PDA

View Full Version : Power trim fluid

Donzigo
10-26-2005, 07:59 AM
I'm hearing conflicting massages from a few local boating friends. One says to use regular 30 wt oil in the power trim pump, the other says to use Power Steering fluid, even a thrid says Automatic Transmission fluid. Something isn't adding up. What kind of oil should I use in the pump?

Cuda
10-26-2005, 08:02 AM
I use ATF. I've heard most any oil will work, it's just that different oils will work at different rates.

MOP
10-26-2005, 08:09 AM
Richard I also use ATF, have done so for many years. Merc has a new type of fluid not sure of its make up.

Phil

gcarter
10-26-2005, 09:18 AM
The label on my pump says to use 30 wt.

mrfixxall
10-26-2005, 09:47 AM
older r,mr and gen 1 says 30w newer ger 2 says atf......

MOP
10-26-2005, 12:21 PM
I checked the three pumps I have on hand. The only one I am sure of it age is the one in the Beast 1986 marked PS fluid, the other two are newer but how not sure one looks like the pump in the Beast the other is the newer type with the white poly tank both are marked PS. They must have fooled around with different stuff for a few years.

This the new stuff and used in both systems, I doubt if it is as thick as 30wt. 30wt would be real tough on the pump up north, mine sounds slower when it gets cold with PS fluid
http://www.iboats.com/products/7/20106_quicksilver_power_trim_and_steering_fluid.ht ml

Cuda
10-26-2005, 12:55 PM
This the new stuff and used in both systems, I doubt if it is as thick as 30wt. 30wt would be real tough on the pump up north, mine sounds slower when it gets cold with PS fluid
http://www.iboats.com/products/7/20106_quicksilver_power_trim_and_steering_fluid.ht ml
I think thats why they went to ps fluid, it's thinner and will pump faster while still keeping the good lubricating qualities.

CHACHI
10-26-2005, 01:00 PM
The heavier the viscosity of the oil (30wt vs atf), the slower the trim will move, the colder the ambient air temp is. This could put heavier loads on your pump and lines. Run the thinnest fluid you can.....you trim will be more responsive. I imagine a good hydraulic oil with a strong rust & oxidation package would work just fine. Ken

Cuda
10-26-2005, 01:14 PM
I imagine a good hydraulic oil with a strong rust & oxidation package would work just fine. Ken
Sounds like a description of ATF to me. :)

MOP
10-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Don't ask why but I experimented with Ford HD tranny fluid in the 16 in the PS and T&T, it was fine in the T&T but after a short run I opened the hatch to find it had foamed really bad out of the steering pump. So good old red ATF is my oil of choice!

DonziJon
10-26-2005, 02:02 PM
I would VERY concerned about compatiblity of the chosen fluid with the Seals/O-Rings used in the system. Use motor oil where ATF was intended, and you might just Disolve the seals. ie: They just swell up and turn to mush. What a bummer. :bonk: Check with the manufacturer of the pump.. with a model number and serial number.

My early '86 Minx has an "Oildyne/Eaton" pump ("Old Style").. it has a little dipstick/filler port. Clymer says use "Quicksilver Power Trim and Steering Fluid" OR "Dexron II ATF."

Another pump used was an "Oildyn/Singer" which has a translucent plastic resevoir under the pump with a large screw cap. Clymer says that one is supposed to use 10w-30 or 20w-40 motor oil. At this point, I wouldn't bet my system on Clymer being right.

All that being said, I would still Check With The MFG.

See also: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-48889.html

The "Horses Mouth": Parker-Oildyne http://www.parker.com/ead/cm1.asp?cmid=246

Pismo
10-26-2005, 03:34 PM
I put 30wt in mine and it ran slow so i went back to ps fluid and its better.

mrfixxall
10-26-2005, 07:38 PM
Ok Guys Heres What The Merc Book Reads,10w 30 Or 10w 40....

Donzigo
10-26-2005, 08:18 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I think that mine might be Power Steering Fluid, in that the pump is from the 1989 Donzi production run. My trim has been going very slow, and it's low on fluid, so, I'm thinking of draining the remaining oil (I think that's what I put in it last) and go with the Power Steering Fluid.

Next question, how do I drain and otherwise, get the old 30-wt oil out of the lines?

mrfixxall
10-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I think that mine might be Power Steering Fluid, in that the pump is from the 1989 Donzi production run. My trim has been going very slow, and it's low on fluid, so, I'm thinking of draining the remaining oil (I think that's what I put in it last) and go with the Power Steering Fluid.

Next question, how do I drain and otherwise, get the old 30-wt oil out of the lines?

take the lines off the trim cylinders and hold the trim button up and down fill trim pump with wharever oil your going to use and go up and down several times checking the fluid ,,you want to do this several times to flush the old fluid out...

mrfixxall
10-26-2005, 08:36 PM
p.s. merc manual says to take the lines off to bleed,,,,this is a bunch of bs it will bleed on ite own........... p.s.s. when you take the lines off lift the drive by hand and whtch out hte fluid will spray(make sure the drive is all the way down before you take any line off)..........