PDA

View Full Version : Need 16 Trailer

LBSELF1
11-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Some Of You May Can Help Me. I Have 1967 16' With The Original Trailer That Has Small Tires And Weak Tongue. Does Anyone Know Anything About Type Or Brand Or Model Or Any Info On What Trailer I Need To Get. All Help Appreciated.

AC18Classic
11-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Towmaster or Nextrail make some nice aluminum trailers that will fit your 16.
I have one for my 18. Just do a search on the web.

AC18Classic

Johntrip
11-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Continental..... Talk to Madpoodle he will hook you up...!!

LBSELF1
11-04-2005, 02:16 PM
Where Are You? Talk To Me, Please.

joseph m. hahnl
11-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Where Are You? Talk To Me, Please.

Rolls Axle Makes one of the best aluiminum trailers and they are located in FL.

joe

LBSELF1
11-08-2005, 12:36 PM
By Boaters And Dealers Here That I Will Probably Have To Have A Trailer Supports Cut And Rewelded Because The Donzi Is Narrower And Deeper Than Most Boats. Does Anyone Know If This Is True? I Am Dumb About This And Need More Than The Name Of Boat Trailer Companies. Has Anyone Replaced A 16' Trailer?

AC18Classic
11-08-2005, 12:43 PM
By Boaters And Dealers Here That I Will Probably Have To Have A Trailer Supports Cut And Rewelded Because The Donzi Is Narrower And Deeper Than Most Boats. Does Anyone Know If This Is True? I Am Dumb About This And Need More Than The Name Of Boat Trailer Companies. Has Anyone Replaced A 16' Trailer?

Towmaster or Nextrail make some nice aluminum trailers that will fit your 16.
Look up these on the web and give them a call. I have one that fits my boat very well.
Your dealer does not know what he is talking about and most of them don't.
Just tell them your boats year, make, model and they will have the trailer fit your boat. The bunks are also adjustable, so you can move them if you like. Nothing to cut with these trailers.

joseph m. hahnl
11-08-2005, 03:37 PM

NO NO NO: you don't need to cut and weld anything. There are plenty of 7 foot wide trailers on the market. My Rolls Axle is specifically designed for a modified V hull. My Minxs fit on with out any modification or positiong of anythig" I just put the boat on and i was done".
the aluminum frame follows the contour of the boat to a Vee "TEE" . I would Definatly recomend one to any one. They are advertised as the only all aluminum trailers.

www.Rollsaxle.com
joe

mattyboy
11-08-2005, 06:05 PM
it pays weather you go alum or steel to go to a place that fits or customizes the trailer to the boat adjustable bunks can get out of whack, plus it makes launching and retrieving much easier and if you plan on alot of road time I would recomend a tandem setup
mine is awesome, although it is steel but the closest my 16 gets to salt is on the rim of my margarita glass ;)

Joe 7 feet??????? my trailer is like 9.5 feet wide???

Barry Phillips
11-10-2005, 10:14 AM
I had been trailer shopping for a 22 several years ago, when I discovered how regional, almost local trailer manufactures really are. I purchased my 18 on Lake George and the dealer put a Performance Trailer under it, which is probably largest, manufacture in the Albany NY, LG region. If you buy a boat in Western NY State, NE PA, and points across Lake Erie you will see a lot of Eagle Trailers, which I own, painted tandem axle which has been holding up really well. Down in the South Land I would also suggest Rolls or Myco both Florida manufactures. Don’t skimp on a trailer, all the company’s I mentioned above build custom setups for Donzi’s. I mentioned the regional issue only because shipping these things can get pricey, unless you’re going through a dealer. Eagle is a large manufacture and may have a dealer in your area, although you’re a lot closer to Florida. If you use your boat in salt, go for aluminum, painted trailers look better but will start to get ratty over time.

