PDA

View Full Version : It Sold!

dfunde01
10-26-2005, 06:25 AM
The 2005 Classic 16 is off to a new life hanging on the back of its new mother ship.

I have been shopping for the past several months for something, fresh water only, in the 25' to 27' range in a single engine performance boat/cutty. One problem with a low production boat like Donzi is lack of used boats. No luck in finding a 1999 to 2002 22ZX, 26ZX or 28ZX. The leader in my search at this point is a 2000 Baja 272 with a 502 sitting on a custom Myco trailer.

Comments or suggestions are welcome.

Dave

boxy
10-26-2005, 08:55 AM
Dave, I'm not sure what your budget is, but Frank Civitano has a 2004 22zx that he is trying to move, and it is priced very aggresively....

www.typhoonperformancemarine.com

DonziEd
10-26-2005, 09:23 AM
That boat has been for sale for some time now.

mrfixxall
10-26-2005, 09:40 AM
lake cumberland has a 22zx scorpion??? or thy boats.com

olredalert
10-26-2005, 10:14 AM
--------I would say to expand your search a bit. Sunsation comes to mind as a good possiblity. They are well built, almost custom. Of course we see a bunch of them up here as they are built quite close. I like them.
--------Bajas arent bad boats, but they are everywhere. Not quite the same as owning a DONZI. Not saying a Sunsation is the same as owning a DONZI either, nothing is, but they are good, unique boats. I believe they have had boats in your general size needs. Just a thought...........Bill S

turbo2256
10-26-2005, 11:06 AM
I have a 25' 2001 Sunsation Aggressor 130 hrs 7.4 MPI for sale. SAM has seen it just lifted the tarp a bit.

dfunde01
10-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Frank and I exchanged several e-mails regarding his 22ZX. Frank was most gracious in trying to put the deal together and his price was great. The bottom paint was the killer. I don't need it since I am fresh water only and don't leave my boats in the water. After removing it I would still have to deal with the scoring in the gelcoat when it was prepared for the bottom paint.

Dealing with Donzi customer service on what should have been a minor issue turned into a major project over a stuck engine hatch latch. I lost use of the 16 for over 6 weeks while they debated on how best to handle a repair that required less than two hours labor and $50.00 in materials. I would be hesistant to deal with Donzi on a larger more expensive boat given their lack of customer service and support.

While the Baja is not unique, service and parts are readily available in the areas of Georgia, SC, and NC that I boat in and owners that I've talked to have been satisfied with the factory customer service. The 2000 272 Boss that I am looking at offers alot for under $40K. 502 MPI, Myco trailer, Boss package, etc. and is located within a three hour drive of the Atlanta area. It ain't a Donzi, but should do the job of a good family go fast.

Dave

Sam
10-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Very SWEET boat ! I would look good in it :wavey: .

MOP
10-26-2005, 01:02 PM
Qoute! The bottom paint was the killer!!!!!!!!!

Jeff (Zinger) here on the board has a 22ZX fresh power and a BravoX -0- bottom paint! Sweet boat I got a good up close on it a few weeks ago when he and I ran about 25 miles together.

Phil

mphatc
10-26-2005, 05:32 PM
I'd be cautious with the BAJAs . . . though I have no first hand experience with them, from all I have been told is that there are stringer problems with many of the boats. Apparently they rot out prematurely! I've met one owner who had to rebuild his 25 which he bought new after 3 years. Cost him $8500.00 big ones!

Has anyone else heard of this problem?

Mario L.

mrfixxall
10-26-2005, 06:56 PM
I Fixed Three Of Them This Year And 6 Last Year Two190 Footers And Three 226 And 4 240 So I Would Say Its A Ig Problem With Baja.....

dfunde01
10-26-2005, 06:56 PM
I'd be cautious with the BAJAs . . . though I have no first hand experience with them, from all I have been told is that there are stringer problems with many of the boats. Apparently they rot out prematurely! I've met one owner who had to rebuild his 25 which he bought new after 3 years. Cost him $8500.00 big ones!

Has anyone else heard of this problem?

Mario L.

Mario,

That is why you have a boat surveyed before you buy. I have heard the same concerns with some Baja models and I have been told that Donzi had some of the same issues with stringers in the late 80's. SeaRay has had a number of wood issues in recent years. Thanks for the heads up.

Dave

mphatc
10-26-2005, 07:09 PM
I completely understand the reason for a marine survey, my family was in the boat business for 15 years, I've been around boats since I was 5 months old and do restorations as part of my business.

What I should have stated more clearly is that Baja's seem to have a real problem regardless of who owns the boat and how it's cared for.

Who wants a boat that can't get wet???

After reading Mrfixxall's comments, that's enough info for me to simply advise folks to stay away from them.

Mario

mrfixxall
10-26-2005, 07:22 PM
HERES A EXAMPLE THE CUST STARTED TO REPLACE THE FLOOR ON HIS BAJA AND GOT LOST WHEN HE GOT TO THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT,,HE DID IT BACKWARDS AND I HAD TO TEAR IT ALL OUT AND START OVER:banghead:

dfunde01
10-26-2005, 07:47 PM
I Fixed Three Of Them This Year And 6 Last Year Two190 Footers And Three 226 And 4 240 So I Would Say Its A Ig Problem With Baja.....

