PDA

View Full Version : Tow truck transmission question...

gcarter
11-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Yesterday I visited the only reputable transmission shop in Leesburg and asked about the best mediom size SUV tow vehicle from a transmission perspective, i.e., towing in overdrive.
He told me both Ford (Expidition) and Chevy (Tahoe) have a weakness in this area (since neither one is rated for 3/4 ton).
Except...some Expiditions with 5.4 engines and 4R100 (otherwise known as E400) transmissions.
Does anyone here have any input on this subject?

BUIZILLA
11-04-2005, 12:38 PM
I have zero experience with Expeditions..... although my '97 V8 Explorer did a damn good job.... I have some E4OD mileage.... and tons of Powerstroke/auto mileage...

I have literally hundreds of thousands of miles logged with GM 4L60, 4L60E, 4L80, 4L80E, T350, T375, T400 over the past 35 years... the ONLY tranny's I lost in over 120 vehicles I've owned so far in 35 years, was (1) in a 1983 V6 Jimmy POS (towing an 18' Wellcraft OF at 70 mph in OD) and an 1990 7.3 E4OD (due to a faulty factory TPS setting) I have had both 5 and 6 speed Allison's behind Dmax's..

Other than the Jimmy smokeout (literally, left it at a dealer in Deland for TLC under warranty) I always use overdrive to tow. It can be done with responsible thinking. I have been almost 26,000 GVW in my SD Ford's with ZERO issues. My '93 454/4L80 Suburban had a Whipple.. and that thing was an animal pulling in OD up to 17000 GVW for 85,000 miles. My 1997 and 2001 Tahoe's were 4L60E, and I always used overdrive... my 2004 GMC 1500 was a 4L60E, and I towed my 252 Formula at 70-72 all day long in OD. I had a 1994 and 1996 SS Impala, towed with both in OD. I also currently have another 2004 F250 5.4 auto that tows yet another 302 Scarab in OD.

It's all in how you do it..... and what you do it with....

JH

Tim Morris
11-04-2005, 01:26 PM
I guess it depends on what you call mid size SUV.
I had a '92, followed by a '95 Explorer both were
anemic for towing. 6's mind you.

Then, in a bit of an overreaction, I bought a '99
Expedition with the 5.4 Triton. That was O.K., but
I got another overreation at the gas pump.

Started looking around - criteria was more interior
space than a car (like an SUV) and able to tow the
Minx.

I wound up with a Murano with the CVT transmission.
Did a fluid test at 50K kilos (30K mi) and all is good, but
I'll test again at 100K or post if I burn it up.

Pulls the Minx like a champ in O/D. Rated for 3500 lbs.

Schnook
11-04-2005, 03:16 PM
I pulled my 27zx from Las Vegas to Dallas with a 2000 Tundra 4.7L.
I've always loved my truck, but I was truly impressed. It also pulls it up the ramp without problem. No doubt it's working to do it, but it gets it done. If you're pulling something smaller, consider a Tacoma or 4runner with the same engine.

fasttrucker
11-05-2005, 02:15 PM
I just bought a 2003 expedtion with 5.4 engine and 4-spd auto o/d trans. 3.73ratio axle .4x4 model.max gcwr is 14500 and trailer weight is 8650.Iam going to go to the truck stop and weight the boat as soon as the new trailer I ordered gets in.Anyone have thoughts about this?

Mac
11-05-2005, 04:23 PM
It's not towing in OD that is the problem it is towing in OD at low RPMs, anything below 2000rpm and you do not have enough line presure, the TC will be locked but it will kill it at low RPMs, I always hold it in 3rd in my truck until I am at a speed where I can put it in OD and be above and stay above 2000rpms. Some trucks or suvs cannot ever use OD for towing as they would have to be going 80mph to be above 2000rpm in OD.
I have done a fair amount of towing with a variety of vehicles, in my opinion if you are going to be towing anything over 5000lbs for any distance or regularity you need at least a 3/4 ton truck, the half tons and suvs are not up to the task.

fasttrucker
11-06-2005, 08:05 AM
MAC,yes it does say to use a lower gear to cool the trans.Ill keep the od off till I get to highway speeds.The place here I live at,we have our own boat ramp and boat storage yards.Ive become freinds with a couple of owners of the docks here and can leave the boat in the water for weekends.I do plan to tow to Sarasota next year.

gcarter
11-06-2005, 09:31 AM
We have two 4.0 six cylinder Explorers. They tow to the many lakes around here just fine. We towed to Kentucky earlier and to Sarasota, and these vehicles don't have it. Besides being very short winded, they return VERY poor gas mileage.
So sometime in the spring, we're upgrading. The question now is what? I've heard the 5.4 Fords aren't great on gas, OD or not. Can I get some results that any of you have experienced?

