PDA

View Full Version : Cooling a new 502

Barry Eller
10-22-2005, 07:12 AM
I am almost completed the repower of my 1993 22C with a 502 crate motor. I have eliminated the recirulating water pump with a Eddie Marine crossover system. My question is; does the lower unit waterpump in my King Cobra, the big drive with cone clutch, have enough water flow or will I have to install a raw waterpump?

BUIZILLA
10-22-2005, 08:11 AM
and be sure you have the CORRECT water pump in that drive.... I *believe* there are two styles, one okay, and one BIGGER than okay...

JH

Barry Eller
10-22-2005, 09:46 AM
and be sure you have the CORRECT water pump in that drive.... I *believe* there are two styles, one okay, and one BIGGER than okay...

JH

Thanks for the imput Gentlemen. I have the large waterpump in my drive. I run in Pensacola Bay, saltwater, I have been boating all my life here. My father was a automobile mechanic, he replaced waterpump impellers and backing plates in all the boats we had every season. I have followed his example.

Anyone used the new product that attaches to flushing hose and applies a salt eliminator chemical during last 30 sec. of fllushing?

Barry Eller
10-22-2005, 05:22 PM
Forget the saltaway.. Soap does a good job, and is easy to run through the engine. I use the large econo size bottled dish soap from BJ's or wherever.. The last bottle I got was orange scented, makes even the eggbeaters exhaust smell good :D :D :D

Thanks, the soap sounds like a great idea. I'll hit the garden shop at Wal-Mart and get a fertilizer siphon and I may get some Lemon Joy, can't get any thing that smells like Limes or Margaritas. Besides my boat has a lemon colored stripe anyway.

RickR
10-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Keep a close eye on the oil temps. My new 502 required a larger than stock oil cooler.

Barry Eller
10-23-2005, 07:12 PM
Keep a close eye on the oil temps. My new 502 required a larger than stock oil cooler.

Thanks, what temps did it run before and after?

Greg K
10-23-2005, 11:01 PM
The stock OMC oil cooler has been adequate for the 502 I dropped in 2 years ago. Using the pump in the drive only and a crossover, 160 T-stat, water and oil temps have been fine. You'll probably want a 140 for the salt though.
One more question, what type of crate motor did you start with and was it intended for marine use or auto?

Barry Eller
10-24-2005, 06:56 AM
The stock OMC oil cooler has been adequate for the 502 I dropped in 2 years ago. Using the pump in the drive only and a crossover, 160 T-stat, water and oil temps have been fine. You'll probably want a 140 for the salt though.
One more question, what type of crate motor did you start with and was it intended for marine use or auto?

The motor came from Marine Engines, they have a web site,www.1800runsnew.com. They have remanufactured and new GM Base engines. I bought their 502/435 HP. They upgraded the cam for $250 more to 470 HP. These are the same base motors that Mercruser, Volvo, start with.

There wasn't a core charge with them either. Didn't have to ship my old block, and that was a real plus.

RickR
10-24-2005, 08:33 PM
BArry
Stock oil cooler from Merc on my 454 mag was 2x9 on the oil end.
With my new 502 I had quickly rising OIL temps that would not level out below 300 degrees, so I went with a 12x3 oil cooler. I have an issue with the engine running too cool when idling (sp?) but temps are good, at and above crusing speed. :rlol:

Next step is a oil cooler thermostat and larger cooler lines.

BEWARE: plumbing an oversize oil cooler (next to the engine) is very difficult.

p729lws
10-27-2005, 07:48 PM
Barry,
Stopped by Paul's yesterday but he was closed :( Your boat was parked by the fence and it is sweet! Makes me miss my yellow / white 18. I'll trade 22's with you anytime!

Yippy Kai Yay Mthr Fckr,
Dan