PDA

View Full Version : "X" dimension on the Blackhawk 22 is...

Lenny
10-29-2005, 12:38 AM
16 1/4" ... for anyone that cares. :D

DonCig
10-29-2005, 05:48 AM
Thank you. Can you give me the measurement as in this picture and let me know what the dimension is on either a stock 22 with a Bravo or a BH on a 22?

I am wanting to know the distance from the bottom of the keel to the centerline of the lower propshaft. As you can see in this photo the distance is around 5" on this boat.

Thanks

Lenny
10-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Don, to the bottom of the "thing" above your tape measure, (the bottom of the actual transom assembly, not that thing) , it is 7 1/4" on the BH 22, exactly.

But do not forget that the BH 22 is missing some "bottom" due to rocker from the stock 22. Certainly, it was not placed "up" three inches as suggested in Merc manuals but located otherwise on the BH boats.

Can someone put a straight edge under their "regular" 22 bottom for us and measure to the bottom of the transom assembly? Not that thing in Don's picture but the actual bottom of the transom assembly. I have the cut-out templates and can add the required difference from the template to get to the crankshaft centerline.

Thanx :D

MOP
10-29-2005, 01:13 PM
To get a more accurate X dimension of an existing install, measure from the drive pivot (center of the trim cap or pivot pin) which is exact center height of the X from the bottom. This can be done with a carpenters square, I just checked my X on the 22 is 16-1/4".

Phil

Lenny
10-29-2005, 03:44 PM
So Phil, why are both boats at 16 1/4" ???

Do I assume that DONZI did nothing with the placement requirements of the BH on the BH boats and just allowed for the rocker to look after things and provide for the bow lift? MOP, what is the height of your transom from keel bottom to under the rubrail?

That is the key here, and why, did they not raise the drive on the transom?
Are the motor mounts in the SAME location on the stringers on a BH boat, and if not, then the drive obviously has the same "X" as the 22 but because of the ROCKER as it minimizes the centerline height at the rear of the transom THAT would answer the exhaust tips under the rubrail question...

hmmmm...winter is here :rolleyes:

MOP
10-29-2005, 04:51 PM
From the bottom of the metal rub rail to the keel measures 34".

Quote: 16 1/4" ... for anyone that cares. as opposed to 14 1/4" on the Bravo boats. So, they went up 2" basically from stock "X" placement on the 22's.

My stock X is 16-1/4" not 14-1/4" where does the 14-1/4" I did not raise mine, were the Alphas mounted higher? My cav plate is above but I do not think any higher then with the Alpha that was on it.

I spent months on the phone, comparing photos etc when researching putting the BH on mine, Donzi bent the boat rather then raise the X. I think a batter way would have been A plates, in speaking with Geo about his setup the plates were able to induce porpoising. If I had the $$ I would have put them on the beast. I feel by bending the boat as Donzi did they made a real handful requiring a lot of seat time. I have driven a fair amount of rocker hulls especially old wood boats basically they handle like crap and can be out right dangerous maybe that is one reason why Donzi dropped the boat. I have spoken to several guys that have mounted the drives on straight hulls, they said either you need to power it way up or got to the A plates that there was no in between. To get my 22 to run with a BH the boat needs way more HP then my mouse motor makes, maybe a set of plates will show up cheap one day and I will drag the BH out again to see if my ponies will push it. The mid range speed between the BH & the Bravo were almost identical, fuel usage was slightly lower with the BH. For just cruising it was great as was the handling which was much better than either the Alpha or the Bravo, the BH corners equal in both direction and has almost -0- prop torque I feel it is very easy on the steering system and gimble assy.

I know more then you asked for!

Phil

Lenny
10-29-2005, 08:02 PM
MOP, I edited it. Forget the 14 1/4" "X" in the equation. That is for an 18, NOT a 22.

But, we ARE onto something. :)

MOP
10-30-2005, 10:46 AM
The X height has more to do with the available engine bay height, on a 22 they can raise the engine without bulging the hatch. If you look a 16-18's the cav plates are below the bottom what a drag! This is especially true with the older Volvos, I wonder if any members have raised the X on an old one. I bet there is a few miles an hour waiting to be had just like raising any other setup.

Phil