PDA

View Full Version : SB Chevy Echaust Manifolds

onesubdrvr
10-26-2005, 10:22 PM
I am currently running a set of cast iron GLM's, with the Mercruiser SS Risers.

My quuestion is

Who makes the best SB Manifolds out there? Are there any header, or performance styles?

Occasional salt water application.

I have looked at GIL's and Stainless Marines thus far - but don't see any real performance notes.

Thanks
Wayne

mrfixxall
10-27-2005, 09:41 AM
check with eddiemarine.com,i use then on my classic and work great thay also have lightening headers let me know im a dealer for them.........

Sam
10-28-2005, 10:06 AM
Stainless Marine get's my vote. I have a set on my 16 and have had no issues with them. They are very easy to get on/off when doing service work.

Sam

gcarter
10-28-2005, 12:46 PM
What Sam said!
If you think decreased weight increases performance then Stainless Marine manifolds are great. And only weigh about eight lb each.

onesubdrvr
10-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Well, thinking about things, I'll probably go with Stainless Marine, but has anybody seen these from Australia?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXHAUST-MANIFOLDS-Mercruiser-Stainless-Steel_W0QQitemZ4584874950QQcategoryZ31285QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anybody used 'em?

Results?

Thanks
Wayne

Cuda
10-30-2005, 08:35 PM
I have EMI aluminum exhaust on the Minx. I know when I got them, I thought there was only one side in the box because they are so light.

onesubdrvr
10-30-2005, 09:47 PM
I have EMI aluminum exhaust on the Minx. I know when I got them, I thought there was only one side in the box because they are so light.
Joe,

I've looked at those, aluminum scares me a little as I run in salty (not the ocean, but the Indian River) sometimes. Although, their Fusion coating could be worth more investigation.

Any input on Aluminum vs SS would be appreciated too.

Wayne

MOP
10-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Moody Blue is running a set, I have read decent reports they basically build an S/S housing over a tube header. What intrigues me is the 5 years warrantee I don't think any of the others offer that. I would drop a note to Moody to see how they are working out.

Phil

Cuda
10-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Wayne, I used to worry about running aluminum in salt too. I used this mechanic when I lived in St Pete that built hipo boats, and he told me he ran a set of aluminum heads for seven years, took them off, and sold them to another guy. He said it's all in how well you flush them. I put closed cooling on my F20 because I had an aluminum intake, but my 302 has aluminum intakes, and no problems yet. I flush hell out of them.

MOP
10-30-2005, 10:04 PM
Wayne my Gils are all aluminum thsy advertize 10-12 years properly flushed, can't beat the weight savings.

Phil

smokediver
10-31-2005, 06:36 AM
Joe,

I've looked at those, aluminum scares me a little as I run in salty (not the ocean, but the Indian River) sometimes. Although, their Fusion coating could be worth more investigation.

Any input on Aluminum vs SS would be appreciated too.

Wayne
the stainless marine manifolds are aluminium like all the others . i am using glm aluminium manifolds with risers . i like them as they have a zinc anode for additional protection ... just remember that merc is now going back a little and recommending a non - anerobic (spelling?) sealant on the riser gasket . they were recommending it , then switched to ne sealant , and are now recommending it again ... who knows ,,,,

Mr X
10-31-2005, 06:45 AM
Stainless Marine also uses a zink anode, BUT if you flush out with fresh water then the Zink actually becomes the cathode and the manifold is the anode.......do not use the zink if you flush out your engine!!!

Brownie from Stainless Marine will back me up on this.

smokediver
10-31-2005, 06:55 AM
Stainless Marine also uses a zink anode, BUT if you flush out with fresh water then the Zink actually becomes the cathode and the manifold is the anode.......do not use the zink if you flush out your engine!!!

thanks for the info Ted , i did not know this !!!!! I wonder if there is an alum. plug to use in lieu of the zinc ????

Mr X
10-31-2005, 07:40 AM
thanks for the info Ted , i did not know this !!!!! I wonder if there is an alum. plug to use in lieu of the zinc ????

John, do not use the aluminum plugs either!!.......they have switched ALL the fittings (plugs and hose fittings) to a special plastic. The Alum. fittings corrode in place.

Call Brownie at S/M he will hook you up

MOP
10-31-2005, 09:19 AM
You need to be careful with the type of sealants used with aluminum, some of you may remember one of my fields in the USAF was fuel repair & maintenance all aluminum. Hands down silicone is the best sealant for aluminum, most all sealants have acid and or metal content which will effect the surface of the material they are applied to. Gaskets must be of the composite type that look like heavy paper/cardboard, the metal type head to manifold gaskets will corrode aluminum over time.

The link below goes into detail or read the excerpt from the site below the link, it relates directly to aluminum.

http://yarchive.net/chem/silicones.html

Since the acetic acid is released during curing, it can attack the
underlying substrate material. This can cause corrosion of certain
metals and prevent the proper adhesion of the silicone. However, on
other materials, the acid can etch the surface slightly and increase the
adhesion. Aluminum is one such material. Copper and zinc, however, are
corroded by the acid. Thus brass and galvanized steel should not be used
with silicones which release acid. Dissimilar metals can form
electrolytic couples and corrode severely underneath a covering of acetic
acid releasing silicone. Silicones do not adhere well to all other
plastics either.

On my Gils I used red Hi Temp with no gasket at the riser joint with excelent results, it allowed me to reduce the torque to 20lbs helping to relieve thread stress in the aluminum.

Phil

smokediver
11-01-2005, 07:00 AM
[QUOTE=Mr X]John, do not use the aluminum plugs either!!.......they have swithced ALL the fittings (plugs and hose fittings) to a special plastic. The Alum. fittings corrode in place.

Call Brownie at S/M he will hook you up[/QUOTE
thanks for the info , Ted .. that is going on the things to do this winter list ... kinda nice only having 2 weeks to get it all done:biggrin:

gcarter
11-01-2005, 01:16 PM

ORRRRRR...,
you can go to a full system closed cooling and not worry about the manifolds as there is no electrolyte in the manifolds.:yes: :moped: