PDA

View Full Version : New Crib for the Donzi...!!

DonziDave
10-24-2005, 12:54 PM
My old boathouse was a 30 year old floater with a tin roof and siding. It was really getting in bad shape, esp. with the boat hanging inside. Had to keep adding flotation as it sank lower every year. Just didn't have the bucks to build what I wanted. Last winter the hand of GOD sent a storm that finished it. Armed with a nice fat insurance check, I went to work. The Donzi has a full cover and when lifted to the top, no sun ever touches it. The slip is 10' X 30'.....room for future upgrades...!!!

Photo 1: Under construction. That's the old boathouse on the shore.

Photo 2: Finished

Photo 3: There have been several posts about hanging from the rings. Mine has been hanging like this for 19 years with no problems. BTW...the old boat still looks pretty good for an '86 model. Original gel coat and interior...!!

:yippie:

Barry Phillips
10-24-2005, 03:06 PM
I'm jealous.

Mr X
10-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Damn!! Thats NICE!!!!

ChromeGorilla
10-24-2005, 04:25 PM
Very nice job Dave...looks great!

Pismo
10-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Beauty, what is the boat and what engine? I've learned the eye problems are in the 22s with big blocks.

DonziDave
10-24-2005, 08:47 PM
Beauty, what is the boat and what engine? I've learned the eye problems are in the 22s with big blocks.

Thanks to all for the nice comments. It's a big improvement over trying to maintain an old sinking boathouse...!!!

Pismo - Boat is a 1986 18C with a 350SB

More upgrades to the boathouse this fall. I have a 10'X12' floating dock and ramp that I still have to attach, a retractable awning for the deck, dockbox, lights, bolt down a grill, and speakers. Too many chores - no time...!!!

:smash:

p729lws
10-24-2005, 09:17 PM
The boat house looks great! You must be an architect or something ;) . You did get one of you're engineering buddies to check the loads on your lift, right?

Dan

DonziDave
10-24-2005, 09:44 PM
The boat house looks great! You must be an architect or something ;) . You did get one of you're engineering buddies to check the loads on your lift, right?

Dan

Thanks Dan - Ding ! Ding ! Ding ! A Winner...!!! Yes, I are an arch-e-teck.
With apologies to the Mexican bandito in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre":

"Engineers..? We don't need no stinkin' engineers..!!"

I just use the rule of 4's. I did the load calculations and multiplied by a factor of 4. Hell, I can hang a 30 footer in there....which just happens to be the length of the slip. :biggrin:

gcarter
10-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Thanks Dan - Ding ! Ding ! Ding ! A Winner...!!! Yes, I are an arch-e-teck.
:biggrin:

In the mid '70's I worked in a naval architects office in Houston (Schuller & Allan). We called them "Naval Artichokes". :biggrin: :cool: :yes:

DonCig
10-24-2005, 10:29 PM
Thats it, you are planning on buying a 30 footer with the spare cash left after buying the beautiful new boathouse!

Pismo
10-25-2005, 08:05 AM
There will be no problems with your lifting eye, the problem is Donzi uses the exact same lifting bracket for the 22 big block which is obviously much heavier.