PDA

View Full Version : Project 66' Engine Pics

KDG
10-19-2005, 12:07 PM
It's been a while in the making but here are a few of the engine pics for our 66 barrelback. Engine was installed by my 7 year old son and me. Not sure if we'll be able to splash her soon, but we should at least get a break in run while on the trailer.

Enjoy the Pics

penbroke
10-19-2005, 08:04 PM
Nice triple hatch! The photos are stirring up some ghosts for me... :eek!: Looks like you guys are doing a great job!

Are the two extra lifting rings original equipment? The brackets look like factory...

Do you know the hull number?

How about some engine details???

Frank :lightning
been there in red

KDG
10-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Nice triple hatch! The photos are stirring up some ghosts for me... :eek!: Looks like you guys are doing a great job!

Are the two extra lifting rings original equipment? The brackets look like factory...

Do you know the hull number?

How about some engine details???

Frank :lightning
been there in red

Frank,

Thanks for the comments. We've been working away at this for some time. Always difficult to synchronize time and money, usually an issue with both. The lifiting rings were on the boat when we bought it. So far, I haven't been able to locate a hull number. Probably up towards the bow lifting ring. A bit tight. The engine fresh built, recently marinized 1988 351 windsor, 0.030" over, mild cam, weaind dual plane stealth intake, edelbrock 600 carb, exhaust logs via e-bay from a jet boat. We retained the original Holman Moody hardware, bell housing, t-stat cover, water crossover tube, water pump mount, etc. Also rebuilt the water pump. We went with the older style valve covers to maintain that 60's look. Drive is a stock volvo 250 and will be instaled this weekend. Thanks for the feedback and we'll post some more as things progress.

Kurt

boatnut
10-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Nice engine! We are planning some engine work for our '69 and also plan to keep the 250 drive and the H&M hardware. What (if anything) did you do about the gas tank? Is it still original and have you ever had any problems?
Thanks, Ed

penbroke
10-20-2005, 11:25 AM
Nice engine! What (if anything) did you do about the gas tank? Is it still original and have you ever had any problems?
Thanks, Ed

That was going to be my next question as well...

Frank

JimG
10-20-2005, 01:13 PM
Wow! Looks great! You're gonna love that Stealth. Really woke my 351 up. Did you have any clearance problems with your flame arrestor after mounting the Stealth? Mine hit the engine hatch, I guess the new manifold was about 1.5 inches taller...

JimG

KDG
10-20-2005, 03:56 PM
Wow! Looks great! You're gonna love that Stealth. Really woke my 351 up. Did you have any clearance problems with your flame arrestor after mounting the Stealth? Mine hit the engine hatch, I guess the new manifold was about 1.5 inches taller...

JimG

Good Afternoon All:

First off, thank you for the responses and nice comments. I believe that two owners back, someone made a rectagular stainless steel tank (approx. 40 gallons and with no gage) then mounted it on the ski slot under the bow. To further complicate matters, they left about 20 gallons in the tank which appears to be untreated (no stabil). For now, the fuel has to go. I'll run about 20 gallons in the tank. I need to measure capacity using a dip stick, yard stick of sorts. I eventually want to replace the tank with a new hull mounted unit.

I'm glad to hear about the stealth intake. Yes, the center hatch hits the breather. I'll either cut down the breather or replace it with a shorter unit as I'd like to avoid cutting a hole in the hatch for a scoop. Is your's a dual plane intake? The previous holley intake that came with the boat was a spread bore. My thought was that the dual plane would be more responsive at lower speeds upon accelaration and a bit more user friendly. The 40' ford coupe street rod in the background of one of the pics had a similar set up with an Edelbrock Victor Jr. intake. From a standing start, it would stumble a bit but the new dual plane stealth deid the trick. I also later replace the carb with a 600 edelbrock.

Thanks,

Kurt

JimG
10-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Yes, my manifold is a Weiand Stealth dual plane. I had to cut my flame arrestor down, way more than I'd like to have. If you find a good low profile arrestor, let me know.

I'm running a Edelbrock 600 also...

Rob
11-07-2005, 10:29 PM
Is that Edelbrock a marine carb?

KDG
11-08-2005, 08:49 AM
Good Morning Rob,

No, this is an Edelbrock 600cfm.

Kurt

Rob
11-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Just so you know, there's risk in using a non-marine carb in a marine application. Same for non-marine fuel pumps. Distributors, alternators and starters are different also.

Marine carbs have been modified to minimize the chance of fuel leakage. A fuel leak in a car's engine compartment with lots of open air to vent is one thing. A closed engine compartment in a boat is another story. Marinized carbs usually have fuel bowl vents that route back into the venturis and extra seals on the throttle plate shafts. Marine fuel pumps have an extra line that routes back to the carb in case of diaphram failure.

Not trying to be a know it all, but I would hate to see someone get hurt or their Donzi get burned to the water line.

KDG
12-21-2005, 11:19 AM
That was going to be my next question as well...
Frank

Frank,

I saw some photos of your outdrive in another thread. It looks as if the lower hole at the base of the transom plate/housing is capped from the bilge side. In reviewing a manual, it indicated there is another bellow that attaches to the outdrive for what I believe is the exhaust port. Since I'll have thru transom exhaust, is it okay to cap the housing hole and the mating flange on the drive where this hose would fit? Not sure and I wanted to see what you did with yours. My drive is a 250 Volvo.

Thanks,

Kurt

penbroke
12-21-2005, 12:05 PM
My exhaust bellows is capped from the inside. The Y-pipe was removed and a flat 1/4" aluminum plate was installed in it's place. The plate is the same profile as the mounting flange on the Y-pipe.

The bellows was (were?) removed and discarded. I capped the opening on the drive with a 3" (I think) rubber plumbing cap from the hardware store. One of those soft black ones with the stainless band clamp.

If the exhaust outlet is still open in the bottom of the drive I don't think it really matters if you cap the top or not. I have removed the exhaust outlet and replaced it with a more streamlined trim fin like those found on outboards and newer drives.

I'll try to scare up some better and more recent photos if you think it would help ya.

Frank

KDG
12-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Frank,

Thanks for the information. It sounds like ian easy fix with the plate and cap. Any pics would be greatly appreciated when you have a chance. Thanks again and have a great holiday.

Kurt

KDG
12-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Frank,
Thanks for the information. It sounds like ian easy fix with the plate and cap. Any pics would be greatly appreciated when you have a chance. Thanks again and have a great holiday.
Kurt