PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins

Cuda
11-07-2005, 03:47 PM
After swearing off projects forever, I'm starting on the 22 today. I took it to the Boat Hospital (yeah, that's the name of the place), to have them fix the crack on the floor. He's also going to see what he can do about removing the scoop on the hatch. The whole hatch is tweaked I think from the hole they cut. He thinks water may have gotten in the coring and turned it to mush. He's not sure they can save it, but he said worse case, they would fabricate a new one ($$$$$$$$).

While I was there dropping the Checkmate back off to finish the covers for it, I took the cushions from the Minx to them to get an estimate of having them redone. If the price is right, I'll have them do the back cushions, then change the piping on the buckets I bought from PPI that I was going to put in the F20. Then I'll have them redo those buckets from the Minx someday, and put them in the F20. I had to drop off one of the new buckets to be sure they match the vinyl.

He gave me a ballpark price on fixing the floor in the 22, and I asked him if that was with my discount already figured. He looked at me and said what discount? I told him my multiboat discount like I get from the insurance company. They have their hands on three of my boats now. :(

MOP
11-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Joe I wish you well but think you are a glutten for punishment!!!

You do have to envy a man with more boats than shoes!!!

MOP

Cuda
11-10-2005, 05:08 PM
I stopped by to check progress today. They have the hatch off, and built a jig to get the right curve back in it. They made relief cuts in the bottom of the hatch to be able to bend it. They are supposed to get back to me tomorrow or Monday on a price to fix the tranny.

Cuda
11-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Btw, gcarter was right about the crack in the floor. He said they could lift the deck and fix it, but I told them to hold off on it right now. I want to get it running first. I'll probably go ahead and change the gas tank when they split the hull.

MOP
11-10-2005, 09:22 PM
I know you will like the 22 when you get it all together, I hope it turn out to be a good ride with little to no nagging stuff to agrivate you. You deserve a trouble free ride!

Phil

Cuda
11-11-2005, 09:01 AM
How good would this look under the hatch? :)

mrfixxall
11-11-2005, 11:32 AM
cuda,is the trans in your 22 a merc trans or a bw 71or72c?? if its the merc trans good luck fnding parts for it the rebuild kit from what i was told (last year) is no longer available...the only guy i know in the us that could possibly help you with the merc trans is jim from federal marine in ill..he was the chief engineer at borg warner in charge of the 71 and 72 c transmission heres his #708-352-2200..

good luck.......

BUIZILLA
11-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Poodle has the MercTrans parts in stock, or available, including the uprated clutches...

also, Matt @ TNT did both mine and Poodle's recently, they have the parts in stock as well.

Cuda, what EXACTLY is wrong with yours, or what is it doing that your convinced it need an overhaul?

JH

DonziChick
11-11-2005, 11:46 AM
After swearing off projects forever, I'm starting on the 22 today.

I had my eye on that boat....

Good luck with it and keep us posted! :)

mrfixxall
11-11-2005, 12:05 PM
i figures, if andbody knows buizilla does EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! try putting a decent amount of power to it and see how long it last's................

mrfixxall
11-11-2005, 12:31 PM
[QUOTE=BUIZILLA]Poodle has the MercTrans parts in stock, or available, including the uprated clutches...

also, Matt @ TNT did both mine and Poodle's recently, they have the parts in stock as well.

Cuda, what EXACTLY is wrong with yours, or what is it doing that your convinced it need an overhaul?

JH[/QUOTE

Hmmmmmmm... Let me see if i got this rite,poodle has all the parts which he is merc certified and carries a line of boats rite,,and tnt rebuilt poodles and your transmissions Hmmmmm why didn't poodle rebuild them himself and yours if he has the parts....the heavy duty clutches are not going to do you any good if you cant get the oil to them,,,theirs a secret up grade in the oiling department of that trans also......and also 71 and 72c............

