PDA

View Full Version : fogging oil contamination

joel3078
10-19-2005, 12:46 PM
Another oil question for you engine experts..... Does fogging oil sprayed down the carb during winterizing, contaminate the engine oil?

Supposed to change the engine oil during the winterizing process. After new oil and filter are installed, I run the engine for a couple minutes to check for leaks and let engine get coated with the new oil to minimize acids, moisture, etc. corroding bearings and other surfaces. After this, one would then fog the engine and hence the question about contaminating the new engine oil.

mrfixxall
10-19-2005, 01:15 PM
fogging oil shouldn't effect your engines oil unless you fog whyle the engine is running,, if you fog with the ignition off (+pos wire disconnected at coil) this could effect the oil..... i usually for with the engine running in my antifreeze tank.. about changing your oil,i do mine and all my cust. im the spring and chnge the spark plugs,,,you only have to woori about the fuel seperator for freezing....

CHACHI
10-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Another oil question for you engine experts..... Does fogging oil sprayed down the carb during winterizing, contaminate the engine oil?

Supposed to change the engine oil during the winterizing process. After new oil and filter are installed, I run the engine for a couple minutes to check for leaks and let engine get coated with the new oil to minimize acids, moisture, etc. corroding bearings and other surfaces. After this, one would then fog the engine and hence the question about contaminating the new engine oil.Fogging oil sprayed down the carb when running will not contaminate the new engine oil. Fogging oil is blended with 100N base oil (5w), and a slightly heavier base stock, perhaps a 20w, solvent, and a anti-rust additive package. The solvent is in there for two reasons, 1) to help thin out the heavier base stock and 2) to dilute the total formula to spray out of the can and down the spray tube. The majority of the solvent flashes off in the manifold, leaving the oil and anti-rust behind to do it's job. If any weeps past the rings, it will just mix with the oil in the crankcase upon start up in the spring. Ken

joel3078
10-19-2005, 02:21 PM
I've heard it both way that it can contaminate and the other way that it does not contaminate. I remember minxguy in a previous posting said he had many years in the oil industry so the detail of what is in fogging oil was much appreciated.

Never thought about the fuel separator (mine looks like another oil filter) could freeze and pop during winter. It could have lots of water in it possibly. I'll change this out also.

Guess I'm paranoid about contamination due to the fun we are having with crappy gasoline and it's ability to breakdown in 30 days or so and mucking up carbs. Seems like oil getting screwed up wouldn't take much. At least oil is still about the same price by the quart and has not gone up in price like gasoline. Changing the oil is cheap insurance/maintenance.

Again - thanks for info guys.

MOP
10-19-2005, 02:34 PM
It is far better to run the engine to fog it out, no amount of pouring through will coat everything properly. You should run it a minute or two with the new oil shut down turn off or disconnect the fuel supply then restart it and fog the heck out of it. Qjet's it will die fairly quick so pour immediately, Holleys run about a minute I fast count to 30 then start fogging. I fog until the engine dies it usually takes about a quart, running it out of gas helps to keep your carb from gumming up over the storage period.

Phil

Blewbyu
10-20-2005, 08:04 PM
What MINXGUY and MOP said. And, DO change the oil when you winterize as you mentioned, not in the spring.You got it right.