I have heard of this problem with a number of brands. Do you recall the model years of the boats that had the problems? I thought that in the last 7 or 8 years most builders had addressed the cronic wood problems. I do know that Sea Ray created some real problems several years ago when they changed the grade of plywood they were using. I haven't signed a contract for anything yet and do appreciate the input.

Thanks,

Dave

dfunde01
10-26-2005, 07:57 PM
I guess the real issue is that encapsulated wood will somehow get wet and when it gets wet it will lead to trouble. The real question is does anyone make a rot proof /resistant product using plywood as the core? How long will the stringers and transom last before repair is needed?

MOP posted this on the issue about a year ago. "Not long ago I ran a moisture meter over about 20 boats all near new in our High & Dry, guess what 60% had wet transoms and probably wer stringers." Sounds like an industry problem.

Dave

mrfixxall
10-26-2005, 08:27 PM
all the bajas i worked on were from 1984------ 1992 ... baja uses pine plywood in their hulls which d lamanates nothing will stick to pine or wolminized plywood for a long period of time that i found...pine bleeds sap out of it and treated plywood has a oily finish..when i fix thease boats i use birch plywood which dont bleed and is not treated.......try checking out formula thay make a nice boat dashes are ugly tho but a good solid boat...

dfunde01
10-26-2005, 09:32 PM
all the bajas i worked on were from 1984------ 1992 ... baja uses pine plywood in their hulls which d lamanates nothing will stick to pine or wolminized plywood for a long period of time that i found...pine bleeds sap out of it and treated plywood has a oily finish..when i fix thease boats i use birch plywood which dont bleed and is not treated.......try checking out formula thay make a nice boat dashes are ugly tho but a good solid boat...

Where can I find info on the Donzi 22ZX you mentioned in your earlier post? I'm also curious. If builders don't use marine plywood in boats, where in the hell is it used?

gold-n-rod
10-26-2005, 09:40 PM
Dave: I am glad you sold your 16, but I'm also sorry to see you leave the fold. I know you, like myself, have had a lot of grins with your 16. I also know that both your lake's regular conditions and the hassle with the engine cover latch (and Donzi's response) were very frustrating. Either way, I'm sorry to see you considering Baja's, Sunsation's and others. But, I understand.

Good luck with your next purchase. May it be trouble-free.

PS: Here's a nice Powerquest to consider:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42282

gold-n-rod
10-26-2005, 09:42 PM
I'm also curious. If builders don't use marine plywood in boats, where in the hell is it used?

Mostly in the restoration of older wooden boats, certainly not today's models.

dfunde01
10-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Dave: I am glad you sold your 16, but I'm also sorry to see you leave the fold. I know you, like myself, have had a lot of grins with your 16. I also know that both your lake's regular conditions and the hassle with the engine cover latch (and Donzi's response) were very frustrating. Either way, I'm sorry to see you considering Baja's, Sunsation's and others. But, I understand.

Good luck with your next purchase. May it be trouble-free.

PS: Here's a nice Powerquest to consider:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42282

I've gotten a few leads on a couple of 22ZX's, but most have seen salt water. Donzi's are produced in such low numbers that used 2000, 2001 model 22, 24, or 26ZX's for sale in the SE are scarce. Looking for other brands in that size range is the only real option. If I can find and reproduce a trouble free boat I would make Bill Gates look like a poor man. :>)

It seems that when we go through the vetting process to select a new boat the answer always seems to be "Stay away from boats!" and we never listen.

Dave

mrfixxall
10-27-2005, 09:38 AM
i saw the 22zx scorpion on offshore only.com,it was white with purple graffix..ill check my donzi dealer i know he had a few older but new donzi's that he never pushed and got stuck with..i wanna say their was a 22 se with a 502 and a black hawk dr and a 22zx a 25? and a white 18 classic all new less then 10 hr on all the boats..ill let you know...

mrfixxall
10-27-2005, 10:04 AM
i called the donzi dealer near me and all the classics are sold,,he has a brokered boat its a 2000 26 zx 502 with a bravo 1 it has 42 hr on it ,its been in fresh water only asking 42,500 with a trailer 1-815-344-5223 ask for mark.....

Gary
10-27-2005, 02:30 PM
gold-n-rod,
Thanks for the plug of my boat! :) It really is one of the best deals out there.

gold-n-rod
10-27-2005, 02:41 PM
gold-n-rod,
Thanks for the plug of my boat! :) It really is one of the best deals out there.

Gary, you are welcome. It's refreshing to see an honestly presented boat at an honest price. You've done an excellent job of describing the boat, with both your choice of words and pictures. And as a contributor to the site, you get extra kudos.

I hope you find a buyer soon and I hope that Dave gives your boat serious consideration. I think it would serve him well on Lake Lanier. :wavey:

dfunde01
10-30-2005, 05:38 PM
Took the 2000 Baja 272 for a sea trial on Saturday. Nice solid boat and runs strong with a single 502 MAG. I put down a deposit pending a satisfactory survey by my accredited marine surveyor. I checked all the areas I could get to and couldn't find any hint of a wood problem. Except for a few cosmetic warts that they will take care of the boat was great. I now understand why everyone is so high on Myco trailers. They are something. I will miss the little Donzi 16, but will have a much happier family on the water. Thanks for the help and advice guys. You turned me on to some great deals in the midwest and northeast, but I just couldn't get to them distance wise.

Dave

mrfixxall
10-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Good luck with your new ride dave...

Gary
10-31-2005, 07:58 AM
Good Luck ! :) Must be nice to still be able to boat:)