PDA

View Full Version : It's off season, guns anyone???

txtaz
11-02-2005, 05:02 PM
OK, It’s the off season, sooooo let’s talk guns.
What do you have, what is your favorite?
For me:
Glock 9mm – Best handgun made
Remington 270 – great deer rifle
Dad’s Swift 222 – “It will be mine”, great grouse gun…A competition gun.
Winchester 12ga 3.5 mag – Run goose run (uhmm err fly?), prefer pheasants though. Also home protector, I hear bird shot hurts.
Favorite is a Remington semi auto 22 octagon barrel from the 70’s. I used to shoot doves in the boat barns with it until some liberal got in the way. Then I had to use a bull whip (check other posts for references). LOL
Many more, but those are the ones used other than target shooting.
Da Taz <<---Bored and ready for spring but may go boating anyway

smokediver
11-02-2005, 05:09 PM
off season ???? what the heck is that ????? :hyper:

Cuda
11-02-2005, 05:28 PM
It depends on what I'm doing.

Close in hog hunting: My 8"Colt Anaconda in 44 mag. (also my favorite of all my firearms)

Hog hunting where a longer shot may present itself: My Marline lever action rifle that started life as a 35 Rem, and was rechambered to .358 Winchester

Turkey: Mossberg 835 Ultimag the proof is in the pudding (see below)

Quail or dove: Debbie's 20 ga Remington 870 with a skeet barrel

Deer Long Distance: Toss up, either my 7mm Magnum, or my 243 Winchester

Last gun I'd ever part with: My very first gun, 12 gauge Remington 870

FOSTER
11-02-2005, 06:47 PM
For personal defence,home, and work A Para Ordance 1911 LTC. Deer, Coyote,cans or just shooting the crap out of somthing Springfield Armory Socom 16. All around best bang for the buck M1 Garand. Long range either S.A. M1A or Les Baer AR 15. Best to blow off steam Smith & Wesson 41 mag with 3 inch barrel.

RedDog
11-02-2005, 06:58 PM
...Dad’s Swift 222 – “It will be mine”, great grouse gun…

grouse with a 222? sounds like your dad has been bs'ing ya

maybe TX grouse are different. around here you have about 2 seconds on a wing target 10 - 15 yards out

half shell
11-02-2005, 07:06 PM
plinking .... Ruger 10/22 carbine

trap ........ valmet 12 ga o/u

deer hunting.... Remington 11/87 special purpose deer gun

back of truck do anything .... Mossberg 12 ga pump

just because I found one ....Browning 12 ga side x side

carry ........... colt .45 ACP combat commander in stainless with yes of course Federal Hydra shok ammo.

Regards Bob

Rootsy
11-02-2005, 07:12 PM
guns? did someone say guns? i reckon i have "a few" i could always use more...

lets start with bolt action rifles... i think i have enough of em...

Remington 700 Classic (1990 edition) 25-06 Remington... 3-9 x 33 Leupold Vari-X II - tweaked trigger

Remington 700 Mountain Rifle w/ Shilen Match grade 22 inch tube - 280 Remington - Leupold 6.5 - 20 x 40 Vari-X III... and i've glass bedded the action, floated the barrel, lapped the bolt lugs, tweaked the trigger and i've squared the bolt face.

Remington 700 CDL - Never have fired it - first year production through Grice's gunshop in PA... 35 Whelen... no scope at the moment but Leupold QR Bases

Remington 700 BDL super grade Target... 222 Remington, Bull barrel and a fixed 6X Red Field scope... this thing is older than i am and has only ever had a box of shells fired through it... it's spotless in as new condition. of course.. tweaked the trigger

