PDA

View Full Version : Off the trailer...

gcarter
11-03-2005, 04:28 AM
Recently I posted about re-gelling my hull bottom. I'm still planning on doing this, however we're moving our business to a much larger and better facility (going from 1500'sq and 1200'sq. to a new facility of 3800'sq. with 1200'sq. of office space. So the gel job is being put off till January.
My question is, how can I get the boat off the trailer? :confused:
I would like more than one opinion please. I always really appreciate the depth of experience here on the board. :yes:
Thanks in advance. :smile:

Cuda
11-03-2005, 05:14 AM
George, I have some heavy camper jacks that my dad and I used to get a 23 foot John Allmand off the trailer that you are welcome to use.

txtaz
11-03-2005, 08:49 AM
George, When I was a kid, I used to need LOT'S of bottom work done. I don't know why, but the beach always found the bottom of my boat. My glass guy would tie a rope from an anchor point to the transome and loosen the bow hook. Slowly drive forward until you can block the stern, go forward and block the mid section and lastly the bow. He used big railroad members shimed with 2x4's.
I'm not sure this is the best way, but it worked for him.
Da Taz <<<---has boat not needing bottom work...WoooHoooo

mrfixxall
11-03-2005, 09:00 AM
when you move into your new ship see if the beams over head can support the weight,,if so use 2 3500lb comealongs with nylon straps though your lifting hooks or if you have axcess at csome choin hoists would be easier...when i did mine i have a forklift and a 4500lb engine hoist that i used...when i got it off the trailer i built a wooden box around the boat out of 2x6x10 to roll it ovet to bp the bottom ill try to find some pics and post them..

gcarter
11-03-2005, 09:40 AM
when you move into your new ship see if the beams over head can support the weight,,if so use 2 3500lb comealongs with nylon straps though your lifting hooks or if you have axcess at csome choin hoists would be easier...when i did mine i have a forklift and a 4500lb engine hoist that i used...when i got it off the trailer i built a wooden box around the boat out of 2x6x10 to roll it ovet to bp the bottom ill try to find some pics and post them..
Unfortunately the new warehouse is a large metal building and the roof structure is not designed for lifting...I wish it were, that would have been easy.

gcarter
11-03-2005, 09:41 AM
George, When I was a kid, I used to need LOT'S of bottom work done. I don't know why, but the beach always found the bottom of my boat. My glass guy would tie a rope from an anchor point to the transome and loosen the bow hook. Slowly drive forward until you can block the stern, go forward and block the mid section and lastly the bow. He used big railroad members shimed with 2x4's.
I'm not sure this is the best way, but it worked for him.
Da Taz <<<---has boat not needing bottom work...WoooHoooo
Wes, this has promise, but how do you get it back on the trailer?

Cuda
11-03-2005, 09:55 AM
George, here's a picture of the jack we used. As I recall, we put two under the transom, then put a bottle jack under the hull near the front, jacked them all up until it was just barely off the trailer. We pulled the trailer forward, until it was going to hit the bottle jack. Dropped the front back down on the trailer, moved the bottle jack behind the crossmember and repeated until the boat was off. Then we blocked the bow up while we worked on the trailer.

txtaz
11-03-2005, 10:49 AM
Wes, this has promise, but how do you get it back on the trailer?
Uhmmm, not sure. He would call, I would show up, pay and go. It was already on the trailer.
I imagine he lifted the bow with a jack or A frame and winched it on lifting the keel as he went. You can use a floor jack with a beveled (rounded) wood adapter to do it. 2 A frames would be the best way to support it as you moved it under.
ALSO keep the bunks wet to reduce friction if you winch.
Da Taz<<<---Thinking it's time to play boat even in 40 degree weather, and the missses hasn't even asked for a fire yet...Who'd of thunk it

gcarter
11-03-2005, 11:07 AM
George, here's a picture of the jack we used. As I recall, we put two under the transom, then put a bottle jack under the hull near the front, jacked them all up until it was just barely off the trailer. We pulled the trailer forward, until it was going to hit the bottle jack. Dropped the front back down on the trailer, moved the bottle jack behind the crossmember and repeated until the boat was off. Then we blocked the bow up while we worked on the trailer.
That looks pretty good Joe. I'll keep your offer in mind untill January.

Cuda
11-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Spray the bunks down with silicon.

mrfixxall
11-03-2005, 11:40 AM
i think the easy way is to call a tow truck and tell them to send out their 50 tom tow truck and pay them the $100 to lift it off the trailer.....no guess work involved..............

Trueser
11-03-2005, 03:56 PM
George,
Check with Farmer TX he had the crit on its side I think!

Mike

joseph m. hahnl
11-03-2005, 04:59 PM

I did the same thing when I traded trailers. jacked the back then the front in steps as I slid the trailer out like cuda said. put the other trailer up against the hull attached the guide wire and wound it back under the boat. instead of winding the boat on the trailer you wind the trailer under the boat.

The boat was a 23 feet and full of water also on a slight incline . it was a task and a half. But that aluminum Rolls Axle trailer looks great under my Minx
which Made it all worth while

joe

ps : I used standard boat jacks in the back and a regular car jack in the front

Cuda
11-03-2005, 05:13 PM
. put the other trailer up against the hull attached the guide wire and wound it back under the boat. instead of winding the boat on the trailer you wind the trailer under the boat.

Exactly how we did it.

mrfixxall
11-03-2005, 07:24 PM
TOW truck,,,no thinking,,,one hundred dollars,,, their insurance will pay for the screw ups if thay damage the boat in the process.....................

mrfixxall
11-03-2005, 07:40 PM
if you plan on geling just the bottom your going to have to hang the boat anyway..why dont you just buils a structure to lift the boat off the trailer .

mrfixxall
11-07-2005, 11:25 AM
no biggie,,,