PDA

View Full Version : All Bubbleheads muster here.....

ChromeGorilla
11-06-2005, 08:18 AM
LOL...... I see more and more people who were submariners here..... just wondering what everyone did?

I was a nuke drop from power school and became an MT. Was on the Maryland from 98-02, then TRF KB from 02-05...... how about you guys?

:flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy

onesubdrvr
11-06-2005, 01:19 PM
LOL...... I see more and more people who were submariners here..... just wondering what everyone did?

I was a nuke drop from power school and became an MT. Was on the Maryland from 98-02, then TRF KB from 02-05...... how about you guys?

:flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy :flag-navy
Well Scott,

Nuke drop A-Ganger, 02/90-11/98 All time on sea duty
First tour USS Richard B. Russell SSN-687 out of Vallejo California
Second, USS Columbia SSN-771 out of Groton CT., eventually transfered to Pearl Harbor
Third, USS Dallas SSN-700 out of Groton CT.

2 of the three were pretty cool boats, the Columbia was too boomer boyish for me.

Once you go fast attack, you never go back baby!!

txtaz
11-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Kinda of a bubble head, Did staff on S1W. Got scheduled for the dream crew out of Hawaii on a fast attack as lead PO in the Nuc E div. Got a kidney disease and got booted to target. HUGE difference between the quality of men in subs and surface. Sub mariners are the best for doing their jobs and friends. But I never missed hitting my head on a steam pipe or something.
Da Taz<<<----Hymmm, memories

DonziJon
11-06-2005, 06:06 PM
I was "Surface" Navy (Referred to by the bubbleheads as "Targets") from 1959-1968. Spent two years at Subase NLon, CT..1964-66 in support of the Subs. I was an Opticalman (OM) assigned to the Scope Shop on shore. (That's "Periscopes" to you land lubbers.) Normally stationed on Sub Tenders, we pulled scopes from the boats and overhauled them as required, then reinstalled them. Back then we had Diesel boats as well as Nukes. Worked on most of the notable ones..Nautilus, Scorpion, etc. Remember when we heard the news.."Sub Lost, Sub Sunk"... Thresher.

After I got out, I went to work for the defence contractors supporting the submarne fleet at Naval Underwater Weapons Systems Center at Newport. (College inbetween) If you are Nuke, there is Real Good money in that. College not necessary (But Nice) if you are Senior Enlisted. :wavey:

txtaz
11-06-2005, 07:20 PM
I hope no offense was taken to the surface fleet (target) comment. I was only remarking on the engineering aspect in which the sub fleet got the best of the best. Which in a pinch was nice and somehow we always were.
Da Taz<<<---Yeah, I was a target....I didn't get shot though

Schnook
11-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Nuke electrician on the MG Vallejo SSBN 658 from 1987 to 1992. I didn't realize what a special time that was until it was over. Saw and did things that if you've never done it, it can't possibly be explained. Angles & dangles, halfway nite, WSRT, Shellback (bow to me wogs!) We were the cream of the crop, weren't we. I was on a boomer, but at least I had my own rack!

onesubdrvr
11-06-2005, 08:33 PM
Nuke electrician on the MG Vallejo SSBN 658 from 1987 to 1992. I didn't realize what a special time that was until it was over. Saw and did things that if you've never done it, it can't possibly be explained. Angles & dangles, halfway nite, WSRT, Shellback (bow to me wogs!) We were the cream of the crop, weren't we. I was on a boomer, but at least I had my own rack!
Although I was on nothing but fast boats, with the exception of (1) short run (about 2 weeks, sea trials / insurv), I never hot bunked,......It helped qualifying COW on my first boat as a newly frocked E-5,.....

Wayne

DonziJon
11-07-2005, 06:38 PM
I hope no offense was taken to the surface fleet (target) comment. I was only remarking on the engineering aspect in which the sub fleet got the best of the best. Which in a pinch was nice and somehow we always were.
Da Taz<<<---Yeah, I was a target....I didn't get shot though

No offense taken. I used to be carefull when using the term "Bubblehead', not knowing how that reference would be received. An Old friend of mine who was involved with "Cable Tapping" in the 60s...once mentioned the term "Target", referring to surface sailors.. By the way, he does NOT acknowledge any connection with any clandestine operations that may or may not have been conducted during those troubled times. He did however, (without comment) recommend a book called "Blind Mans Bluff" by Sherry Sontag and Christopher Drew. Another one was "Dark Waters" by Lee Vyborny and Don Davis. Familiar with the NR-1? Anyone having even the slightest interest in the Submarine Service in the past 40 years should consider these two books as required reading.

pmreed
11-07-2005, 07:27 PM
ASW Officer:anchor: on the USS Hull, DD 945 back in '69 -'70. I woulda chased you suckers if you'd been born back then. You're the exception DonziJon, but you were surface too. Actually, we didn't do much sub chasing; we spent the West Pac tour in Da Nang harbor as a gun platform. The only two subs we ever picked up were one in a stateside exercise, and one in the middle of the Pacific, that flat out disappeared when they figured out we were tracking them. Darndest thing...when I took the con from sonar and started to chas'em, about six pings later they just went away and hid:eek!: .
My next tour in Naples, Italy, I spent a week on a diesel boat in the Med. We were the target of an ASW exercise this time. The searchers never saw us unless we wanted them too. Those experiences really brought home the "stealth" nature of the modern submarine.

Phil

ChromeGorilla
11-07-2005, 09:26 PM
NR-1 is the worlds smallest nuclear submarine. It is also a deep submergence research vessel. It along with its support vessel the Carolyn Chouest are home ported in New London Ct.

When I was a young sailor lad I painted NR-1 while awaiting a school to start in CT....

Schnook
11-07-2005, 10:26 PM
ASW Officer:anchor: on the USS Hull, DD 945 back in '69 -'70. I woulda chased you suckers if you'd been born back then. You're the exception DonziJon, but you were surface too. Actually, we didn't do much sub chasing; we spent the West Pac tour in Da Nang harbor as a gun platform. The only two subs we ever picked up were one in a stateside exercise, and one in the middle of the Pacific, that flat out disappeared when they figured out we were tracking them. Darndest thing...when I took the con from sonar and started to chas'em, about six pings later they just went away and hid:eek!: .
My next tour in Naples, Italy, I spent a week on a diesel boat in the Med. We were the target of an ASW exercise this time. The searchers never saw us unless we wanted them too. Those experiences really brought home the "stealth" nature of the modern submarine.

Phil

We used to play games with surface ASW from time to time and made jokes about their futility. Then we got a helping of humble pie when one of the newer 688's crept up on us, we had no clue. As I recall, lots of 'remedial' training for the sonar girls after that!

smokediver
11-08-2005, 05:28 AM
hmmm...As a Marine from Camp Pendleton attending IMCO course at the NTC san diego , I had a lot of :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: , with a young lady who was an assistant to a senior chief petty officer who was in charge of ASW .... does that count ?

Cuda
11-08-2005, 06:13 AM
My brother was aboard the subtender Holland in the late sixties.

Schnook
11-08-2005, 09:51 AM
hmmm...As a Marine from Camp Pendleton attending IMCO course at the NTC san diego , I had a lot of :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: , with a young lady who was an assistant to a senior chief petty officer who was in charge of ASW .... does that count ?
Works for me. Don't want to hear any 'torpedo' stories though.