Remington 700 Root Custom... this is a gun i've built myself. Started life as a new 700 SPS 30 '06, of which i robbed the action, magazine and trigger guard/floor plate... the rest was e-bayed... i then called Douglas and ordered a 24" XX match grade tube... i had a 700 classic stock that i'd picked up somewhere and i refinished it and fit a packmayr recoil pad... So i blueprinted the bolt and action, built my fixtures for assembly and truing... crowned, threaded and chambered the barrel... assembled the mess and had a local smith blue it for me in a matte finish... i took the 4.5 - 14 x 40 leupold vari-X III off of the 280 and stuck it on this gun with Leupold QR rings and bases... i chambered this gun for 35 Whelen Ackley Improved... but i ran the reamer a bit deeper than the No-Go Gauge for a bit of extra case capacity... i put 40 rounds through the ole girl tonight with test loads... i'll post some target photos tomorrow... this gun impresses the hell out of me... it'll print sub 1/2 MOA at 100 yds if i can do my part with my handloads... and i am very glad i opted to have douglas lap my barrel when they made it... i get ZERO copper fouling...

moving on...

Remington 760 Game Master chambered for 270 Winchester (my first high powered rifle)

Remington 760 Game Master Carbine chambered in 30-06 Springfield.. another of my grandfathers guns...

Sears 20 Ga - Another of my grandfathers guns...

Remington 11-87 Premier LC 3" 12 ga 28" vent rib barrel

Ithica Model 87 Lightweight 3" 12 ga with shot and slug barrels

My Great Grandfathers single shot 20 ga.. this gun has no manufacturer name and no Model or S/N on it... i had this reblued and i refinished the stock and had the receiver case hardened...

Stevens semi-auto 22 LR - another grandfather gun

Winchester smoothbore 22 LR bolt single shot (my first gun after the daisy)

Marlin 25N bolt action 22 LR...

Marlin something or other 22LR semi-auto (i was given this gun cause it would not feed)... replaced the feed ramp which was broken and whala...

Thompson Center White Mountain Carbine 50 Cal Black Powder

Thompson Center Hawkin 50 Cal Black Powder

The only revolver i have is a Ruger New Model Blackhawk 5 1/2" chambered for 45 Colt... this gun has been worked over... have fire lapped the barrel and i've opened up the cylinder throats and tuned the timing... added a belt mountain base pin and i've also polished and tuned the trigger and hammer for zero creep and a crisp break... i swapped to a Bisley grip frame also after i found out i couldn't hang onto this thing fer crap with "hunting" loads...

I offed my Sig 229 in 40 S&W... traded for the 700 CDL actually... this gun was fun but way hard on the wallet with the amount of ammo i had to load for it... as far as i am concerned this is one of the best handguns on the market... a bit large for CCW though... NEVER had an issue wtih FTF or FTE with this gun... it was fairly accurate and i had adjustable sights on it...

I personally don't care for plastic guns... especially ones with chambers which are not fully supported... especially pisses me off when i go through used brass i am going to reload and find that it'd been fired in a Glock... looks like a friggin guppie with a bulge... so in the trash the stuff goes...

My next handgun for CCW carry will be one of the hammerless 38 or 357 magnum stubnose airweight taurus or S&W's...

I'd also like a 6" S&W 629 Stainless onna these days...

photos tomorrow when i actually have some bandwidth and thru-put to upload photos...

JR - it's huntin season :yes:

sanleonkid
11-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Fav Long Rifle - Weatherby Mk V .257Mag w/ Leopold 3x3 VarXII. Purchased 1987 and have never looked back. bEEN USING FO RtEXAS DEER FOR ALL THESE YEARS

Shotgun - 2 - Weatherby Athena 12 and 20 w/ multi chokes 26" barells.

All three of above have almost matching dark wood stocks. Purchased back before mass production really took over

Pistols - Semi Auto - Browning Hi-Power 9mm 14 shot clips

stainless .357 o/u Derringer (auto protection)

Ruger Mini 14 .223 Stainless (many extra clips)

BUIZILLA
11-02-2005, 07:38 PM
soooooooooooooooooooo.............. :rolleyes:

what's the best gun for traffic ?? :lightning

anonymous :superman:

half shell
11-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Fav Long Rifle - Weatherby Mk V .257Mag w/ Leopold 3x3 VarXII. Purchased 1987 and have never looked back. bEEN USING FO RtEXAS DEER FOR ALL THESE YEARS

Shotgun - 2 - Weatherby Athena 12 and 20 w/ multi chokes 26" barells.

