PDA

View Full Version : Help with winterizing - 4.3

Tim H.
10-24-2005, 03:16 PM
Well I started to winterize the boat over the weekend and ran into a little snag ... I cannot find my Mercruiser manual anywhere.

I treated the fuel and then fogged the engine and that is it so far. I plan on changing oil and gear lube in the spring.

I still need to drain the block and would like some help on what to look for. Are there 4 drains that need to be removed? I can only find the 2 on the manifolds. Also, what hoses should I remove and add anti-freeze to.

Any help would be appreciated.

MOP
10-24-2005, 04:30 PM
Well I started to winterize the boat over the weekend and ran into a little snag ... I cannot find my Mercruiser manual anywhere.

I treated the fuel and then fogged the engine and that is it so far. I plan on changing oil and gear lube in the spring.

I still need to drain the block and would like some help on what to look for. Are there 4 drains that need to be removed? I can only find the 2 on the manifolds. Also, what hoses should I remove and add anti-freeze to.

Any help would be appreciated.

First you really should change your "oils" now to get rid of any moisture and contaminates, so you waste a little fogging oil! The drains you need to find are low on the block, one just ahead of the starter and one about 3 inches forward of that on the other side. They should have petcocks but may just be regular plugs, in any event it is good to take the plugs or petcocks completely out. Many times they won't drain well due to debris that has collected at the bottom of the block.

Phil

Tim H.
10-25-2005, 07:55 AM
Thanks Phil,

I think your right about changing the oil. I have all of the supplies ... I just can't squeeze far enough inside to pull out the oil filter. I'll give it another shot this weekend. I couldn't imagine working on a Classic 16 with a V-8.

Do you know which hoses I should be dumping anti-freeze in?

Regards,

MOP
10-25-2005, 10:19 AM
I have not done the hose pulling thing in a long time, at the yard we use a pump & rabbit ears in a trough full of 50/50 that we pump through as we fog the drained "thermostat less" motor. But to answer your question start with putting fuel stabilizer in the tank let the engine run 4-5 minutes to get it into the fuel system. After you fog it out drain the manifolds and block, pull the thermostat and pour the anti freeze into the opening until full. Take the hoses from the manifolds off at the Tstat housing up end them and use a funnel to pour anti freeze through until it comes out the back. Now follow the water line from the drive to find the power steering cooler that must be drained, if there is no drain plug take one hose off and un-mount it so you can tip it enough to get it dry. When you are all finished pull the coil wire out with the drive in the down position tap the motor over a turn or two to make sure the water has dropped out of the out drives water pump. Grease all the fittings until clean grease comes out, remove the prop clean the splines and re-grease. Spray the whole thing down with WD40/CRC. I take my drive off, if you decide to leave yours on leave it down so no water collects in the housing, it will freeze and crack the housing :incredibl Take the battery out and store it in a warm dry place, cover it up and have a :beer: you earned it!

Phil

PS if I missed something those with younger minds can fill in the gaps!

mrfixxall
10-25-2005, 11:39 AM
ok for you guys that dont have a winterizing pan,,,this is easier then pulling your t-stat housing to put antifreeze in your engine.........go buy a plastic 5 or 6 gallon gas can fill it with straight biodegradable antifreeze i like using sierra,either find a old 3/4 garden hose or go to auto parts store and buy 8' of heater hose go to a hardware store and get a male fitting that is at the end of the hose,,,,or whatever you can make work,,screw the end on your ear muffs install rhe hose over the gas can outlet and set the gas can on the back of the boat in the poaring position shtat boat and open the bleeder in the gas can (with antifreeze in it) and your sea pump will suck the antifreeze into the motor.... prior to all this make sure you drain the water in the block,manifolds and oil cooler or coolers .............

mattyboy
10-25-2005, 12:18 PM
or you could go to West Marine and buy this it comes with antifreeze in it

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&classNum=555&subdeptNum=554&storeNum=4&productId=45454

or better yet get a plastic tub with an electric sump pump with a garden hose adaptor connect to your ear muffs or flush valve dump 3 or so gallons of antifreeze of your choice place tub under exhaust and a bucket under the other exhaust turn on pump run motor till operating temp is reached dumping the bucket into the tub to keep it full ( one member had a kick ass 6 inch pvc pipe setup to catch the exhaust fluid and dump right back into the bucket)
then fog drain and change the warm oil( easier for me has I have to pump out the old oil) put the drive down drain the out drive

mrfixxall
10-25-2005, 01:27 PM
thats great,,i found with west marine system is that its poos quality the hose sucks closed and so does the cheeze plastic tank....gas can $10.00 hose 5.00 fitting 2.00........