PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Gen II RPM Limit

rustnrot
11-07-2005, 07:31 PM
Remember those pair of supercharged rotaries I have? Well, one of them is going in a Donzi 16 hull with a ZF 63V drive transmission, the other I am considering running the supercharged Mazda rotary engine (240 hp) into a new alpha gen II drive. This engine is rated for 6500 rpm continuous-duty. Certainly the Alpha will handle the 240 hp with no problem. These engines are also not very torquey, again not a problem.

However, will the drive live at 6500 rpms sustained? Certainly there is a design rpm limit to these drives, for example, 10,000 rpms would destroy the drive I would imagine. I cannot get information on the drive rpm limit from Mercruiser. I can speculate, though. My guess is that the drive will be ok, but I would like some hard facts or experience before pursueing this project.

As an aside, the ZF transmissions are rated for 5500 rpms (different animal I know) but a high speed pump can be provided to take the 6500 rpms. Now I realize that there is no pump inside an alpha drive but nevertheless there must be issues with lubrication and bearing clearances that, by design, limit the rpms the alpha can withstand.

BTW, when I called Mercruiser they were very mum and, frankly, rather rude. I just called their "information" number and the guy would tell me nothing, fearing, I guess, they would be sued if I did this and it blew up. When I asked to speak with Engineering, I got the response they are "too busy working on new products". Wow, when I was in engineering (not in the marine industry) for 20 years I wish somebody would have told me that! I could have just stayed in hiding in my cubical, refusing to answer questions from salesman or customers!!!

I also sent a version of this question to OSO.

gcarter
11-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Well, you know there IS a water pump in there.

rustnrot
11-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Remember, I know nothing about these things so bear with me. Does the water pump see the full engine rpm or the reduced (after reduction) rpm? Also the water pump impeller could be removed as these engines have a block mounted seawater pump.

pmreed
11-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Remove impeller.

gcarter
11-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Remember, I know nothing about these things so bear with me. Does the water pump see the full engine rpm or the reduced (after reduction) rpm? Also the water pump impeller could be removed as these engines have a block mounted seawater pump.
Bingo!!

rustnrot
11-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Seriously though, IS the rpms reduced before getting to the water pump impeller? Reason I ask is I intend to have the Prop Speed on this boat the same as any other boat. Sure the input rpms will be higher, but I will reduce the gearing and the prop speed will be "normal". That said, if the impeller is on the reduced speed side it will see the same rpms it always did.

Methinks I should stick with a v drive as things such as power steering, tilt, trim, x dimensions, gear ratios and such are too many variables. Not to mention a custom adapter to attach the engine to the drive.......