PDA

View Full Version : Dial up speed test!

MOP
10-30-2005, 04:58 PM
I just ran 6 speed tests from various speed sites, I was surprised to find that my upload speed was better then double my down load speed. Why can't you get the same speed in both directions?

Phil
If you want to test your connection the site below eill let you go to several test sites.
http://www.testmyspeed.com/speedtests/newyork.htm

TuxedoPk
10-31-2005, 07:20 AM
Phil-You've got to upgrade to cable modem... With the amount of time you spend online combined with your age, dial up is going to shorten your life span more than smoking! :)

Just ran a few of the tests on my machine for comparison- getting 5950 average download, 950 average upload.

boxy
10-31-2005, 09:08 AM
Phil, post your numbers......
I'm getting between 9232 and 10231 down, and 3500+ up.

TuxedoPk
10-31-2005, 09:30 AM
Steve-What type of Internet connection are you running?

MOP
10-31-2005, 09:46 AM
Super slow by comparison! 40 in 114 out! Believe me I have thought about cable, but most of what I do is mail, news and the Dnet. Some of what holds me back but I guess should not is my email having to be changed. I been using this thing for business since 1972, I still have clients contacting several years after I have done Biz with them. Just this past summer one such email made me 10k nothing to sneeze at, I worry that is they can't find me easily I will loose them to another broker. I spoke with my provider and they will keep my email AD going for $15 a month, maybe I should bite the bullet and streak into the present:biggrin:

mattyboy
10-31-2005, 09:46 AM
Mop,
is that rotary or touch tone dial up :eek: :p

boxy
10-31-2005, 09:47 AM
The Broker I work for has run fibre optic lines to all of the offices, so currently there are 3 other people online and we are sharing that line.... :D
At home I'm on cable, it's a little quicker here at work.

txtaz
10-31-2005, 10:11 AM
Wow, I'm getting better that T-1 speeds. 1.7 magabits per second on enhanced DSL. I remember paying $1300/mo. for a T-1. Now I pay 24.95 for the ADSL.
Try this
http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/
Matty, I think MOP is using the ol' string and cup method for modem communications. Time to upgrade buddy.
Boxy, It doesn't matter (for speed) if your are on wire or fiber. Fiber is a cleaner signal but more fragile and WAY more expensive to fix.
Da Taz <---Yeah I know the CRC32 algorithm, it's boring
P.S. Type correctly the first time, the board is not taking any edits.

boxy
10-31-2005, 11:07 AM
Boxy, It doesn't matter (for speed) if your are on wire or fiber. Fiber is a cleaner signal but more fragile and WAY more expensive to fix.
Da Taz <---Yeah I know the CRC32 algorithm, it's boring

So where does my speed come from, I don't think I'm on a T-1 pipe, but who knows what the servers are connected to once I get there...
On your test site I'm showing 3.1 mps.

So if I have this right, I'm fibre to our main serversdd, then we are hooked up to the pipe from there.... right ?

Oh and the edit thing is working now....

txtaz
10-31-2005, 11:33 AM
Boxy, You could be on fiber on the server (local) or all the way to the telcom or even better to the inet backbone. Your 3.1mps speed is something else. A T-1 line used to mean a dedicated "pipe" from you to the telco at 1.5mbs and then to a remote location with a dedicated backup. I'm not sure what it means anymore. There are many ways to split bandwidth across several "pipes" and within 1 pipe. But they are playing with gigabit networks. So your inet traffic may be traveling along next to a fax, phone call and everyone elses traffic in one "pipe".
Your speed is determined by a "network clamp". You pay for a cetain amount and they only give you a certain amount.
Lenny, am I close???
Da Taz <---Little rusty and getting old

TuxedoPk
10-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Mop,
is that rotary or touch tone dial up :eek: :p

How can he tell. There are 4 prongs that go into the telephone jack

Kirk
10-31-2005, 06:05 PM
Bandwidth is a cheap commodity these days. My cable company (comcast) provides me download 3Mbps +/- and up 768kbps. They charge me $50.00 per month and the services is much more "stable" than DSL which is dependent on mileage < 15k feet from a "D" Slam. The telcos have to build out DSL services and put "D" Slams into each Central Office. You also have a few flavors of DSL....ADSL, SDSL etc.

Boxy....the fiber that you ride is a ringed services that your landlord or campany provides. Your location is directly homed/connected to a CO. Your internet traffic is handed off by local CO to the closest Internet "NAP" network access/peering point where ever you are up north. Do a trace route and see how many hops you take to reach yahoo. One last thing about your servers. Servers most likely are located onsite or they could be sitting in a Data Center somewhere. One way to find out is to look at your mail settings and see where your exchange servers are located. Look at your incoming and outgoing mail settings. Fiber runs on a sonet or accuring and provides 10 Mbps min. to just below OC3 speeds. You can slice and dice ports for 3Mbps internet and 7Mbps for voice/video conferancing/ frame/PL and so on. The next step would be OC3...thats optical stuff and the sky is the limit from there on.

The service order is as follows:

Dial up....wont go there
DSL 384k to 768k
ADSL 768k
SDSL 768k to 768k
Cable 3Mbps up & 768k down (cable providers services vary)
T1.5 access ABC Company can again slice and dice "T" and you get whatever port/bandwith they chose. All voice and data traffic will ride same T most companies devote more channels to voice than they do data. Voice is very sensitive to latency. You can "bond "T" together and effectivley get 3Mbps out of two t's. You can bond/mux up to four "T" together.

You can also get satilite (sp) internet but it is very subject to rain fade and pixelation of signal.

I could go on ad nausem but I would put you all to sleep and MOP would wait all day to read my post.

Matty you bad & Phil get broadband would ya

My .02 for the day

KJ

mattyboy
11-02-2005, 08:25 AM
just think Phil if you increase your bandwidth you could have like 12,000 posts by now :p :rlol:

seriously Phil look into broad band i wrapped all my services under optimum online
cable tv internet and voice I save on just my phone bill 50 bucks a month and Have not had any outages all for around 100 bucks a month depending on what pkg of cable tv you have

MOP
11-02-2005, 09:12 AM
just think Phil if you increase your bandwidth you could have like 12,000 posts by now :p :rlol:

seriously Phil look into broad band i wrapped all my services under optimum online
cable tv internet and voice I save on just my phone bill 50 bucks a month and Have not had any outages all for around 100 bucks a month depending on what pkg of cable tv you have

Matt I have been looking into the cable bundle, my local rep says he has no idea of where the price will go once the year is up. That kind of bothers me, I wonder if they will they push the price way up. TV cable has tripled in our area over the past few years so I am a bit leary. It really does look like the way to go and super tempting, I have several friends that have switched and love it.

Phil