PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Classic White Gel-Cote

gcarter
10-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Some time this winter, I'm going to re-gel my hull bottom.
MiniCraft of Florida https://www.minicraft.com/retail/donzimarine.htm
offers the Classic White gel, standard white Donzi gel from mid '70's to '88.
If you look at their prices, you'll see five gallons is less than two gallons of matched gel. I'm planning on buying it in five one gallon cans.
I don't believe I'll need more than two or three gallons, so I'll have some available to share with you at a really attractive price.
Let me know if your interested.

Chili 18
10-23-2005, 02:15 PM
I used this instead of gelcoat. very strong stuff. So far, so good!

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa//product_guide/antifouling/US_vc_perf_epoxy.asp?ComponentID=9860&SourcePageID=6778#1

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/product;part;14755;process;search;ID;,Paints,Botto m.Paint,Interlux.Bottom.Paint,Racing.Teflon.Bottom .Paint

gcarter
10-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Hmmmmmm....interesting!
How is it to match color?
Did you spray it?

Chili 18
10-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Hi George,

In my case, it was the last step after restoration with awlgrip topsides, new interior, etc. So matching an exsisting color wasnt an issue so much. Not like respraying a white bottom on an all white hull. My topsides are red on the sides, so wasnt concerned with exact match. I believe that matching a gellcoat that has been in the ellements for some time, may add another factor. So, not sure how the interlux would be to match... My bottom had some early osmotic activity, and was just tired. So it needed attention. Thought about gel, but learned about this product. I know others here have used it too and were happy. I did some searches before using it. Used an HVLP spray system. It went on easily and was able to build up a good strong bottom. Just follow the directions... Probably easier than gelcoat. Bout all I know...

Oh, depending on which reducer you use, it can be sprayed or rolled. The spray reducer flashes quicker. The roll one stays fluid longer to smooth out.

gcarter
10-23-2005, 10:17 PM
Well, I have to do some white gel work anyway, so that will probably be the determining factor.
Minicraft does a phenominal job with their color matched gels and pastes.
I did some chip repair with their paste and you just couldn't find it later.

Chili 18
10-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Well, I have to do some white gel work anyway, so that will probably be the determining factor.
Minicraft does a phenominal job with their color matched gels and pastes.
I did some chip repair with their paste and you just couldn't find it later.

I have heard only good about Mincraft!

Donzigo
10-24-2005, 08:27 AM
I've purchased things from Mini-craft a few times. They are great to work with. George, how hard is gel-coat to work with. Won't you have to do some sanding with say 1000 grit, then bring it up to shine by buffing? I have wanted to re-gelcoat the Z-33; but, thought it would be a nightmare of a job. Anybody out there done this before? What's involved?

gcarter
10-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Richard, it's like color sanding a badly oxidized dark stripe.
Yes, it's a lot of work but the bottom is all chewed up and by the time I get it smoothed out, I'll have to gel it.

Lenny
10-24-2005, 12:59 PM
George, three gallons will do a hull and deck of an 18 so 5 gallons for the Minx bottom is farrrr too much. You only want about 28mils wet on application. Five gallons would do about 4 Minx bottoms...

gcarter
10-24-2005, 09:00 PM
I imagine you're right Lenny. But if you look at their web page, five gallons is cheaper than two gallons. That's why I wouold like to sell some.
It is a perfect match.

Chili 18
10-25-2005, 01:20 AM
With the interlux stuff, I used about 1.3 g for about five coats on an 18. this is with HVLP. Nice system. Not much overspray and loss. Not sure how it relates to gel...

gcarter
10-27-2005, 03:22 PM
OK guys... I'm gonna pull the trigger on this soon.
This is a wonderful opportunity to get some of this Donzi color matched gel for $62.15 per gallon plus tax and shipping versus $154.99 per gallon on the one gallon price. You obviously won't find it for any less.
Let me know soon. I will probably have up to three gallons available. :)

mrfixxall
10-27-2005, 03:41 PM
make sure you order some stireen also for thinning and some pva for sealing the serface of the gel after rollong or spraying the gel on....it stays tacky after it dries without pva...thay also make some kind of wax to mix in the gel but i dont think it will work on top coated get.....stireen effects the top coat after a while it dulls back and you will have to polish it again,,theirs also a special thinner besides acitone that works better for application no more then 20% or it will not be as durable as your factory gel....

Ted Guldemond
10-29-2005, 08:58 AM
If your going through all the grief of re-gelling the bottom, why not use a vinylester based gelcote? Its more impervious to osmosis. If the bottom has had any structural repairs in epoxy the vinyl gel will adhere. Polyester gel does not stick that well to cured epoxy. If you use polyester I would avoid thinning with acetone. On a molecular level the crosslinked polymer ends up looking like swiss cheese when the acetone out gases. A major cause of blistering. Styrene in small amounts is better, as it actually crosslinks with the resin. It does tend to make the hardened resin more brittle.

gcarter
10-29-2005, 09:23 AM
Fortunately, it appears the bottom has only been repaired with badly matched polyester resin gel. Most of the damage has not been repaired in any way. It appears the boat was stored on a rack or lift with no carpet.
I remember Lenny posting about styrene and thinning with it.
Lenny may be a liberal, but I do listen to him about fiberglass!!!;) :smile: :yes:

Deppo
11-05-2005, 10:09 PM
George,

Let me know if you still have any of the the gel coat left. I have an 89 Ragazza that needs to have the bottom gel coated, pretty chewed up, some my fault some not. Are you suppose to apply a primer prior to applying the gel coat or is that with bottom paint? The boats in storage until April so I can't use it till then.

Joe Deppong
89 Ragazza 4.3 I/O
:beer:

gcarter
11-06-2005, 05:35 AM
Joe, You're in luck, if you look at http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42428
You'll see that I'm not going to undertake this until January at the earliest. So I'll PM you at that time.