PDA

View Full Version : Baja Outlaw 24 vs. 22 Classic vs...?

M3James
10-20-2005, 09:00 AM
Hello all. I'm a long time sailor and will probably be buying my first power boat sometime soon. I'm hoping to get a good price on something during the off season.

I've narrowed my search down to the 22 Classic and baja Outlaw 24. I love the classic, but the cabin and extra 2 feet of the Outlaw would be nice.

I know a lot of people dislike Baja's. Why? Do they have reliability issues, etc?

Also, can anyone suggest any other boats in that size range that can be purchased used for around (or under, hopefully) $20k?

Mac
10-20-2005, 09:24 AM
A Superboat 24' would be my choice in a boat that size, the Donzi 22 classic in my opinion is a better looking boat, but I require a cabin with facilities so it is not an option. A Bertram 24' is what I have now, I would suggest one of those as well, but they are pretty rare so finding one might not be possible.

Carl C
10-20-2005, 09:36 AM
Baja makes a decent boat but they are mass produced, with the exception of the new ultra-cool (and expensive) carbon fiber poker run boat.

mrfixxall
10-20-2005, 09:42 AM
baja ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha, the hulls are junk....... if you want to buy a boat that is choppered gunned together then buy a baja,,,i fixxed more transoms in baja boats then any other manufacture of boats..nothing is through bolted in the boats which means that you will find screws laying on the floor that rattled out from some ware.....the floors rot because thay use wet pine

plywood ,stringers rot out,,,,their over priced i would rather buy a bayliner...

p.s. you cant go wrong with a donzi...........

M3James
10-20-2005, 11:12 AM
thanks for the feedback...the wood deck on the older Baja's (which are the ones I'd be looking at) are a minus.

I definitely like the looks of the Superboats but they're few and far between.

Anyone know or have an opinion on this Superboat 30? http://powerboatlistings.com/view/2134

joel3078
10-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Also, can anyone suggest any other boats in that size range that can be purchased used for around (or under, hopefully) $20k?

For $15K- $25k or so, take a look at the 21-25' donzi cuddy layouts. Z 21, Z25, or a 24' Black Widow. These were late 80 and early 90's boats. I know the black widow is a OMC era boat. However, I have one and it's been well taken care of. Very nice boat, well built, and nothing wrong with it. The OMC stuff to shy away from were the "family bow rider" stuff and the Cobra outdrive. The real King Cobra outdrive is built like a tank and lasts forever if maintained properly. However, parts are harder to come buy.

Z21
http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell617.jpg

Z25
http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell652.jpg

black widow
http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell531.jpg

and for comparison a Z29
http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell534.jpg

onesubdrvr
10-20-2005, 01:48 PM
........ The OMC stuff to shy away from were the "family bow rider" stuff and the Cobra outdrive. The real King Cobra outdrive is built like a tank and lasts forever if maintained properly. However, parts are harder to come buy.

Huh?? :biggrin: :wink: :outtahere
I don't know about that, ask Cuda!!

Wayne

Cuda
10-20-2005, 01:55 PM
My buddy had a 24 Outlaw. It was a good boat, but an entirely different boat than a Donzi Classic. If you want one with a small cuddy, check out the Donzi 22 Zx, much closer to the same boat as a 24 Outlaw, and can be had in your price range.

Cuda
10-20-2005, 01:57 PM
I also like the Black Widows. I think they are a unique looking boat, but they are older, and more suspect for transom or stringer rot.

M3James
10-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Yeah I definitely like the 22ZX...but haven't really seen them in my price range ($25k MAX)...do they come that cheap?

joel3078
10-20-2005, 02:18 PM
I also like the Black Widows. I think they are a unique looking boat, but they are older, and more suspect for transom or stringer rot.

I got lucky, bought a 1990 widow this year from the original owner. He got it in 1993 as a new boat. Spent the 1st two years of it's life in advertisements and at the dealership for promos/demos. I have all the paperwork on this. Couldn't sell it as the market was tough like it is now and they had to pay luxery taxes back then. Also the 1990 version of the electronic distributerless ignition did not work well. Donzi ponied up for a 1993 chev 454 engine and King Cobra outdrive swap when the boat was purchased new in 1993 to make the original buyer happy. This Widow has spent it's whole life as a trailer boat and was on Lake Erie in Ohio on occasional weekends. Typically tied up in front of the rock and roll hall of fame as a party barge. Poor guys wife was scared of the boat so it did not get run very much. The original owner and his wife are getting close to 60 years old. They sold it and their house, to move south to get away from winters. Guys wife wants a Donzi LCX or some other type of cruiser. Today the widow is in very good condition, low hours, no rot, clean surveyors paperwork, and runs like a champ. I'll be posting a link to a video of this boat in action soon!

joel3078
10-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Huh?? :biggrin: :wink: :outtahere
I don't know about that, ask Cuda!!
Wayne

Sorry Wayne, ya lost me on that one. Whadda ya and Cuda mean?

