PDA

View Full Version : 16 or 18 outboard powered

jimmy's marine service llc
10-21-2005, 09:47 PM
where can i get information on specs-weight ,max hp etc,on either a 16 or an 18 outboard "2+3" ???
doing a restoration for a customer-he brought me the boat and it's "rough"

onesubdrvr
10-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Here is some information here on the board,..... many other people will pipe in with information, but it is my understanding that there are no know 18' Donzi Classic outboards in existence - one rumored from a magazine article in the 70's, but I don't think it was ever proven or found,..... what is the length of the one you were bought to restore?

Welcome to the Registry by the way!!

Wayne

http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell599.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/dlist/skisporter/skisporterindex.htm

olredalert
10-22-2005, 10:15 AM
-------I agree with M.P. This boat is not a DONZI!!! No 16 or 18 I have ever seen has an interior well designed like that..........Bill S

10-22-2005, 05:42 PM
it really is a donzi,here's the hull numbers dnam6003e678 i've never seen a 16 in a 2+3 version.... just need the specs,max hp rating...

10-22-2005, 06:24 PM
transom skin was destroyed-the transom was in need of core replacement...i recored the transom-the "skin" was allready mangeled beyond repair... these numbers came from the registration on the boat...again,i never seen this lay out before...i have not measured the hull length here's another pic of the side-check it out.....

Formula Jr
10-22-2005, 07:04 PM
The gas fill is in the wrong place, and there are no lifting rings.
This looks like some one took a regular I/O 16 and altered the deck and transom and sole to be a 2+3 outboard with a starboard helm. If I'm right, there should be glass repairs in the foredeck and the dash and the gauge holes seen are recuts. So we can't give HP numbers if someone made a home built. We need to see the strakes at the bow and the transom area better and with better light. We need length, beam, deadrise numbers also.

So 1. It appears to be a non factory lid on a factory hull.
and 2. Its anyone's guess what the transom would take.

10-22-2005, 07:28 PM
there's no signs of glass work any where on the hull or deck-it had a bow tank mounted all the way up in the bow-small tank,mabey 10g.the main tank appears to have been replaced.the bilge area under the rear seat is just that bilge-no signs of anything done....the whole thing is wierd ???? it had a 1978 merc 140 engine on it-customer removed the engine and did some "glass repairs" to the hull. what's the length of a 16 and an 18 what's the beam of each ??

i removed the transom core-ply wood cut into strips-this allowed the curve of the transom.i replaced the inner skin of the transom,i replaced the core with coosa,laminated with west system epoxy mixed with 403 adhesive fibers.the outer skin is being laid up with alternating layers of woven and 1.5oz matt.when lay up is finished,the skin will be faired and sprayed with dura tec...
i did another donzi,a 16 outboard,it had the "L" shaped seating,it didn't have lifting eyes and the fule fill was in the same place-stbd side near the helm.

Sweet18
10-22-2005, 07:31 PM
So, this is a 16', right? On a real Donzi of this year, where would the capacity plate be located? Also, the Coast Gaurd required that the hull number be placed in a second location, preferably hidden, for theft purposes, etc...Where is the second hull number on a 16' of this year? :confused: Sweet18

BUIZILLA
10-22-2005, 08:44 PM
That whole motorwell area is wacko, if it's a real 16 OB... where are the boxes on each rear corner??... look at the current pic's of the Staples 16 for correct motorwell/transom config stuff..

It almost looks like someone shortened an 18-IO with a sawzall, but the front floor, cockpit liner and dash is still wacko.......

stickers were cheap back then, to add to fake hulls...

JH

gold-n-rod
10-22-2005, 08:56 PM
Methinks it's some other kind of boat with Donzi stickers. Someone figured out a way to get a Donzi title, prolly from another boat or via a "lost" title process somewhere.

Your customer may be spending good money after bad. You are kinda obligated to tell him, I would think, since you did the search.

10-22-2005, 09:02 PM
ok...so noone else has seen a set up like this either ??? i have the registration for it and it states what it states-1978 donzi length 16 HIN DNAM6003E678....i know i've said this a few times,but i never seen an outboard donzi like this.they normally have a small transom cut out and they have 2 hatches on either side of the transom cut out...everything else is the same...fuel tank installation,wire harness runs,even the aluminum j molding rub rail i removed.deck is laid up the same way-balsa coring even the screws holding the hull to deck joint together.i searched the web and found this site,i work on sport fishing boats mostly and i wasn't sure about this- got some great info from you guys.....

BUIZILLA
10-22-2005, 09:28 PM
E678 if this hull # is correct, I think it should read E878, which is May 1978 build, for the '78 model year run. Who else has a 1978 year hull that can confirm the DNAM prefix??

JH

10-22-2005, 09:59 PM
DNA comes up as donzi marine......one other thing is funny,the deck is finished in non-skid ??? never heard of a "manta"

mattyboy
10-23-2005, 09:03 AM
doesn't look to be enough hook in the hull to me to be a 16
specs ?? when you're off the page you're off the page so why not a new tank up front and an OB bracket a merc 300 efi and some k planes and I think you'd have a kick ass ride