Cuda
11-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Jim, it's stuck in forward. Everyone I talk to says it's the clutches. From what I understand, it's basically a Ford Fmx transmission minus the bell housing and tail stock. The upgrade is putting an extra clutch disc in it. The other problem entails clearancing the splines where they go in the coupler.

Cuda
11-11-2005, 12:45 PM
try putting a decent amount of power to it and see how long it last's................
I figure it lasted 23 years in the stock configuration, if it last another 23, I'll be dead and buried before it needs rebuilt again.

mrfixxall
11-11-2005, 12:56 PM
I figure it lasted 23 years in the stock configuration, if it last another 23, I'll be dead and buried before it needs rebuilt again.

I thought i read that the boat had a 502 in it and the guy you bought it from stuck the 454 back in it...the only parts available aare after market clutches that ive seen between .050+ clearance and the pump,bushings bearings etc are no longer at merc...good luck..

BUIZILLA
11-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Mr Fixawhatever.... Randy has 795 hp behind his, and it's been together for a LONG time.... it's no secret about the oil pump mod's and bushings, and plates, everybody knows this already, and they are available with just one phone call.... I never said Poodle had the tools, I just said he had the parts, so don't put words in my mouth. I made the MercTrans installation and linkage tools myself. If you think your more qualified, and have more parts and more training than TNT Marine or Huber.....

Also, I have an in-house BW and Twin Disc technician on my payroll since well into last century, with about 38 years experience under his belt at this point.... he does ALL of my customer's BW's and TD's, in fact we're
doing a 508 for Belize Tours today.

Cuda, call Matt @ TNT, tell him your a bud of Baxter's and me... ask him his opinion... you can also call Bryan at Offshore Drives in Ft. Lauderdale, he built my TRS originally when he was at TNT, Matt freshened it the second time, both are extremely honest and competent tech's.....

JH

Cuda
11-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Jim, do you agree that it's the clutches with those symptoms?

mrfixxall
11-11-2005, 01:46 PM
so you have a twin disc tech on your staff hmmm and you had tnt fix your merc trans,,,, that tell alot about how you work your bizzz im done.....

good luck cuda...

BUIZILLA
11-11-2005, 01:59 PM
now that Mr. Fixnothing has solidified that he is a complete a$$hole....:fire: FYI, TNT *offered* to do the tranny as a package, since they had my boat and my drive already, and the engine was already out, and the price was right, and they had the parts in stock, and the factory tools, on the shelf....:idea:

Cuda, I truly don't know that answer, call Matt.

JH

MOP
11-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Heck Joe need to hunt up that guy on TV that does Automatic transmissyioons!:propeller

boxy
11-11-2005, 07:59 PM
My my, winter has set in early up north this year....

Hey, don't be calling Illinois North.........

boxy
11-11-2005, 08:18 PM
I know what you'd like to call it ......

I thinking the cold isn't what makes Illinois natives slightly off-center.....

Jack Frost
11-12-2005, 07:05 AM
come on guys I was just enjoying a last weekend off, but be that way !!!north will encompass many places south of the mason dixon line this year and yes my cold and frosty personality will surely bring out the cabin fever best in everyone this year

:stan:

ChromeGorilla
11-12-2005, 07:20 AM
come on guys I was just enjoying a last weekend off, but be that way !!!north will encompass many places south of the mason dixon line this year and yes my cold and frosty personality will surely bring out the cabin fever best in everyone this year

:stan:

You **** stirrer you......:biggrin:

Ed Donnelly
11-12-2005, 03:11 PM
Welcome back Jack. Its been awhile. Actually looking forward to a Nice Mild Winter. 2 or 3 good snowfalls, 1 just before Christmas.....Ed

Cuda
11-16-2005, 04:21 PM
The Boat Hospital called today with and estimate on the tranny work. $500 to pull and put the engine back, and $1500 to rebuild the tranny. Galen as Speedmasters quoted me $850 to do the rebuild, so I told Boat Hospital just to get the tranny on the ground, and I'd take it to Galen for the rebuild.