PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing my 18...

moptop121
11-04-2005, 06:44 AM
I will be maintaining this 18 classic / Merc 350 mag mpi Bravo 1 Brand new this fall. My question is? How do you get to the sea water pump to remove the 2 blue plugs to drain it, The water seperator is in the way, I could remove it away from the pump if I could get to it.
Any ideas? This is my first Donzi winterization. I think I need a 60 lb mechanic to get down in the bildge.
moptop121

moptop121
11-04-2005, 08:10 AM
I am also doing my first IO winterization. I have a 496 HO and acording to the service manual all I have to do is pump air into the heat exchanger until the two green indicators extend and let the water drain. The manual says to only open the two blue drain plugs if the air system fails. I just did the air pump thing and lowered the drive all the way to let it drain and checked the anti-freeze with my little anti-freeze tester. The boat will be stored indoors in a dry but cold environment. I did not fog the motor. Will I be OK. How about some input from you experienced IO owners from the north.:cool:

It is A good idea to fog the engine. The cylinder walls of the engine are bare steel with oil coating of the last engine run. As the engine sets during winter the engine oil on the cyl walls dissipates and leaves A very fine film of rust on the cyl walls. This increases piston ring wear and will reduce engine compression. Dont panic, It takes more than A couple of seasons to see any performance decrease. Fogging oil will stay on the walls all season.
moptop121
The Classic I am working on has the 3 point manual system.

AC18Classic
11-04-2005, 12:27 PM
moptop121,

I just winterized my 2003 18 Classic and I know what you mean about access in that engine compartment. One other thing you should know - if you have a new Bravo 1 drive you must tape up the bottom front pickup when you put on the ears. If not you will lose most of the antifreeze through that pickup.

AC18Classic

moptop121
11-05-2005, 06:30 AM
Yes I found that out the first time running the engine on the water hose.

mrfixxall
11-05-2005, 11:50 AM
just pull the hose going to the theromstat housing and start the engine for a few seconds and it will blow the water out. it wont hurt the impeller..or if it has a belt driven pump take the intake hose off the transm plate and fill a 5 gallon bucket with straight sierra bio antifreeze and let pump suck the antifreeze in the pump,motor,oil cooler and out the exhaust....350 takes 3 to 4 gallons and a 454 & 502 takes 5 to 6 gallons...

moptop121
11-06-2005, 07:43 AM
Thanks mrfixxall
I like that method and will use it.