PDA

View Full Version : Differences Between the 18 Footer's

bgiles
11-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Hi there, I am attempting to learn what I can about the various Donzi 18 foot models. From what I can gather, there are basically 3 main models, that being the Classic 18, the X 18 and the 18 2+3 or 18 2x3.

I've been searching throughout the registry looking for any comments or pictures that may indicate the differences. I think that I have found some of them but it is becoming very difficult to remember what's what.

If someone could provide some differences between the models, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in Advance

Bruce

Love those Black Hawk's though !!

mphatc
11-04-2005, 09:22 PM
This is intended to be a starting point, so Historians, correct as you see fit.

It started with the
Barrelback 18
in various different hatch configurations, double and triple hatches. Two seats fwd, 3 rear.

The Corsican, also an 18' hull and likely the first production 18 with a round bottom vee. Windshield and seating for 4 with 2 on deck ski lockers. 1968-74

The 18 2+3 round bottom vee 2 seats fwd, 3 seat bench rear came as a outdrive and vee drive with rudder ~ 69 - ?

The the X18, with the small rise to the fwd deck ~ 1970 -

X18 and the Corsican were low volume production runs using the same hull as the other 18's.
Only the Barrelback 18 has a different hull design.

The 18 2+3 evolved into the 18 Classic The term "Classic " I believe came after the Chisolm family sold Donzi, and has carried forth to this day.

I hope I have this right . . it's Friday night and I'm on my third Martini!

Mario L.
Corsican C18 C32

olredalert
11-05-2005, 08:33 AM
-------Excellent, Mario,,,,,,,,the only minor discrepancy I see is that our Corsicans were produced (in low numbers) into the beginning of 1976. Mine is titled 1976 and now Im not even sure that its the last one..........Bill S

mattyboy
11-05-2005, 09:41 AM
yup :)
that pretty much sums it up, the only thing I would question is the corsican being the first round keel, they came out in 69 and I have seen a 68 standard non barrelback rounded keel 18

i would like to see more of the interior of a corsican it is narrower than a standard I would like to see the lockers,
hopefully I'll get to see one in person this coming year :yes:

bgiles
11-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Thanks Guys, I appreciate it !!!, I'm tossing around the idea of trading in my current boat for a Donzi. It's a tough choice, we have the "go fast" 16 footer, the slightly larger 18's, or do I hold out and save some more money for the 22.

I saw one of the Black Hawk's this summmer and said to myself OH YEA, I coud see myself in one of those some day.

Thanks Again

Bruce

Ed Donnelly
11-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Bruce; Where do you do your boating?
16' Rice Lake, Fairy Lake
18' Lake Simcoe(in the bay) or calm days
22' Lake Ontario......................................Ed

onesubdrvr
11-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Thanks Guys, I appreciate it !!!, I'm tossing around the idea of trading in my current boat for a Donzi. It's a tough choice, we have the "go fast" 16 footer, the slightly larger 18's, or do I hold out and save some more money for the 22.

I saw one of the Black Hawk's this summmer and said to myself OH YEA, I coud see myself in one of those some day.

Thanks Again

Bruce
How 'bout an 18' with a black hawk drive??

Wayne

mphatc
11-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Matty,

The first Corsican I ever saw was a 1968 with the "Donzi Marine" script on the rear above the standard logo, C32 C19 I believe, green with white. The second Corsican that I purchased in New York last summer is C18 C16 . .and the title is a 1968, mine is C18 C32 and is a 69. I'll contact the owner of C18C01 and get his input, as that boat went to the New York Boat show as the introduction model.

I have jpgs of my interior and lockers, there are also some at http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42203 in the first post.

I hope I have these hull numbers correct, if I listed them wrong, my apologies, no harm intended, as I just pulled this off the top of my aging brain. :)

Mario

mattyboy
11-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Mario,
I was just going off the model list about 69 so maybe you have something there maybe they started the round keel with the new deck style ??? :)

bgiles
11-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Hi Ed, I curently have a 1993 Checkmate (pulse 170) which I keep in the garage. We live in Markham, so Lake Simcoe is only 40 mins up the road. As you know, Lake Simcoe can become quite a challenge in the matter of hours, so you have to pick your spots and times wisely.

The majority of time I head up to Lake Joseph at Foot's Bay, launch from there and enjoy both Lake Joseph and Lake Rousseau. I've seen plenty of Donzi's cruising the 2 lakes.

As I say, I'm getting the Donzi bug, size wise, the 16 or 18 would be just fine for the waters that I venture into. I have to make up my mind, if I go Donzi hunting, it's probably best to sell my Checkmate so I'm in a position to pull the trigger if something comes along.

Someone has spotted the one on E-Bay that Double R has restored, it looks good but with only 220 HP in it, I'm not convinced it's enough, based upon what I've seen other 18's have for power.

I have a couple of months to make up my mind, we'll see what happens

This is a great Board for the Donzi folks !!!

Bruce

Ed Donnelly
11-06-2005, 08:19 PM
bgiles; I think there are more Donzi's on those 2 lakes, than the rest of the province put together. The majority seems to be 18's. If Cuda ever stops buying every Donzi for sale,an 18 would be a good choice...........Ed

GG Donzi
11-07-2005, 01:15 PM
How 'bout an 18' with a black hawk drive??

Wayne

DONCIG has one, I've been kicking around doing the same to mine.