All three of above have almost matching dark wood stocks. Purchased back before mass production really took over

Pistols - Semi Auto - Browning Hi-Power 9mm 14 shot clips

stainless .357 o/u Derringer (auto protection)

Ruger Mini 14 .223 Stainless (many extra clips)

I always wanted one of those mini 14's however trap shooting took all my time.

Regards Bob

MrsDigger
11-02-2005, 07:58 PM
I'm getting a little teary-eyed, here...

I learned to shoot with an old .22 rifle of indeterminate origin...and then Mom taught me how to shoot a pistol with her S & W .357 single action revolver....she taught me how to shoot Bambi with a Winchester .270. However, my favorite is Digger's Glock .44...

Rootsy
11-02-2005, 08:10 PM
soooooooooooooooooooo.............. :rolleyes:

anonymous :superman:

50 BMG should clear traffic pretty well ;)

Cuda
11-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Rootsy, I like your taste in guns. How do you like the mountain rifle? I was thinking about getting one a couple years ago.

Also, gotta love those Rem 760's. Besides the 760 rechambered to .358, I have a Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen that has maybe twenty rounds through it. It's too pretty for me to hunt with. :)

I also have a fairly rare rifle, it's a Browning Lever Rifle also chambered in 358 Winchester that has never been fired. Still in the plastic and box it came in, with the cosmoline still on it.

Rootsy
11-02-2005, 08:18 PM
The mountain rifle was the first gun i bought after i graduated from college.. i had wanted one since the first time i had laid hands on one... the stock fits my small hands exceptionally well... quality is good cept the one i bought... it originally was a 25-06 Rem but would not shoot to save itself... one day i was lookin down the barrel and noticed that the bore had almost .100 inch of runout with the OD of the barrel... So i rebarreld with the Shilen, rechambered to 280 rem and i have not looked back.. until i built the 35 whelen AI this was my primary gun... it still is pretty much... cept i picked up the 6.5 - 20 leupold for nearly 50% off on clearance because of the new models... so i put that on so now i can do some long range woodchuck and coyote huntin up here with some 100 gr hollow points zoomin through my chrono at 3500 fps...

the ONLY thing i do not like about the gun is the amount of muzzle jump it suffers from.. the 35 whelen AI is quite tame... i attribute it to the drop in the stock and a bit of extra barrel weight out front...

i might have the 280 magna-ported (pro-ported) to help iwth the muzzle jump eventually...

JR

Cuda
11-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I think the stock design makes a lot of difference in recoil. The 243 I have kicks about as hard as my 7 mag, they are both Savage 110's.

Cuda
11-02-2005, 08:49 PM
The mountain rifle I wanted was in 260 Rem. I like oddball calibers. I don't have a single 30 caliber anything.

I also roll my own. :)

Cuda
11-02-2005, 08:51 PM
I also have a Lone Eagle pistol that shoots 260 Rem. You should see the muzzle blast at night!:eek:

sanleonkid
11-02-2005, 09:44 PM
I always wanted one of those mini 14's however trap shooting took all my time.

Regards Bob

I have had all mine about 20 years... love to kick up the dirt behing possums and 'dillas at the ranch. othe r than that mostlt targets.. off hand shooting to keep groups as close as possible

Formula Jr
11-02-2005, 10:48 PM
Best Auto handgun family:

Some will say the Browning Hi-Power.
Or the Glocks. Not in MHO.

Best auto handguns ever made were the second generation
SW 39's and first generation SW 59's. Basicly the same gun: 59 just has the hi cap frame and mags.

Rolling firing pin block on safe.
Mag safety - very important!!!!