409biscayne
11-06-2005, 10:45 AM
I know diesel is not everyones favorite right now , but my '05 Ram averages around 20 mpg hwy . On a recent trip between Seattle and Spokane , just over 300 miles towing my '68 chev big block pickup ( 4000lbs) on my all steel tandem axle trailer it got 17.9 mpg. I dont tow in o/d , too many hills , but i travel at 70 . I've run Ram Diesels since '97 with no major problems , although i cycle them with 120k aprox. There not quite as plush as the Ford or GM but they have great running gear . My .02 cents.:wavey:

Mac
11-06-2005, 12:17 PM
I know diesel is not everyones favorite right now , but my '05 Ram averages around 20 mpg hwy . On a recent trip between Seattle and Spokane , just over 300 miles towing my '68 chev big block pickup ( 4000lbs) on my all steel tandem axle trailer it got 17.9 mpg. I dont tow in o/d , too many hills , but i travel at 70 . I've run Ram Diesels since '97 with no major problems , although i cycle them with 120k aprox. There not quite as plush as the Ford or GM but they have great running gear . My .02 cents.:wavey:

Wow,
My '03 Dodge diesel gets 18 mpg empty on the highway at best, my truck is a 4X4 auto with 4.10s, at 70 I am turning 2150rpms, what is the configuration of your truck? 20 mpg is unreal for a 3rd gen Dodge diesel auto.

409biscayne
11-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Wow,
My '03 Dodge diesel gets 18 mpg empty on the highway at best, my truck is a 4X4 auto with 4.10s, at 70 I am turning 2150rpms, what is the configuration of your truck? 20 mpg is unreal for a 3rd gen Dodge diesel auto.
My '05 ram is the 3500 4x4 auto shortbed single rear wheel with 3.55's if i remember right it spins around 1750 at 70. Fuel quality really affects mpg , on winter fuel the average would be in the 17-18 range. This is my 4th Dodge/Cummins , i put around 60k per year on 'em , i cant really complain .

Mac
11-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Mine is also a 3500 srw also. The only gears you can get in a Dodge since '03 are either 3.73s or 4.10s, 3.55s are not an available with the AAM axles. If you have 3.73s and are towing at 70mph in 3rd, which is a 1:1 ratio, you are spinning 2800rpms, if you have 4.10s you are at 3100rpms, at those engine speeds there is no way you can get 17.9mpg. Not trying to give you a hard time but it just does not possible. The 3rd gen Dodge trucks are the heaviest to date, they also no longer have any front axle disconnect on the 4X4s, and they are also have more power, those three things really hurt the fuel mileage. My truck weighs in at 7200lbs empty.

joseph m. hahnl
11-06-2005, 02:06 PM
My '05 ram is the 3500 4x4 auto shortbed single rear wheel with 3.55's if i remember right it spins around 1750 at 70. Fuel quality really affects mpg , on winter fuel the average would be in the 17-18 range. This is my 4th Dodge/Cummins , i put around 60k per year on 'em , i cant really complain .

I tow up to 6000Lbs "1969 27 ft Holiday Rambler" with my Chevy G20 Glaval Gladiator.I don't tow that much long distance.It's about 10 miles to the camp
ground. It pulls my minx's great until you get into the mountains.

I would like to know how a Ford or Chevy crew cab with a turbo diesel would work. F the Dodge They have never made a good chassis, Motors and transmissions aren't the only consideration.

joe

Mac
11-06-2005, 05:07 PM
I tow up to 6000Lbs "1969 27 ft Holiday Rambler" with my Chevy G20 Glaval Gladiator.I don't tow that much long distance.It's about 10 miles to the camp
ground. It pulls my minx's great until you get into the mountains.

