PDA

View Full Version : Gas fill / cap problem

p729lws
10-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Little help here

Below is a photo of the gas fill on my '86 22' classic. I need a key that will fit this cap or would like to replace this cap with the type that has the standard 2-hole configuration for the key. I bought a couple replacement caps at West Marine but both are too small. One was 1-1/2" across the threads and the other was 1-3/4". I think both were manufactured by Perko. The larger one was close but no deal.

Can I buy a new key or a replacement cap somewhere? My other options are to replace the fill assembly or keeping using the big ass screw driver on the existing cap.

If anyone wants the West Marine / Perko 1-1/2" or 1-3/4" caps let me know.
Dan

MOP
10-26-2005, 07:08 PM
I have the same one the key is a real standard item, I will see if I can post a link for you to get one.

Phil

Cuda
10-26-2005, 07:17 PM
I always use a quarter to tighten and loosen. I saw somebody on the net today had gas caps on sale. I'll see if I can find it. The whole assemblies don't really cost that much, and you can get them in the color you want.

MOP
10-26-2005, 07:21 PM
Scroll down this one for a universal deck plate key, this is one type but there is a simple much smaller one usually S/S you can probably ask for one at a marine store will coat about $2

Phil

http://www.reddenmarine.com/site/new-categories.cfm?counter=273&brand=24&action=Brand&letter=&department=0&category=0&subcategory=0&text=0

joseph m. hahnl
10-26-2005, 07:33 PM
Little help here

Below is a photo of the gas fill on my '86 22' classic. I need a key that will fit this cap or would like to replace this cap with the type that has the standard 2-hole configuration for the key. I bought a couple replacement caps at West Marine but both are too small. One was 1-1/2" across the threads and the other was 1-3/4". I think both were manufactured by Perko. The larger one was close but no deal.

Can I buy a new key or a replacement cap somewhere? My other options are to replace the fill assembly or keeping using the big ass screw driver on the existing cap.

If anyone wants the West Marine / Perko 1-1/2" or 1-3/4" caps let me know.
Dan

Wal-Mart has universal "4-way keys"

txtaz
10-26-2005, 07:57 PM
I use the keys on my key chain. Worked for me for over 35 years. Use a key to a friends house first in case you break it. That way you can still get in your house.
Da Taz

gold-n-rod
10-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Ask around at your local marine gas dock. I'll bet they've collected a bunch over time and would be glad to give you one.

Good thing to remember if you ever lose a gas cap for your car/truck. Ask at gas stations, people leave 'em behind all the time.

:wavey:

pmreed
10-26-2005, 09:21 PM
The large blade on my closed Swiss Army knife sticks out enough to be a perfect key. I've got one of those plastic keys in the boat...the one with the flat blade on one side, and the prongs on the other.

Phil

p729lws
10-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the input guys. My West Marine is one of the small ones with a limited inventory so I guess they don't stock the universal keys. I think I'm going to order the Universal Deck Plate Key posted by MOP in the photo below. Any key that doubles as a bottle opener can't be bad. :beer:
Dan