Beautiful pointing, elevation and windage, nice bluing and finish, light frames, real wood grips and easy break down.

I've shot over 10,000 rounds through both the SW's and the Glocks.
The Glock always needs hot rounds to cycle fully with out stoving. I think they were designed to run hot rounds like the H&K VP 70z's. The weird rifling makes getting a squib round out the barrel a problem unless you feel comfortable about a follow through unplug shoot - I never was comfortable about doing that even if it works.
The theory of why "Glock Safe," is better eludes me. Its still a trigger. All the safety does is retract the pin blocker.

Not a fan of a standard 1911 as anything but a military gun: Big heavy and sloppy. You might as well get a Desert Eagle 50.

Favorite "carry" was the B 32 Tomcat with Silver Tips.

Its hard to beat a 10/22 Ruger as a plinker gun. Expecially the SS model with a choate folding stock, laser and the hi cap mags. Or for the same money an SKS, clip modified, paratrooper with a comp and a red dot scope.

I love my M1 Carbine, the lightness and the style, just wish it worked better.
I hear there are gun smithys that can tune these.

Cuda,
That is a rare caliber for a Browning BLR. I have a FN one in 308 but there isn't much of a collectors market for it. Last gun show, I couldn't get past $600 for the 308 and it's in ultra fine condition.

The Mini 30, I always though was a better rifle. Well, hell the ammo is soooooo cheap....

Rootsy
11-03-2005, 07:29 AM
The mountain rifle I wanted was in 260 Rem. I like oddball calibers. I don't have a single 30 caliber anything.

I also roll my own. :)

260 remington is a nice little short action chambering... it is pretty much a copy and rename of an older cartridge... i forget exactly which one but it is one of the 6.5 x something metrics...

here are the photos from the first test loads i shot from the 35 Whelen AI last night... i think she likes IMR 4350 (#9)... IMR 4064 (#4) isn't bad either... these were (depending upon powder qty in the lots) going through the chronograph at anywhere from 2500 to 2700 fps... that's flinging 225 grains of nosler ballistic tip... i like this gun more and more everytime i get her out...

BERTRAM BOY
11-03-2005, 07:53 AM
Rootsy,
You scare me........ (Note to self, stay on Jamie's good side).

Mr. Haas, You are one funny mother !@#$%!!!!!!!

"Honey, traffic season is coming. Jim says I need to go out and buy a new pistol......"

Anonymous

BUIZILLA
11-03-2005, 08:13 AM
now that I have a new Dmax, Rasta says he needs more protection....

everybody wants in his lane to check it out.....

:lookaroun

Cuda
11-03-2005, 08:21 AM
Rootsy, the 260 is a necked down 308, as is a 243 Rem.

Schnook
11-03-2005, 09:33 AM
I need to get a gun before I'm asked to leave Texas!
Probably a .45, if I miss, the noise will scare them to death.

goatee
11-03-2005, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=BUIZILLA]soooooooooooooooooooo.............. :rolleyes:

anonymous :superman:[/QUOTE

for traffic,,,7.62 sks
my favorite? .50 cal.

BUIZILLA
11-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Goatee...

I need something small enough to hide in my ashtray and powerful enough to penetrate an engine block..... :smash:

yup, while moving :hyper:

completely anonymous

boxy
11-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Goatee...

I need something small enough to hide in my ashtray and powerful enough to penetrate an engine block..... :smash:

yup, while moving :hyper:

completely anonymous

Quarter stick of Dynomite with a 3 second fuse .... ????

goatee
11-03-2005, 12:47 PM
lol boxy!! i was just going to say

c4

JimG
11-03-2005, 12:59 PM
For PPC : 5.5" Smith M627 (six-shot, not the later 8-shot) This gun has been fired, in competition, over 15k rounds.:eek:
Janet's PPC gun: 6" M19
For steel plates: 6" HB 686-7 w/ barrel weight & lite .38's
For bowling pins: 686-7 or custom M28 with bull barrel & HEAVY loads!
Janet usually shoots my 627 for plates/pins... the heavy barrel guns are a little um, heavy...