Cuda
10-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Yeah I definitely like the 22ZX...but haven't really seen them in my price range ($25k MAX)...do they come that cheap?
I looked at one in Orlando a couple weeks ago that was right around 20k.

Cuda
10-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Here's one in your price range, Big Block too! :)

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-7098.html

gold-n-rod
10-20-2005, 07:40 PM
How about this one..... from this list:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?p=346863#post346863

MOP
10-20-2005, 07:42 PM
I hope Zinger (Jeff) picks up on this post, he is selling an 04 22ZX with 50hrs. on a brandy new HO package with the Bravo X drive that might just make your budget. Boat runs real sweet spent a day cruising the Sound with him.

Phil

M3James
10-20-2005, 08:16 PM
Thank you guys for the links and the advice...this is a great web site. MOP, I just got in contact with Zinger - thanks for the heads up. Hopefully I will be a Donzi owner soon.

onesubdrvr
10-20-2005, 09:08 PM
Sorry Wayne, ya lost me on that one. Whadda ya and Cuda mean?
Sorry, let me clarify,....

as to
"The OMC stuff to shy away from were the "family bow rider" stuff and the Cobra outdrive."

Oh I don't know, I own one of those "family bow riders", does a tick over 60 full fuel, 4 passengers!! :biggrin.:

Just using Cuda as a reference, as he's seen it, and seems to think it runs pretty good :biggrin.:

Wayne :biggrin.:

Cuda
10-20-2005, 09:21 PM
Just using Cuda as a reference, as he's seen it, and seems to think it runs pretty good :biggrin.:

Wayne :biggrin.:
World's fastest Rag! :biggrin.:

TuxedoPk
10-20-2005, 09:52 PM
if you want to buy a boat that is choppered gunned together then buy a baja

What do you mean by this? :rolleyes:

MOP
10-20-2005, 10:52 PM
What do you mean by this? :rolleyes:

Oh! Oh! :garfield: thought that is what made them :superman: being " :uzi: from GUNS" :D

MOP

Dave911
10-21-2005, 12:47 AM
Newer Bajas are hardly laughed at! Baja's Outlaw series offers bang for the buck, seaworthiness and freeboard/comfort in spades. Not to mention good looks. The Outlaw 24/25 continues to be the choice for many first time offshore boaters. Yeah there are a lot out there, but the prices hold themselves up pretty well, and apparently they move pretty quickly.
Are they as cool as a Donzi? Nah, but a comparable used ZX26 (not the ZX22) will run you an extra $15 to $20K. BTW - In '98 the cabin entryway grew significantly on the Baja OL 24, but these hardly ever dip below $30K.
However, if you are in relatively protected waters and will only be dayboating, you'd be hard-pressed to beat an older Donzi 22. Very reasonably priced and classy hot-rod!
Lot's of good Donzi info hear, but you might try offshoreonly for baja info.
Good luck!

M3James
11-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks MOP and Jeff (Zinger) and the rest of you...I ended up buying Jeff's '00 22ZX w/ 496 and Bravo 1. It's going to be a long winter...

MOP
11-09-2005, 10:27 PM
Now we will have to put up with Jeff hunting a 22 Classic!!! I guess the darn ZX had just to much storage space to suit him LOL

Phil

MOP
11-09-2005, 10:29 PM
M3 where are you on LI??? I am out east by Riverhead we should look each other up!

Phil

Andy McCarty
11-10-2005, 09:46 AM
I have a very nice Z-25 that would fit right in you price range. I am located in Lexington KY. You can see pictures of it in the Donzi's for sale section. If you would like email me and i can shoot you more picture. The boat is in excellent shape and is sitting on a brand new trailer. You can even call if you would like 859-983-9618..

Take a look, you wont be disappointed...

M3James
11-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Andy, thanks for the offer but I've just reached a deal on another boat.

MOP, I'm in Cold Spring Harbor, and will probably be keeping the 22ZX in Huntington Harbor. Do you ever make it out here? I will probably be all over the north shore when I splash the Donzi...man I can't wait to get out on that boat. I'm going to be salivating over it all winter.

MOP
11-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Andy, thanks for the offer but I've just reached a deal on another boat.

MOP, I'm in Cold Spring Harbor, and will probably be keeping the 22ZX in Huntington Harbor. Do you ever make it out here? I will probably be all over the north shore when I splash the Donzi...man I can't wait to get out on that boat. I'm going to be salivating over it all winter.

Hi I boat in the Peconic Bay area and very rarely go into the Sound, if it kicks up the Sound is no place for a 22C. The ZX does a better job in the rougher water being a bit heavier, if you decide to exlpore the Peconics let me know. Best of luck with the boat I am sure you will have a ton of good times with it.

Phil