I would like to know how a Ford or Chevy crew cab with a turbo diesel would work. F the Dodge They have never made a good chassis, Motors and transmissions aren't the only consideration.

joe

Better do some research, those statements might have been true for the 1st and 2nd gen Dodge trucks but not the 3rd gen. For instance, the Dodge uses the same rear axle the GM does, same front carrier as well though the Dodge is a solid axle and the GM is independent, the transfer case in the Dodge is a NV 271 which is also found in the medium duty GM trucks, 4500's and 5500's, much bigger and stronger than the transfer case in the 3/4 and 1 ton GM. The frame on the Dodge is fully box and hydroformed, both the GM and Ford use partial hydroformed frames but not the entire frame, and neither the Ford or the GM is fully boxed in the rear. Dodge has the largest brakes of the big three with the largest swept area.
I do not think the Dodge is any better overall than the GM or the Ford, they each have thier good and bad points, but to say the rest of the Dodge truck is not comparable to GM and Ford is no longer true.

joseph m. hahnl
11-06-2005, 05:22 PM
Better do some research, those statements might have been true for the 1st and 2nd gen Dodge trucks but not the 3rd gen. For instance, the Dodge uses the same rear axle the GM does, same front carrier as well though the Dodge is a solid axle and the GM is independent, the transfer case in the Dodge is a NV 271 which is also found in the medium duty GM trucks, 4500's and 5500's, much bigger and stronger than the transfer case in the 3/4 and 1 ton GM. The frame on the Dodge is fully box and hydroformed, both the GM and Ford use partial hydroformed frames but not the entire frame, and neither the Ford or the GM is fully boxed in the rear. Dodge has the largest brakes of the big three with the largest swept area.
I do not think the Dodge is any better overall than the GM or the Ford, they each have thier good and bad points, but to say the rest of the Dodge truck is not comparable to GM and Ford is no longer true.

I'm not getting in a pissing match over trucks. I did not mean to insult you or your truck i'm sure it's great. You may be right about the full size trucks. But my buddy at work has a Dakota He just had to replace all the ball joints and tie rods> the truck has 16K on it and this is the second time he has had to replace it all. My boss had one also, and he had the same problems. I have owned a few chrysler products and was not at all pleased with the chassis.
I agree every vehicle has it's pro's and cons. But as far as Mid size SUV go A Durango with a hemi would have the same problems with the front end as the Dakota.

joe

BUIZILLA
11-06-2005, 06:07 PM
I had a '98 5.2 Dakota for a shop truck...

we had to replace the ENTIRE A/C SYSTEM at 45k.... :eek: $$$$$$$

then we had to replace the upper control arms, on both sides, twice :incredibl ... because you couldn't buy just the bushings then... $$$$$$$

then the heater core sprang a leak on the passenger front floor.... this was right after the big $$$ to fix the A/C anomoly....

then the A/C condenser went bad... AGAIN... :banghead: :banghead:

if you used anything but MOPAR spark plugs, it ran like complete ****..... went through 2 o2 sensors in a year before we figured this out...

JH

Mac
11-06-2005, 07:18 PM
I'm not getting in a pissing match over trucks. I did not mean to insult you or your truck i'm sure it's great. You may be right about the full size trucks. But my buddy at work has a Dakota He just had to replace all the ball joints and tie rods> the truck has 16K on it and this is the second time he has had to replace it all. My boss had one also, and he had the same problems. I have owned a few chrysler products and was not at all pleased with the chassis.
I agree every vehicle has it's pro's and cons. But as far as Mid size SUV go A Durango with a hemi would have the same problems with the front end as the Dakota.

joe

You asked about full size crew cab diesel trucks, the Dakota and Durango shares no parts with the full size Dodge trucks, just like the Ranger, Explorer and Colorado, trailblazer share no parts with the F250 or the HD2500. So what are you interested in a full size 3/4 ton or up truck or a mid sized truck/SUV? If it is the latter you cannot go wrong with the Toyota Tundra, Sequoia, though pricey it is a well engineered truck that will last a long time, hold it's value, and perform well within it's capacities.

Schnook
11-06-2005, 09:26 PM
The 4.7L V8 in the tundra/tacoma is the same one used in the landcruiser for years, so it's over engineered for these vehicles, plus the guys up in Indiana do a terrific job building these things.

Schnook
11-06-2005, 09:26 PM
The 4.7L V8 in the tundra/tacoma is the same one used in the landcruiser for years, so it's over engineered for these vehicles, plus the guys up in Indiana do a terrific job building these things.