PDA

View Full Version : When?????

DonziJon
10-19-2005, 06:31 PM
When is a Donzi NO LONGER a Donzi?? How many, and what kind of major modifications ("Upgrades") are required to Dis-Qualify the use of the DONZI Logo on a boat that was Once a Donzi?

1. Eliminate the racing stripe?
2. Change out the engine to something the factory Did Not offer originally?
3. Make "Significant" and obvious changes to the dash panel?
4. Add, Delete, or Change the windshield to something not originally offered?
5. Change out the interior to somethig obviously not originally offered?
6. Modify the bottom to accommodate a Non Stock drive for that model?
7. Add a Bimini?
8. Take along "Babes" with ONE Piece bathing suits?

There May be No Correct answers to the above. :smile:

Cuda
10-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Once a Donzi, always a Donzi. Donzi isn't a piece of fiberglass, it a lifestyle, the freinds, and the soul of Donzi that lives in them.

Schnook
10-19-2005, 09:06 PM
I could put oars and a Texas A&M flag on my boat. As long as I'm writing that check every month, it's a Donzi.

p.s. my wife is making me get a bimini

mattyboy
10-19-2005, 09:10 PM
man the winter posts are starting early :p

Formula Jr
10-19-2005, 10:04 PM
#8. ;)

joseph m. hahnl
10-20-2005, 03:14 PM
When is a Donzi NO LONGER a Donzi?? How many, and what kind of major modifications ("Upgrades") are required to Dis-Qualify the use of the DONZI Logo on a boat that was Once a Donzi?

:smile:

It is no longer A DONZI when you crash into a rock and splinter it in a million pieces. Then and only then, it becomes SCRAP:yes:

joe

roadtrip se
10-20-2005, 05:15 PM
2. Change out the engine to something the factory Did Not offer originally?

500 EFI N/A without significant Sport Edition upcharge...

3. Make "Significant" and obvious changes to the dash panel?

Yep. Got the bruised knuckles to prove it.

4. Add, Delete, or Change the windshield to something not originally offered?

Does gray lexan count over the black acrylic?

6. Modify the bottom to accommodate a Non Stock drive for that model?

No modifications on the bottom that I'm talking about, but the IMCO drive and Latham steering aren't stock.

7. Add a Bimini?

Somebody would have to shoot me for that to happen.

8. Take along "Babes" with ONE Piece bathing suits?

You'll have to take this one up with Jill, but remember that she spent 16 years in Texas, so be careful with who or what you mess with!

There May be No Correct answers to the above. :smile:

The custom cleats, steering wheel, exhaust, props, and God knows whatever else I'm forgetting about take this thing totally out of ever being a Donzi again, but I'll suffer through it....

joseph m. hahnl
10-20-2005, 05:57 PM
The custom cleats, steering wheel, exhaust, props, and God knows whatever else I'm forgetting about take this thing totally out of ever being a Donzi again, but I'll suffer through it....

DID YOU EVER WATCH BABY HUEY THE CARTOON ?????

Duh,duh,duh,duh Your not a pirate your the fox.:biggrin:

If I put craigers,headers,super charger,ladder bars and pump up the motor in a camaro. is it still a chevy? dirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.:stan:

Case in point a A West Coast Chopper is still considered a Harley.:smash:

joe

DonziJon
10-20-2005, 06:08 PM

Biminis are TOTALLY COOL. I've been "Thinking" about it (9 years) since the first time I "Baked My Brains". BUT: I'm afraid of the Flak I would get from other Donzi owners, and maybe even a Bayliner owner, who might suggest I was breaking from the DONZI "Image". http://www.donzi.net/ubb/cool.gif

joseph m. hahnl
10-20-2005, 06:16 PM
Biminis are TOTALLY COOL. I've been "Thinking" about it (9 years) since the first time I "Baked My Brains". BUT: I'm afraid of the Flak I would get from other Donzi owners, and maybe even a Bayliner owner, who might suggest I was breaking from the DONZI "Image". http://www.donzi.net/ubb/cool.gif

I was thinking more along the lines of a convertible top for bad weather.
Or even a hard top.

joe

gcarter
10-20-2005, 07:47 PM
RT, I'm with you.
Make 'em better and make 'em faster!!! :uzi:

I'll get a bimini just as soon as I can find someone to make one for a decent price. :smash:

I don't care what Cuda says!! :)

roadtrip se
10-20-2005, 08:11 PM
From Merriam-Webster's Online...

Main Entry: iro·ny
Pronunciation: 'I-r&-nE also 'I(-&)r-nE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -nies
Etymology: Latin ironia, from Greek eirOnia, from eirOn dissembler
1 : a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning -- called also Socratic irony
2 a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or utterance
3 a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity b : incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play -- called also dramatic irony, tragic irony
synonym see WIT

I'll go with curtain number 2 Monte. Those who know me understand that the only "suffering" I do on the lake is picking the bugs out of my teeth after another 80 mile per hour blast down the main channel.