Numerous other wheelguns, and enough handloaded ammo to finish a war...

Oh, some long guns too...

:D

half shell
11-04-2005, 04:54 AM
I need to get a gun before I'm asked to leave Texas!
Probably a .45, if I miss, the noise will scare them to death.

And if you are npt a good shot if you at least manage to hit somewhere the .45ACP knock down power will make up for it!

Regards Bob

half shell
11-04-2005, 05:01 AM
Rootsy, I like your taste in guns. How do you like the mountain rifle? I was thinking about getting one a couple years ago.

Also, gotta love those Rem 760's. Besides the 760 rechambered to .358, I have a Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen that has maybe twenty rounds through it. It's too pretty for me to hunt with. :)

I also have a fairly rare rifle, it's a Browning Lever Rifle also chambered in 358 Winchester that has never been fired. Still in the plastic and box it came in, with the cosmoline still on it.

Cuda everyone should own at least one browning weather it be a rifle shotgun or pistol. Wipe down that BLR and enjoy!

Regards Bob

Cuda
11-04-2005, 06:12 AM
Cuda everyone should own at least one browning weather it be a rifle shotgun or pistol. Wipe down that BLR and enjoy!

Regards Bob
I actually bought it to hunt with it, but right after I got it, I came across the Marlin 359, which already was a lot rougher gun.

I also have a Marlin Lever in 375 Winchester. It kicks about like a 30/30.

Carl C
11-10-2005, 08:23 AM
I got to do some shooting this week. Nothing exotic, just a 30.06, 12 G pump and a .357. This is where we shoot when I go to north Michigan. Just put what ever you want to shoot at in the pit and blast away. No rules except all guns go down when someone is in the pit.

Rootsy
12-06-2005, 07:45 AM
Long winter up here already so i needed another toy :) actually... anyone need a 700 Remington :lookaroun

JimG
12-06-2005, 08:01 AM
Rootsy, that's a sweetie pie! Six- or seven-shooter?

BERTRAM BOY
12-06-2005, 08:06 AM
Long winter up here already so i needed another toy :) actually... anyone need a 700 Remington :lookaroun

Rootsy, You have mail.....

mrfixxall
12-06-2005, 09:21 AM
ok here it goes
taurus 9mm
ak47 blond stock
0zzi 45 military with brake down stock 10'' barrel
smith 45.70 this one hurts lol
ruger black hawk 44 mag
colt anaconda 44 mag
colt 357 python flutid barrel
remington 1100 scatter gun
ppk 22 & 380
brand new 30.30 bicentinal rif with octigon barrel (winchester)
springfield 30.06
high standard .22 9 shot revolver
high standard .22 mag target pistol
and what evey my dad leaves me when he passes....god bless his sole.....

Rootsy
12-06-2005, 09:32 AM
Jim,

7 shooter...

MOP
12-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Dug this shot out of my archives of me back in 1958 while up in Caribou Maine. Pictured is my 30's error 6.5 sporterized Swedish Mauser super accurate rifle used by the Swiss mountain patrols, sand bagged it could group very long shots like nothing else I have ever shot. My 45 which took months of parts swapping parts with my AP buddies to get it super tight, could unload a clip into a 12-15" pattern at 75 feet. Ruger double action 9 that was my Rat plinking gun, almost every weekend a few gun nuts like myself would get together at the dump and see how many we could nail. My preferred deer rifle of many days gone by a Winchester 30/30. These days I have a few gathering dust a Marlin Marlin nylon 66, old bolt action full choke Mossberg 20ga, Charter Arms AR-7 store in stock survival 22, been shot twice. Also have a couple of relic air toys, an old mint Daisey pump, a old 6 digit ser# Sheridan pump 20 cal pellet rifle that is the only one that gets regular use on yard pests.
Phil

JimG
12-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Rootsy, you'll love that one. I have about 8-9k rounds through mine. It's what I shoot Pins & Plates with. (I have a barrel weight on mine, and replace the front site with a gold dot..) Double action on those is really nice after you dry fire it about 5k times. Drove my wife nutz! But it'll wear in really nice, better than any trigger job. Enjoy!

