PDA

View Full Version : Minx repair

Cuda
10-18-2005, 12:50 PM
I started fixing things on the Minx from it's near drowning. I took it to Speemaster's here in Deland to have the bellows put on. He said he thinks it will need a gimbal bearing while he's at it.

I fixed the bilge pump problem this morning...........I hit the breaker reset! :banghead: :bonk: :embarasse

Rootsy
10-18-2005, 01:09 PM
I started fixing things on the Minx from it's near drowning. I took it to Speemaster's here in Deland to have the bellows put on. He said he thinks it will need a gimbal bearing while he's at it.

I fixed the bilge pump problem this morning...........I hit the breaker reset! :banghead: :bonk: :embarasse

if the breaker is larger than the rated amperage draw of the pump i'd for sure check all of the wiring for corrosion, etc.. and if it is all good... i'd be replacing the pump pronto...

jmho

J

Cuda
10-18-2005, 01:30 PM
It's a new pump.

onesubdrvr
10-18-2005, 04:14 PM
Joe, Joe, Joe,.....

Don't get frustrated, quit :banghead: :splat: :bonk: :banghead: :splat: :bonk: , or, at least when you get to that point, give me a call, I'll make you a deal you can't refuse, because it'll get you out of the bilge!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Wayne

Cuda
10-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Nah, I ain't gonna quit. I'm more motivated than ever now after being at the Rally. I found a place here in Deland today that does everything for boats, from engines, paint, upholstery, to canvas work. I hear they are good, and not that expensive as far as these things go.

I've got some new ideas for the Minx. Out with the original, in with the bling.:)

donzi182003
10-18-2005, 07:08 PM
Deland is a really cool place. I bought my boat there at Pier 44 Marina. I would not mind owning a place up there someday. Bit off topic ..sorry:cool:

Cuda
10-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Pier 44 Marina was the first place I went to see about having the work done this morning. They are closed on Tuesdays. I live about half a mile from there.

gcarter
10-18-2005, 08:35 PM
Joe, this must be getting really old, do what it takes this time. :smash: :yippie:

I'd sell my Minx for the right amount of money!!

Gulfbum
10-18-2005, 09:32 PM
Jo,

I am moving my girlfriends son from Utah to your town (Deland) in a couple of weeks. He got a job at Holly Bluff Marina so we will be up there a lot. We might run into you someday and I would love to see your Minx sometime.

Frank

Cuda
10-19-2005, 08:19 PM
Joe, this must be getting really old, do what it takes this time. :smash: :yippie:

I'd sell my Minx for the right amount of money!!
Damn George, you make it sound like I'm not trying to do it right. You would think three times the engine was installed, one of the mechanics might have noticed they needed changed.

Cuda
10-20-2005, 02:41 PM
I stopped by this morning to check on the Minx. He was working on it when I was there. He found a bad gimbal bearing, a back gimbal ring bearing, the bellows were shot, and the u-joints were cheap automotive type, and not marine parts. Looks like I'll be double or more of the original estimate.

I also towed the Checkmate over to have a full cover and cockpit cover made for it. While I was there, I went over a few ideas with him for a new interior for the Minx.

gcarter
10-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Damn George, you make it sound like I'm not trying to do it right. You would think three times the engine was installed, one of the mechanics might have noticed they needed changed.
Joe, I meant no offense.
What I did mean is that it would be hard for me to trust someone else to repair things that could endanger the boat. Or at least keep a close eye on him (or her).

Cuda
10-21-2005, 04:08 PM
I was optomistic about being double the price. Originally, just to replace the bellows estimate was $300, now it's $1400! :angryfire

Now I'm weighing my options. I hate to put that much money in an old drive. I could pull the drive off my F20 and put it on.