Back away from the irony, it just isn't for amateurs...

Dir back at ya!

Barry Phillips
10-20-2005, 10:17 PM
Must be a slow post night, I assume you are referring to Classic Donzis. The reality is there have been constant changes and variants to the basic Classic theme since 1963, some changes you may or may not like. In my case, I’m not a big fan of the frameless windshield used since ’03, yet I love the one used on the Minx, which has in my humble opinion has a hellava a lot more style with its curved clean lines, hidden hardware and up-turned wind split at the leading edge. The Minx is a great looking ride. The fact is that early 22s had frameless windshields also.

How about the X18, one of the coolest 18s ever, or the traditional V-bottomed barrel back 18s, the Spitfire, GT 21, the Corsican, Criterion and the Hornet? The list goes on and on. If you think that the loss of the boot stripe on the Aronow Edition is something new, all you need to do is look at the Testarosa, one of the most elegant “red heads” ever. Notice that the seats in the AE are very similar to the X18. Although I can think of changes I would like to see in the new GT 22 -- like tuck & roll interior and barrel bucket seats -- the GT 40’s racing stripe, the chrome/carbon fiber Monsters, and the twin sticks are killer. Just make it in red and drop in a 525, wow! Also don’t forget the HP 500 powered SE and the 30th and 40th Anniversary addition boats, tradition flies out the window.

I am glad to see Donzi taking the Classics seriously again. My only bitch is they need to bring back the stainless steel windshields. How many classic speedboats do you see with SS framed windshields? These boats are truly special and command respect wherever they go. They are a mix of style and speed, like a Ferrari Daytona or a ’67 Corvette -- some of the most elegant rides ever produced. If Donzi ever steps the hull, then I will really be pissed.

BP
As for biminis wear a hat or 30 sunblock.

knots2u
10-21-2005, 12:58 AM
The "new" interiors in the GT22 are still Aronow inspired, the same design was used in some early Cigarette's.

DonziJon
10-21-2005, 12:42 PM
My initial post WAS refering to the Classics as opposed to All the other models of Donzi built over the years. I'm happy to see that Donzi has continued to produce the Classics pretty much unchanged. I think the Classics will remain "Classic" if their current custodians make a point of keeping them as original as possable.

What would you have if you took a Ferrari Daytona Spyder and ripped out that tired old V-12 and dropped in a 502 with a blower sticking out of the hood? With all that new power, we need to put a new rear end in it with some big tires. Oh wait, they don't fit. No problem, open up the wheel wells. The point is, the further you go, the less Ferrari you have. Which one would you rather have in your garrage, the "Original", or the Hot Rod?

Interestingly, back when these cars were produced, (1968-1973) owners were buying coupes and having the tops chopped off after a year or two to make them convertables. Not a minor "upgrade", but still a Ferrari.

Ah Ohhh: I think I just defeated my own argument. :bonk:Well, hopefully I made a point though. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/graemlins/cool.gif

Barry Phillips
10-21-2005, 02:22 PM
DonziJon, Your point is well taken, a hood scoop on a Daytona GT, God forbid. I'm not real crazy about the scoop on the GT 22. If I really needed to raise the deck height on a Classic with a scoop, it would be functional and as low profile as possible. People like to personal like their rides and fun to see how they do it. Bob Haver redid his dash panel on his 96 22 "Yellow Fever", changing out the tired old VDO’s and the plastic dash panel with Larvosi Red Lines mounted in trick yellow angled bezels mounted in factory style dash panel and it looks great. I agree the line can be crossed, I guess it’s a matter of taste and common sense. I once saw a vintage Porsche 911 with 6 cheesy driving screwed to the hood, OUCH.
BP

mattyboy
10-21-2005, 03:19 PM
well we all know how much of a classic snob elitist I am :p
things disgust ( punn intended) here all make my skin crawl
talk of weenie bars windshields, non factory colors
lack of stripes, candy cane exhaust pipes, pink flamingoes
pimp fur,re powered modified modernized classics
what is this the coca cola company
new coke old coke classic coke vanilla coke diet cherry coke???

why must people mess and fool with perfection

sorry I digress

a donzi is not a donzi just cause it says so on the side but a donzi is a donzi cause the owner loves it and cares for it and the general public thinks it is one of those fine "I"talian boats :p ;) and DONZI is only really known by the people who own them

is Geoos mighty mouse any less classic than Richard Weaver's Blue Bird
to each his own and by any other name would not a donzi look as sweet??

sorry gotta go Friday happy hour at the nudie bar!!!
2 for one specials if ya know what I mean :smileybo:

joseph m. hahnl
10-21-2005, 04:03 PM
From Merriam-Webster's Online...

