PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this prop???

txtaz
11-04-2005, 04:31 PM
Well, I got the boat out for the first time since PK and take a look at what my brand new prop looks like. It's sitting in a CLR bath right now but I never had this problem with my other props. Anyone else have this kind of buildup? I know I ran hard and so did Lenny (hehe), and cavitation plus heat adds to the problem BUT this is rediculous. Any ideas? Did I get a knockoff prop? Poor chroming...gorillas?
Da Taz<<<---At least the boat runs, NOW who broke my stereo???

Lenny
11-04-2005, 04:48 PM
I didn't cavitate your prop. I kept it hooked up and ran it as hard as I possibly could, looking for more... :D

Kidding (sort of) ;) but you definately have some sort of galvanic action or something going on.

Ever figure out why the boat DIVES HARD to starboard when you come back from WOT ? That was a strange one and took some getting used to...especially the first time :eek:

How's Texas today ? :)

Trueser
11-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Mine looked the same when I got home.

And I would say it's all Lenny......

RickSE
11-04-2005, 05:45 PM
That's what mine looks like after boating for a few days on Powell, lots of hard water deposits. If I go to my local mountain lake it cleans the prop off or like you said CLR.

Doesn't PK have a lot of limestone around?

txtaz
11-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Yup, I agree it was Lenny. :eek: :eek:
Well after an hour of a CLR bath and scrubbing it came out clean. I think it was a combination of extremely hard water in the lake and a smaller prop spinning faster. It made the calcium and lime stick faster and coat thicker.
Ahh Lenny, I'm giving you a hard time. I know it wasn't you. The steering problem is from worn out bushings from the helm. Why it dives right is BEYOND me. It should go left from the torque.
The next time you get to captain, look for two more 1000 watt amps, extra batteries and hydraulic steering. Ohh and the new Victory trim tabs. If you are looking for me to give away what extra there will in the motor dept. I'm not telling, can't give DonCig any ideas...THE GRUDGE MATCH CONINUES.....
Da Taz with many secrets....Ohoooohohhohooho

BUIZILLA
11-04-2005, 06:00 PM
were the boats left in the water overnight??

I see a tad of cavitation on the back side, but nothing to write home about....

I know SEVERAL boats at Sarasota this year had that look, but all those boats were left in the water for 2-3 days, I attributed that to the Hyatt being a typical *hot* electrolysis marina..

Schnook
11-04-2005, 06:04 PM
I can't believe you gys were at possum kingdom and didn't tell me! (never mind I didn't know about this site or have a boat.) Can't wait for the next shindig so I can meet all you good people.:beer:

MOP
11-04-2005, 06:41 PM
To Quote Lenny!
Ever figure out why the boat DIVES HARD to starboard when you come back from WOT ? That was a strange one and took some getting used to...especially the first time.
Wes is swinging a right hand wheel it is trying to lift the right boat under power, when you suddenly chop the throttle the blade thrust is quickly slowed causing the prop to then pull down instead of lifting. I am surprised you have never noticed it on your boat, yours is a lefty so the action will be reversed.

Phil

Lenny
11-04-2005, 07:09 PM
I am surprised you have never noticed it on your boat, yours is a lefty so the action will be reversed.

Mine does nothing like this. At 60 I could turn the motor off and slowly stop. I spin right and left with the 280. No issues whatsoever. And I have a sloppy old Volvo that I beat the $hit out of.

I have no dive and dig issues period.

I don't buy that explanation MOP... ;)

Richard Rees
11-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Wes. Are you just now cleaning you boat from PK? Do you really deserve a DQNZI?

roadtrip se
11-04-2005, 10:27 PM
it's really salty.. It's the reason why the striper fishing is so good. I hear the water gives you a 3-5 mph advantage over most places... Yeah right.

txtaz
11-05-2005, 06:17 AM
Wes. Are you just now cleaning you boat from PK? Do you really deserve a DQNZI?
Ohhhhhh buckooo, You are asking for it. And today you're going to get it.
Let's see...at the time I had the choice to clean the boat or take care of hurricane evacuees.
Prepare to get wet buddy.
Da Taz<<<---Grrrrrrrr

MOP
11-05-2005, 08:21 AM
Mine does nothing like this. At 60 I could turn the motor off and slowly stop. I spin right and left with the 280. No issues whatsoever. And I have a sloppy old Volvo that I beat the $hit out of.

I have no dive and dig issues period.

I don't buy that explanation MOP... ;)

Lenny under power the prop is lifting one side of the boat when the power is suddenly cut that side drops and the prop is now no longer lifting but instead quickly taking a dive.
It is much more noticable with steeper pitched props, each blade that was pushing/lifting getting the boat to go forward suddenly becomes a rudder of sorts trying to twist the boat in the opposite direction when dragged throught the water.

Phil

txtaz
11-05-2005, 08:26 AM
That's true Phil, a RH prop will lift the right(Stbd) side of the boat under power and lower it when decelerating. BUT on mine it takes a hard turn to the right when decelerating and it should go left from torque deceleration. It's the issue we talked about on the phone about the helm. So she gets a new tilt helm and hydraulic steering when I get time.
Da Taz<<<----Washing the boat

mrfixxall
11-05-2005, 09:06 PM
do you guys have power steering?? which steering tab do you guys have on the drive??? if you still have a steering tab on the drive with power steering try to get the flat zinc plate and see if this is your steering problem when you come off the throttle...merc reccomends the flat plate with power steering..