in about half what the car weighed with a stock stick 52 Chevy sedan. When I got my 22 I went and bought a GMC sub to tow it figuring my V6 Dakota would not be up to snuff, well turns out the Dakota has hauled the 22 way more times then the sub and does just fine. I think there is to much hauler hype, be more concerned about stopping most any decent vehicle will get it going its the stopping that can be a hell of a lot more hairy!

Phil

Formula Jr
11-10-2005, 03:21 AM
I'm surprized anyone would put a full size receiver hitch on a 2000 lb. rated Wrangler. You'll be easily over this by a large margin.
You got 120 hp to work with the 2.5. But its the small wheel base and High CG thats the big problem. The '95s were also the last year for leaf springs. With the tongue weight of a 22, you might run into steering problems, even if its 1 1/4 miles, 2 and 1/2 total.
Beg, borrow or steal a bigger rig for the day. Pay your neighbor with the full size truck $100 bucks or something.
Your son will Thank You.

:yes:

RedDog
11-10-2005, 07:33 AM
I'm surprized anyone would put a full size receiver hitch on a 2000 lb. rated Wrangler.
:yes:
The receiver hitch was added to accomodate snowboard / bicycle racks. Not to haul a boat :frown:

Craig S
11-10-2005, 08:00 AM
I pull with mine. I have the 4.0 in the Rubicon. I have pulled a 21 foot Coronado on flat highways (250 miles) but am cautious. The 16' Resorter presents little problem even in the hill country of Austin.

The Unlimited - the lwb version - is rated for 3500 lbs. Its only a mile. If you are worried, don't do it. You may be more comfortable with a wide safety margin. My brother uses a Cummins to pull his 15' Whaler. He likes a big margin.

You have the small engine, but how fast are you going to go in a mile? Do what you feel good with.

mattyboy
11-10-2005, 08:47 AM
I'd be more worried about the lake level, trying to extend the season one more run and clipping a submerged object and getting an unwanted winter project, the last run on our lake the water was down and I knicked a rotten stump at idle
as yogi berra says
when it's over it's over

Dr. Dan
11-10-2005, 09:08 AM
I'd be more worried about the lake level, trying to extend the season one more run and clipping a submerged object and getting an unwanted winter project, the last run on our lake the water was down and I knicked a rotten stump at idle
as yogi berra says
when it's over it's over

:bonk: Dog of Reddish Heritage! A very good friend of mine who will go nameless, decided to take a run in his local Lake, low water and who knows what all ...ended up focusing the Gremlins on his Drive...which is now in the Emergency Ward of his Local Boat Hospital. He hit something and nearly tore the Drive off the Boat...

IMO its not worth it.... Not to mention what ever wear you may do to the seriously under weight vehicle, if someone was to pull out in front of you could you stop?

A local Landscape Company is now out of business due to poor judgement in a similar situation, in this case it was serious, lots of casualties and injuries.

Red Dog if it looks like a Duck....it probably is...Borrow A Real Truck like Owen suggested...unless I was moving it in my yard, I wouldn't do it. Once your "In Public" you are responsible.

Good Luck

Doc of Nothing, but Common Sense! :wavey:

Mac
11-10-2005, 12:57 PM
The reason the Wranglers have such low tow ratings is thier short wheel base, they have the power and brakes but having such a short wheelbase makes them dangerous to tow with. I would probably do it though for such a short distance, just be careful if turning and applying the brakes.

Schnook
11-10-2005, 04:20 PM
When I think about doing something risky(read:dumb), I take a step back and think whether or not the potential consequences are worth the risk. If it is, I do it, if it's not, I may or may not laugh about it someday. Before you put the boat in the water, find a grade that's similar to your ramp and see of mr. jeep can handle it....

RedDog
11-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Thanks for all of the replies - everything has worked out now. The wife is using our Yukon XL to haul a load of kids to an out-of-town soccer tournament. As it worked out, one of the other moms is riding with my wife and left her Denali at my house along with permission to use it.