Main Entry: iro·ny
Pronunciation: 'I-r&-nE also 'I(-&)r-nE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -nies
Etymology: Latin ironia, from Greek eirOnia, from eirOn dissembler
1 : a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning -- called also Socratic irony
2 a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or utterance
3 a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity b : incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play -- called also dramatic irony, tragic irony
synonym see WIT

I'll go with curtain number 2 Monte. Those who know me understand that the only "suffering" I do on the lake is picking the bugs out of my teeth after another 80 mile per hour blast down the main channel.

Back away from the irony, it just isn't for amateurs...

Dir back at ya!

AMATEUR: Ouch that hurt. I was only kidding.You were serious:frown:

Any way : In manufacturing there is a thing called commercial item's. These are items that the manufacture does not produce.They are availible in the secondary market and are usually considerd standard items. Like bearings bushings etc. Most all of the hardware on a Donzi is commercial.
. It is the the hull that makes it a Donzi nothing else. Remember that Formula JR with the jet drive with all the Donzi stuff on it."IT WILL NEVER BE A DONZI"

I think the Manufacture "Donzi" is just as pationate as we are about the classics. That is why it is such a quality product.

joe

DonziJon
10-21-2005, 07:12 PM
well we all know how much of a classic snob elitist I am http://www.donzi.net/ubb/tongue.gif
things disgust ( punn intended) here all make my skin crawl
talk of weenie bars windshields, non factory colors
lack of stripes, candy cane exhaust pipes, pink flamingoes
pimp fur,re powered modified modernized classics
what is this the coca cola company
new coke old coke classic coke vanilla coke diet cherry coke???

why must people mess and fool with perfection

sorry I digress

a donzi is not a donzi just cause it says so on the side but a donzi is a donzi cause the owner loves it and cares for it and the general public thinks it is one of those fine "I"talian boats http://www.donzi.net/ubb/tongue.gif http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif and DONZI is only really known by the people who own them

is Geoos mighty mouse any less classic than Richard Weaver's Blue Bird
to each his own and by any other name would not a donzi look as sweet??

sorry gotta go Friday happy hour at the nudie bar!!!
2 for one specials if ya know what I mean http://www.donzi.net/ubb/graemlins/smileybreasts.gif

Mattyboy: I Can't agree with you that only Donzi owners know what a Donzi is. I live in Rhode Island..NOT Donzi Country. I take a little "putt" around Newport Harbor a couple of times a season. (@ 5 knots). Mega Yachts all over the place from all over the world. I NEVER fail to get Thumbs Up from Boats, Yachts, and People you would never figure would have a clue what my "Little" Minx was. They Know what a Donzi is!! Not a flaming Cigarette with Graphics from one end to the other. It's a DONZI! DJ :wink:

joseph m. hahnl
10-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Mattyboy: I Can't agree with you that only Donzi owners know what a Donzi is. I live in Rhode Island..NOT Donzi Country. I take a little "putt" around Newport Harbor a couple of times a season. (@ 5 knots). Mega Yachts all over the place from all over the world. I NEVER fail to get Thumbs Up from Boats, Yachts, and People you would never figure would have a clue what my "Little" Minx was. They Know what a Donzi is!! Not a flaming Cigarette with Graphics from one end to the other. It's a DONZI! DJ :wink:

last week there was a crowd of people wating for me to fire up the minx.
prior to that their was a family of young brothers who were in awh saying "It's a Donzi" the youngest saying "what's a Donzi"
I have people stop in there boats just to ask what year my boat is and to tell me how mint it is.

the majority of people don't know what a Donzi is. But the ones that do.
They know what it means.

joe

gcarter
10-22-2005, 07:50 PM
I guess I wouldn't pass muster in some Donzi owners circles.........
I have probably commited the unpardonable.......
Not only did I exchange the cheesy black plastic cup holders for red Livorsi powdercoated ones,
But I added a FOURTH one!!!!!! :jestera: :) :redface:

Cuda
10-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Not only did I exchange the cheesy black plastic cup holders for red Livorsy powdercoated ones,
But I added a FOURTH one!!!!!! :jestera: :) :redface:
I plan on adding some of the same cheese.

DonziJon
10-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Not only did I exchange the cheesy black plastic cup holders for red Livorsi powdercoated ones,
But I added a FOURTH one!!!!!! :jestera: http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif :redface:

George: You Really stepped over the line when you added Grab Handles for the rear seat victims. How are they supposed to get the "Total" experience?? http://www.donzi.net/ubb/cool.gif

PS: My drink holders are refrigerated.

gcarter
10-23-2005, 01:48 PM
PS: My drink holders are refrigerated.
Refrigerated is cool (pun intended)..... :)
But do you have FOUR of them? :smash: :yippie:

Carl C
10-25-2005, 01:35 PM
My only bitch is they need to bring back the stainless steel windshields. How many classic speedboats do you see with SS framed windshields?

I like the AE (X-22) fairing. Donzi will install it on any new 22C.