PDA

View Full Version : Today's Donzido list

Cuda
11-03-2005, 09:36 AM
I pretty much have today off, so I'm going to get on some stuff I need to do before Porkey's. I'm going to install a battery switch (so I can leave the automatic bilge on overnight :eek: ), and attach all the new cables in properly. I also need to get the old welder cables out that I'm not using. Then I think I'll run the new wiring for the trim switch, and install it. I've only had it for about six months.

I guess I also need to drain the oil from my trim pump, the mech said there was water in it. What's the best way to empty it? Disconnect the line at the trim ram and turn it on?

gcarter
11-03-2005, 09:45 AM
Way to go Joe!!!

:smile:

txtaz
11-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Joe, Make sure that red inside cap liner is not on the resevoir. Mine was and the cap did not seal which is how I got water in my trim.
Buy 6 quarts of 30W oil and get ready to go up and down. On my Bravo I, I cound not remove the "down pressure" line, so I bleed through the "Up line" on both sides. Do the Starboard first (it's closest), the port is just a few inches from the t fitting. Cycle thru the resevoir until you get clean fluid. Cap off and cycle the drive and start again. It's a dilution problem and after several cycle, it will be clean.
OR, remove the cylinders and flush that way. If you have the clearance for the drive in the full down position that would be best. You can flush each side of the cylinders with brake cleaner and let then dry before putting them back on. Also you can flush both sides of the lines also, but you will need 3 caps for the lines in order to do one at a time.
Da Taz<<<----Trying to earn rep points, Nawww.....Been there done that and trying to help

txtaz
11-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Ohhhh, AND be carefull, they reallly squirt.
Da Taz<<<----Yeah I've been oiled....Sooo???

Cuda
11-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Okay, the most important part is done, I have the switch in. At first, nothing worked!:banghead: I was thinking I had a bad switch. I wiggled the connections on the battery, no difference. Then I was standing there scratching my head and the blower came on (that's what I was using for a meter :) ). I finally figured it was the negative connection on the battery. The hole in the cable end is so much larger than the terminal bolt. I started to drill two pennies to make washers, but I found some stainless washers that didn't have a large enough hole, so I drilled them out to fit, and it's all good now. I'm glad I bought that set of bits the other day, that $40 set of bits probably saved me forty cents on washers.:biggrin:

RedDog
11-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Do you have dual batteries? I installed a second bildge pump. The original is automatic and wired to a manual switch on the dash. It is powered by which ever battery is selected by the battery switch. The second pump is an automatic one directly hard wired to the second battery. This set up gives me a little more piece of mind when the boat is left in the water overnight.

Cuda
11-03-2005, 04:57 PM
It had two batteries when I got it, but they were just laying in the bilge, so I went back with the original single battery set up under the rear seat. I checked today, the auto bilge won't work unless the battery is on. I'll run a hot wire directly from the battery to the float switch.

Cuda
11-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Well, gcarter should be proud of me today. I got everything done that I wanted to get done, including the new trim switch. It's nice now not to have to pull the switch out and short it with a screwdriver first thing in the water. That was kind of embarrasing. The only thing I need to get to finish it, is these zippy tie dodads that have a screw hole through them. Do they sell them at Home Depot? If you were wondering how well this Donzi was rigged, there were twenty four of these zippy ties just along the transom, and one side of the engine compartment. I guess they didn't want those wires to be bouncing around. :D

G, you would be proud I did it the right way, putting everything back together correctly, instead of doing what my dad refers to as "cumshawing" it back together.:D

Cuda
11-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Phil, I was going to do it because the mechanic told me I had water in the system. I broke it loose today, and nothing but pure clean oil came out. I opened the resevoir and it was pure clean oil too. I guess he just wanted to charge me for a couple of ram rebuilds too. I'm glad I tried it myself first this time.:bonk:

joseph m. hahnl
11-03-2005, 05:15 PM
AND THATS WHY MOPS REP POWER IS 11:yes:

gcarter
11-03-2005, 07:39 PM
G, you would be proud I did it the right way, putting everything back together correctly, instead of doing what my dad refers to as "cumshawing" it back together.:D
Joe, I am proud of you. And I bet you're pleased with yourself too!! :)

Cuda
11-03-2005, 08:18 PM
Joe, I am proud of you. And I bet you're pleased with yourself too!! :)
Yep, and I gave Debbie a big atta girl for helping me by getting the tools I needed when down in the bilge. She also just came home and got those zippy ties I needed for the screws.

