PDA

View Full Version : Methanol/water injection

gacameron
10-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Hi anyone played with a Methanol/water injection such as snow performance ?? I have and old classic 18 2&3 I'd like to get another 5miles an hours out of it ,Ha s a 350/260 which gives me about 55 ? Thanks G

MOP
10-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Don't know much about the systems, years back my cousin ran it on a blown Ford flat head. It gave an impressive shot of acceleration, but gave him more main bearing grief. With just the blower and only 3 mains he had to do them about every 2 months, with the injection two week ends at the drags and his oil pressure would get real low.

Phil

mrfixxall
10-19-2005, 10:49 PM
its a waste of time unless you have fuel injection. the water and alchol injection wont let the engine ping their for the knock sensor wont feel the ping and the pcm wont retard the timing...if you bump the to 36 or 38 degrees on a carbed engine it will help you their.. butt their again too much advanced timing could hurt your main bearings.....good luck,,,,try nos i did ,,my boat was a riot....

Rodger
10-20-2005, 09:07 AM
I run water/alcohol injection in my boat. I'm turbocharged at about 10-11 lbs. boost. I have a pressure switch that brings in the injection at 7 psi. Last few years I haven't bothered with the alcohol; just water for a safety against detonation.

GEOO
10-20-2005, 02:40 PM
I tried a system on my supercharged engine. It just allows you to run more compresion, boost or timing. It won't give you more power unless you tune for it. Then if you run out of water you damage your engine. It's not worth it unless your running Boost and are on the edge of detonation. Most systems are made for cars, which only run WOT for 10-20 second at a time, not for a boat which run's under load or WOT for longer times, the water pumps and aqumulator tanks won't keep up. I designed my own system using parts from different off the shelf kits, high volume marine high pressure water pump, which was connected to an injector, controled by my ECU, triggered by boost lbs, rpm, and pulse width of my fuel injection system. It was a variable system, the larger the pulse width of the fuel injector the larger the pulse to the water injection. :boggled:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2355

gcarter
10-20-2005, 08:15 PM
I agree with GEOO.
It was first used on highly boosted WW II aircraft engines. The problem is always to get the proper amount at the proper time.
On those above mentioned aircraft engines, there were very elaborate boost controls to ensure its use to be benificial.
I believe it would be difficult to utilize w/o extensive dyno work.

gacameron
10-21-2005, 07:24 AM
I must say I'm impressed with that engine BUT didn't want to go quite that route $$$ Thanks you for the input I guess I'll have to go with cam, Vheads, intake and headers and 650 carb for @ 4k I didn't want to spend that $ just to pass my son's boat BUT , as my boy says " stop being such a cheap bastard and buy what you want , Believe if you leave something behind I'll spend it !! " Thanks Geo.

ALLAN BROWN
10-21-2005, 07:30 AM
P51 Mustang had a small braided brass wire keeping the throttle out of the water/methanol range. If you needed it and broke the wire, the plane wasn't allowed in the air again until engine service.