PDA

View Full Version : Quick & Quiet tip replacement

moptop121
11-06-2005, 08:06 AM
I will be removing the stock tips with the baffleing to install new tips with no baffleing. I am aware of the noise laws, and not concerned but want to preserve the factory tips.
Is the hardware accessible on the inside of the transom?
Help needed.
2005 18 Classic 350 MPI Bravo 1 moptop121

The Hedgehog
11-06-2005, 08:15 PM
I recently took off the typicall Corsa Tips and replaced them with some polished stainless Livorsi 4" tips with internal flappers. It was a fairly easy operating. I just had to unbolt them from the inside of the transom. I also had to by some stainless bolts.

The results were nice. The internal flappers make some noise at idle. Great sound and can always switch back if necessary.

moptop121
11-07-2005, 07:02 AM
Thanks Louisville boater
Where do I order these tips?
Did you remove the risers and Y pipes for the install?
Did the new tip mounting hardware line up with the pre existing holes in the transom?
Any additional input will be helpful, I will be doing the work.
moptop121

donzi182003
11-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Moptop,
If you know a good welder you can take your tips off and have the baffles cut out. This will retain the stock look and will sound great. I did it to my 2003 18 classic with quick and quiet with a 350 MPI.

The Hedgehog
11-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Thanks Louisville boater
Where do I order these tips?
Did you remove the risers and Y pipes for the install?
Did the new tip mounting hardware line up with the pre existing holes in the transom?
Any additional input will be helpful, I will be doing the work.
moptop121

Trick Marine. Check out their site. If you can't find the tips call them. Fred will set you up. I paid about $140 for the pair and did not need to take a torch to my old tips (good to keep around for potential noise laws that may be encountered if I take a road trip to one of "those" places). The tips I purchased lined right up to the stock Corsa mounting holes and perfectly cover the area previously coverd by the muffler. I did not need to drill anything. I just loosened the clamp between the hose and the tips and unbolted them. One of the bolts was difficult due to steering. I twisted the new tips to line up in the hose. You will need someone to back up the bolts when you install the new tips. Total time took about 45 min. I could probably do it quicker now.

I have heard talk of using a sealant but I found none on the old tips. I re-used the gasket. No leaks yet.

As mentioned before I used the 4" tips. The angle cut looks good but can bite you if you slip while climbing in the back. There are also a number of slip in silencers for the 4".

They look better than the factory tips and sound great.

That should cover it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

moptop121
11-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks Louisville Boater
I will post when finished with this project.
moptop121