One thing for sure, I enjoy working on a boat much more when I know it's running, and I'm doing it just to improve on something. It's much different when you work your ass off on something for weeks, with no good results.

txtaz
11-04-2005, 05:59 AM
Joe, Just a question to pounder. Why connect the bilge pump direct to the battery? If you leave it in the water just a few times a year, leave the battery disconnect switch on at those times.
Da Taz

MOP
11-04-2005, 08:22 AM
Wes I am a believer in wiring direct to the battery, it takes the guess work out of I did or I didn't turn that darn switch on. A mishap of one kind or another can happen, better safe then sorry.

Phil

MOP
11-04-2005, 08:23 AM
Wes I am a believer in wiring direct to the battery, it takes the guess work out of I did or I didn't turn that darn switch on. A mishap of one kind or another can happen, better safe then sorry.

Phil

MOP
11-04-2005, 08:25 AM

Phil

MOP
11-04-2005, 08:32 AM

Phil

mattyboy
11-04-2005, 11:14 AM
if it is wired directly to the battery how do you disconnect in an emergency say the float sticks open your battery disconnect switch should shut off all power as the angry pup says

Cuda
11-04-2005, 12:57 PM
I got email notification of a couple more replies here, but the posts aren't showing up. :(

RedDog
11-04-2005, 05:14 PM
I wire the pump to the battery + side of the disconnect switch, rather than the battery it's self... Matter of fact, I believe that is code...

Sound easy enough to make that change, but I don't see how that is different from directly to the battery? Is the + side of the switch connected to the + battery terminal? Or is the + side of the switch the downstream terminal (i.e., terminal / cable to engine). If the latter, I see the advantage in that with the switch in the off position no power goes to the pump - like Matty recommends.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Cuda...

Cuda
11-04-2005, 05:21 PM
I wire the pump to the battery + side of the disconnect switch, rather than the battery it's self... Matter of fact, I believe that is code...
Good idea Scott, I never thought about that. I like it better, because it keeps all the unnecessary wiring out of the battery box, and it's easier to connect it to that pole I think.

Cuda
11-04-2005, 05:22 PM
if it is wired directly to the battery how do you disconnect in an emergency say the float sticks open your battery disconnect switch should shut off all power as the angry pup says
In an emergency, I'm grabbing wires and pulling them. :)

Cuda
11-04-2005, 05:24 PM
Sound easy enough to make that change, but I don't see how that is different from directly to the battery? Is the + side of the switch connected to the + battery terminal? Or is the + side of the switch the downstream terminal (i.e., terminal / cable to engine). If the latter, I see the advantage in that with the switch in the off position no power goes to the pump - like Matty recommends.

It is basically the same as wiring directly to the battery. That's so I can shut off the battery, but the auto bilge is still there in case I leave the boat in the water overnight with leaking bellows.............as if I'd ever do that!:banghead:

Cuda
11-04-2005, 05:28 PM
No need to appologise, I like when a post will bring up different ideas for discussion.

The reason I want to be able to shut the battery off and still rely on the auto bilge, is I have a very small voltage leak somewhere, and I know if I leave the battery connected long enough, I'll have a dead battery. Also, if I left something on, such as running lights accidently, it won't drain my battery.

I used to always disconnect my auto bilge on my boats, because I never left them in the water, and all they did was cause me to have dead batteries if the water in the bilge got high enough from a strong rain to turn the pump on. This was always in outboard boats that were on a trailer, so the water getting in the engine from rain wasn't a concern. Dead batteries are always a concern for me. :)

DonziJon
11-04-2005, 06:54 PM
I changed my bellows this summer because I found a crack on the underside of the bellows...not a full penetration, but enough to get my attention. Beyond a bellows failure, what is going to sink the boat over night??? This is how to check the bellows: Run the drive all the way up. Try to stick your fingers through the bellows between the folds. If you can't, your fine for now. Not complicated. ;)

PS: Changing the bellows is NOT for the "mechanically challenged".

mattyboy
11-05-2005, 06:10 AM
bellows is the big one but if a boat is setup like mine with a water pickup on the bottom of the hull if that fixture leaks or the hose goes 2 bilge pumps ain't enuff they thought of that and put a shut off valve on the fixture but I would need Karem Abdul Jabar riding with me to get at it

we have discussed this around the docks a few times how to wire the bilge pump

theres pros and cons either way

gcarter
11-05-2005, 07:44 AM
I've thought about this a number of times.....my pump is wired hot to the battery. I like the idea of wiring it to the switch.
You could always use some kind of quick disconnect like a bullet connector.
I also have a through transom water pickup and I put a shut off valve on it. But I can get to it .....if I have too.