BP

chip w
11-10-2005, 03:30 PM
I put a new Rolls Axle trailer under my '69 '16 this summer. It fits like a glove and is super easy to load and unload. They did the final fitting for it at the local distributor in Tampa. Check their website (listed in an earlier post) to see if they have a local dealer in your area. It's not cheap, but in my opinion it's worth every penny!

joseph m. hahnl
11-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Joe 7 feet??????? my trailer is like 9.5 feet wide???[/QUOTE]

Yes Matty: Bunk to bunk my trailer is 5 feet" the frame also" and then fender to fender is 6.5 feet. It is a 1980 Rolls Axle 24T (24 ft tandem) like I said It is specifically designed for modified V hulls "either that or I got lucky":) the bunks are non adjustable and it is a 3 point trailer. I'd attach a photo but my dial up is to slow and i get a time out error when i try to upload the photos.
Because it's for a 24 footer" a little over kill" the bunks stick out the back of the boat. which is kind of cool because it protects the trim tabs and the out drive especially from rear impact.

joe

fasttrucker
11-12-2005, 02:26 PM
I just ordered a Tarpon Trailer for my1998 28zx:yes: from/made by nextrail.They are huricane specials(all new) from/insurance company claims.800-453-8944.norm.This was $1100 less then a new nextrail.

Bad-Tat
11-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Rolls is the only way to go! I had one under my 16.

rustnrot
11-12-2005, 05:20 PM
I get my trailers from Wesco in Columbia, SC. Attached is a pic of the one we recently got for yesyoucan's 16 v drive. If they can fit the v drive they can easily fit the regular hull. The boat is alot higher to clear the shaft and rudder. Let me know if this helps, I have an account with them.

I do not recommend brakes for a 16 footer but I'm sure others will disagree.......

MOP
11-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Tom got my Wesco for me, it is a real nice well put together rig.

Phil

Donzigo
11-13-2005, 06:09 AM
Whichever you go with, take MadPoodle's advice on the bottom of the post. You'll be glad you did.

Most of the manufacturers set them up from the factory to fit your boat like a glove.

I have been to most of the factories listed below. Some are large, some small, some organized, some not, most are credible and want you to be happy with their products.

Here's a list of most of them................

Rolls - One of the best built, if you got the bucks
Loadmaster - Heard good things
Owens/Aluminium slide on - (I had one, great trailer)
Performance - (I have 2, I for the Scout, 1 for the jet ski))
Quickload - (I have one for the Z-33)
Majic Tilt - ?
Continental - ?

Any others out there anybody?

FYI - recently I re-wired the Scout trailer, an easy project of about an hour. Nothing to it. Cost with all new lights & harness - about $60.

boldts
11-13-2005, 12:26 PM
Since Richard (Donzigo) asked, I'll throw in a club sponsor plug. These are one of the nicest steel trailers I've seen on the market. Primarily because of the added bunks for extra hull support. Prestige is now also building Aluminum trailers to the same standards that they have built their steel trailers. They'll fit the trailer to the boat and have all the Donzi measurements. They also offer all the nice extras.
http://www.prestigetrailers.com

Barry Phillips
11-14-2005, 10:30 AM
Bolts is right, Prestige is an excellent builder and make a great product, great bunk support, nice attention to detail, including recessed lighting, color matching your boat and logos applied to the trailer. I called them and found Prestige to be very pleasant. But it would have cost $900 to ship the trailer to LG, NY, where I was going to pre-order a 22. To make a long story short I wound up buying my 22 from the Boat Store in NE PA on Lake Erie, the boat alreading had an Eagle under it. Although the trailer did not have everything on my wish list, like a flush/folding tongue, disk brakes, welded on spar tire mount and diamond plate steps on the fender tops, the trailer is well made and holding up really well in terms of rust etc. I’ve seen a lot of Performance Trailers as well as owning one and mine was seemed prone to rust, which puzzled me because my 18 was stored in a barn. Another difference is Eagle welds in to boxed steel braces between the A and B cross sections making the trailer very stiff, a step Performance dose not make. In terms of the fender tops 5” non-skid and little creative use of a razor blade worked great. If I had a chose, the Prestige would be a slick way to go, although I have no complaints.

BP