PDA

View Full Version : X-18 Fender Cleat Locations

Kirbyvv
10-19-2005, 02:25 PM
I've got some nice pop up fender cleats for the X-18. (got them through rustnrot on the registry) Any recommendations on locating them. I'm concerned about locating a fender over the Donzi decal near the stern. Will fenders damage the decal or should I install forward of the decal? How far from the bow? Was thinking of locating where the deck slopes up in front of the cockpit.

Speed-Racer
10-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Hmm the fender location is all up to you...but I wanted to say good looking x18!

Kirbyvv
10-19-2005, 08:56 PM
Hmm the fender location is all up to you...but I wanted to say good looking x18!

Thanks Speed-Racer. Just bought her in August from down your way, Bradenton, FL. It was in pretty good shape to begin with, but have about 8 hrs into compounding and more to go.

Mr X
10-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Thanks Speed-Racer. Just bought her in August from down your way, Bradenton, FL. It was in pretty good shape to begin with, but have about 8 hrs into compounding and more to go.

Too funny!! You both bought your X-18's from the same guy!!!!!

Speed-Racer
10-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Small world.... your gel is in great shape,original?? Mine will look like new when finished.... :wrench:

Kirbyvv
10-20-2005, 07:56 AM
Small world. Yes Gel is original, as is the upolstery. I've probably got about 8 hours into compounding, polishing and waxing and still need to do the transom, but she goes into winter storage tomorrow. So speed racer, yours is the blue one that sold a couple years ago?

markdonzi
10-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Kirby,
Nice to see a picture of your boat. Now I will know who is in that x18 as i blow by you next year at the spring dust off. Just kidding.
markdonzi 87 Minx
Diamond Point Lake George

Lenny
10-20-2005, 10:59 AM
The beam width is greater forward of the decal anyway, so it is more usefull to be ahead of that area. I am doing the same thing and am goind to locate the forward ones at maximum beam (which is across from the beginning of the raised area of the deck) and the rear ones across from the bump on the top of the rear seat upholstery. These two areas WILL keep it away from the dock and not mar your decal. (Dekil here, DEE-CAL there) :D

Kirbyvv
10-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Thanks Lenny, those are the locations I was thinking, but just wanted to confirm someone else.

GEOO
10-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Great, nice boat. You do know the "X"s are faster, more aerodynamic then other Donzi's ,....Right.. :moped:
BTW, I tie my fenders to the dash grabrail or the steering wheel post and the rear seat grab rail under the seat. Seams to work fine and no holes in deck. :)

Barry Phillips
10-20-2005, 02:02 PM
I installed Accon Slim lines on my 22, 6" in the stern and a 4" just behind the windshield A pillar forward. On the X18 this would flank the steering wheel. Both locations work pretty well. Since the stern cleat was a retrofit, the stock location was my only option and looks good. Forward, I followed Donzi's lead, locating 4" cleats in the same location as the 4”pop-ups installed on the SE. Any more forward, the taper of the gunnels makes fenders pretty useless. Also, weather your using Slim-Lines, which are post mounted or Pop-Ups, which are mount screw mounted, they both need to be back plated, so rear access is a must. I am thinking of installing a pin style fender hanger mid-ships, wear the windshield glass ends to ad a 3rd fender. I can access this area through the speaker opening. On the ZX and the ZRs this style fender hanger is normally installed in the side of the hull, which is not possible with the low freeboard Classics.

Blewbyu
10-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Pop-ups may need periodic maintenance.My X-18 has them installed at both ends of the cockpit for easier handling from the drivers seat. Had it been my choice, I would have located them a little further fore and aft to clear the inside of the cockpit tub wall. Mine are real stinky to reach unless you have ape arms. Turned out to be useless to try anyway- previous owner had them sealed with Marine 5200. I can however, lift the boat clear of the water using the cleats :splat: (providing the deck doesn't seperate from the hull).
Best Regards-Jeff

Speed-Racer
10-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Yea, blue w/ blue hull....and that 70's candy stripe interior :banghead: ...but it will all be changed