PDA

View Full Version : Angle Plug versus Straight Plug Heads

DonCig
11-07-2005, 07:50 AM
I am getting ready to order some new AFR heads for my engine project and I need some guidance on the spark plug orientation.
I can order the heads with the plugs straight or angled, any advice?

I will be using the Lightening Products Tubular Headers on this engine.

Thanks,

Don

MOP
11-07-2005, 08:05 AM
Don with tube headers the angle plugs should be OK, I would call Lightening they will know for sure.

Phil

mrfixxall
11-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Don,,,,i would check with lightening first,,unless you already have the headers,,the small block headers are only custom order only....the last time my supplier ordered them it took 6 mo to get (supply in demand)and thay only work on high hp small block 500+hp so im told...try looking at the emi thunder with dry pipes 32"long risers and can be custom made to your specs..

Forrest
11-07-2005, 03:36 PM
If for some reason you end up with Stainless Marine exhaust manifolds, go for the heads with straight plugs . . . don't ask me how I know. :bonk:

BUIZILLA
11-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Don, your better off with the straight plug heads.

JH

GG Donzi
11-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Don I just spoke with someone who runs that combination, he said he felt the angle plugs heads are better. And easier to get to the plugs. By the way do you have any Black Hawks for sale or props.

Gus

DonCig
11-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Gus, why would you be looking for a BlackHawk Outdrive and some props?
As I have told a couple of people, massive horsepower will overcome most outdrive limitations. Just be gentle on the throttle.

Yes, I do have a stash of props and one spare outdrive.
If you are looking for an outdrive I think that if you are patient
you can find one for around $1,500. But plan on putting another $1,500 in it rebuilding it with new parts if you want the latest, greatest and strongest. Ted has at least one drive with the right parts for around $2,900. A fair price if you do not have to rebuild it.

Don

d1mbu1b
11-08-2005, 11:25 AM
I bought the angled plugs on a set of AFR 180 sbc heads.
Sorry, have not tried them yet.
I figured the angle will allow the plug to clear the header or manifold.

The pictures show how the plug is angled toward the exhaust valve and potentially away from the manifold.

Hope this helps

Forrest
11-08-2005, 03:47 PM
. . .I figured the angle will allow the plug to clear the header or manifold . . .

I thought the same thing until I bolted it all together and then wanted to pull the plugs. You'll need a good 5/8" box-end wrench to change some of the plugs with angle-plugs heads.

Nice lookin' heads though!

MOP
11-08-2005, 05:53 PM
OK dumb ?? just how much gain do the angle head plug heads give HP wise?

Phil

txtaz
11-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Uhmmm Don, Have you considered the new optical plugs? They work really well and the clearance on the heads and manifords is minimal. My motor guy has talked me into them, PLUS they come with those cool neon plug wires...
Da Taz<<--The grudge match continues

MOP
11-09-2005, 07:04 AM
OK Wes what the heck are optical spark plugs???

Rootsy
11-10-2005, 06:30 AM
you got screwed buying T356 aluminum heads too... havn't you seen the new unobtainium matieral that is out now? 3/4 the weight of aluminum, has half again the heat transfer of aluminum so you can run another half point in compression and it resists saltwater corrosion as well as or better than steel...

DonCig
11-10-2005, 06:43 AM
I called Chad at Lightening and he said that with his tubular headers you can use either plug configuration.
I was at SEMA in Vegas last week and spoke to one of the engineers at AFR, they felt that I should use their 210cc SBC head and they offer hard anodizing of the od and the water passages for marine applications. The engineer was very helpful in showing me how they CNC their heads and he strongly reccomended that if people buy these fully CNC'd heads that you should not try to improve upon their grinding.

Thanks to all for your input, I have decided on straight plug heads.