JimG

Rootsy
12-06-2005, 11:31 AM
Rootsy, you'll love that one. I have about 8-9k rounds through mine. It's what I shoot Pins & Plates with. (I have a barrel weight on mine, and replace the front site with a gold dot..) Double action on those is really nice after you dry fire it about 5k times. Drove my wife nutz! But it'll wear in really nice, better than any trigger job. Enjoy!
JimG

i've been fighting with my Ruger blackhawk in 45 LC for about 2 years... i've smithed it to the hilt and i am still unhappy with it.. once i shoot up the 1000 or so large pistol primers i have lying around i'm probably gonna off it...

my friend has a 6 round 686 which is a few years old... i've shot it a few times and it is night and day different... which has pushed me to buy one... and you can shoot from a rest accurately into a 4 inch circle at 70 yds...

i went through a couple on inspection all over southern michigan... this one was found at Cabelas... this one has a glass breaking trigger... it's smooth and tight, good lockup, very little cylinder shake, super finish in the barrel with very sharp rifling... cylinder to cone gap is right at .005 inches... i've shot about 40 rounds through it... 38 and 357... it'll outshoot me... but i actually enjoy squeezing the trigger on this thing...

if i keep it i will probably have it ported since magna-port is only a couple of hours from me...

my poor eyes are getting a bit blurry at long distances, especially find this when focusing on a target and front sight... i need to get it corrected and i'll be much better off...

this is mainly a hunting gun for me... and any sights i put on it need to be very crisp and visible until it's too dark to see at 30 yds... do you have any experience with the ghost rings???

JimG
12-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Sounds like you found a good one! Smith has really tightened things up the last few years. Putting out a darn good product...

I don't know if I've ever fired mine single action, I'll have to dig it out and try it. Double is smooth as can be, and I haven't lightened any springs. Mine'll hold x-ring prone at 50, double action, when I do my part. (Which is not very often!:rolleyes: )

I've never used the ghost-ring sites. I've heard good things about them, though. I use peep sites exclusively on my rifles.

JimG

Cuda
12-06-2005, 01:26 PM
this is mainly a hunting gun for me... and any sights i put on it need to be very crisp and visible until it's too dark to see at 30 yds... do you have any experience with the ghost rings???
What are you going to hunt with it?

Rootsy
12-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Cuda,

mainly a sidearm for deer hunting but well it'll handle anything that gets in my way... coon, possum, cats, dogs, intruders... :D

Cuda
12-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Good, I'm glad to hear you weren't going to target deer with the 357. It's a bit underpowered in my opinion for deer hunting. It would be good for putting the coupe de gras on a wounded deer though.

Rootsy
12-06-2005, 02:32 PM
actually Cuda, the 357 is more than capable of taking down any deer, antelope, goat, pig or black bear on the north american continent. Push a 158 grainer out of the end at 1500 fps and it's good to go without much issue...

before you doubt me... i have some first hand experience with the 357 and big game... one of my best friends has the same gun and has been hunting with it for about 5 years now... and he has 3 deer to his name with the 686... furthest shot was right around 50 yds... not a deer has taken a step... i was standing next to him for a big doe 2 years ago... she hit the ground like a ton of bricks at 30 yds... My pop has a lot of years under his belt with the 357 shooting a lot of critters including a few deer never any issues... as always... it is about shot placement and using the right bullet for the job...

Cuda
12-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Oh, I'm not saying it can't be done, but it had better be close in, and a damn good shot. As a matter of fact, when I was real young (I was in the second grade, I remember, because I was in the hospital), I remember reading my first copy of Outdoor Life. There was a famous hunter that had taken many Alaskan game with a 357, but we was an exceptional shot with it. I can't remember his name, but it started with a G, Goersts or something like that. Do you know who I'm talking about?

Rootsy
12-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Oh, I'm not saying it can't be done, but it had better be close in, and a damn good shot. As a matter of fact, when I was real young (I was in the second grade, I remember, because I was in the hospital), I remember reading my first copy of Outdoor Life. There was a famous hunter that had taken many Alaskan game with a 357, but we was an exceptional shot with it. I can't remember his name, but it started with a G, Goersts or something like that. Do you know who I'm talking about?

i agree 100% about the good shot thing... revolvers are a lot more difficult to hold on target because of a short sight distance... but put it in the boiler room or the correct spot in the neck and dead is dead.. no two ways about it... but you won't see me trying to reach out 100 yds to take something with a revolver... i limit myself to 50 yds or so... anything further gets the big boomers...

i dont know who you are speaking of with the G... i've read just about everything ever written by the likes of linebaugh, bowen, taffin, elmer keith and P.O Ackley... those guys were true pioneers...

Cuda
12-06-2005, 03:27 PM
I'm with the Elmer school. He theory was a big hole lets in a lot of air, and lets out a lot of blood. Some people think it's cool to kill something with the smallest caliber they can. It ain't like fly fishing, where if they get away, they will live. I generally hunt overgunned. An animal can't be too dead.

thriller
12-06-2005, 03:34 PM
Remington 7MM Mag ..Bolt Action--3 in the hole..clip would be nice

FOSTER
12-06-2005, 04:51 PM
I got to do some shooting this week. Nothing exotic, just a 30.06, 12 G pump and a .357. This is where we shoot when I go to north Michigan. Just put what ever you want to shoot at in the pit and blast away. No rules except all guns go down when someone is in the pit.
Carl, Is this how you guys up north leave your shooting range? Personly I wont leave anything but foot prints behind.

JimG
12-06-2005, 05:03 PM
My main quarry is the ever-elusive bowling pin... and his wily cousin, the steel plate! Cuda, in my game it's all about inertia! Bang..clank!

Rootsy
12-07-2005, 06:30 AM
I'm with the Elmer school. He theory was a big hole lets in a lot of air, and lets out a lot of blood. Some people think it's cool to kill something with the smallest caliber they can. It ain't like fly fishing, where if they get away, they will live. I generally hunt overgunned. An animal can't be too dead.

i do have a 45 Colt that i load in excess of 44 Mag performance :shocking: it isn't much fun to shoot.... big hunks of lead with big flat noses sure do a number on stuff though...

.36 inches isn't too small of a hole... sure makes a mess with hornady XTP JHP's... lot more damage than a hi-powered rifle round... wastes a lot of meat if you put it in the wrong spot...

some goodies from midwayusa and ebay should be arriving before the weekend... i have about 500 lbs worth of wheel weights to smelt:smile:

Cuda
12-07-2005, 06:34 AM
Watch the fumes from melting the lead weights.

Cuda
12-07-2005, 06:38 AM
I have some Cor-Bon 305 grain 44 mag with amv of 1300fps, and 1144 ftlbs from the muzzle that will get your hand's attention pretty quick. :)

Rootsy
12-07-2005, 06:46 AM
Watch the fumes from melting the lead weights.

but i've always drempt of being stupid :wink: yes sir.. well ventilated area... and often times a respirator...

Cor-bon has some pretty hot stuff... i was tossing 295 grain lead casts out of the Blackhawk at about 1410 average through the chrono with 26 grains of H110 :boggled: i couldn't hold onto the gun when it rolled... with rubber grips i took the skin right off of the palm of my right hand... so i am back to wood on a bisley grip frame, better but still not very comfy to shoot heavy stuff out of... i'd like to get rid of the Blackhawk also but i still have about 1000 large pistol primers to use up...

gcarter
12-08-2005, 07:40 PM
How about this?