PDA

View Full Version : Trim Position

Schnook
10-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Can I get some advice on trim tabs and power trim position. I have a 96 27zx and no idea how to use them.

joel3078
10-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Read and learn!

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/whatdo.htm

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/faq1.htm

Carl C
10-18-2005, 02:05 PM
I'm new at this too but this is what I've learned. I use the tabs to keep the boat running level but for top speed you need to try and get them up as far as possible. Drop both tabs to control porpoising at low speeds or with people in the back seat. Mark on your trim gauge the point at which your prop shaft is level with the bottom of your boat. You will usually run a little positive trim, more when looking for top speed. Use negative trim only when things are rough and hairy or when planing the boat.:p

mrfixxall
10-18-2005, 07:17 PM
trim position,hmmmmmmm doggy style..........................lol

gold-n-rod
10-18-2005, 07:29 PM
trim position,hmmmmmmm doggy style..........................lol

I prefer my trim "up." To each his own!!! :smash:

zimm17
10-20-2005, 08:31 AM
Mark on your trim gauge the point at which your prop shaft is level with the bottom of your boat.:p

Hmmm....Trim indicators...don't have those. How much does one of those Stainless Marine trim indicator setups cost? Need cables, indicator panel, etc. Any have pics of them installed in a 22 classic?

Carl C
10-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Hmmm....Trim indicators...don't have those. How much does one of those Stainless Marine trim indicator setups cost? Need cables, indicator panel, etc. Any have pics of them installed in a 22 classic? Are you confusing trim indicator with tab indicators? You should have a trim ind. Tab indicators you must install. There is another thread showing some neat installations. My tabs auto retract whenever the key is turned off. You can add this option to any bennett tab system. Some members don't like this option but without indicators I like it. Before planing I drop the left tab (right switch) for 4 seconds. This gets me close to running level. Here is a pic of my '05 22C dash.The trim ind. is at top left.

zimm17
10-20-2005, 06:35 PM
Yes, tab indicators are what I'm thinking about. If ever go that route, I should get the tab and trim panel, that would free up a 2 1/16" hole for a depth sounder.

Anyone have pics of trim tab indicators installed?

gold-n-rod
10-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Yes, tab indicators are what I'm thinking about. If ever go that route, I should get the tab and trim panel, that would free up a 2 1/16" hole for a depth sounder.

Anyone have pics of trim tab indicators installed?

With thanks to Brad Verd (rapidly becoming the site's photo laureate), here are pics of the trimdicators on my 16. They are located just to the right of the steering wheel, with the switches between the trimdicators and the throttle.

HTH,

MOP
10-20-2005, 08:26 PM
I'm with "Carl C" normally my left tab is down about 1 inch for regular cruising, when running hard the tabs are up. I have neither tab or trim indicators don't believe in them, I use the tabs full down to take the low speed wander out near the dock and to level the boat side to side when cruising. As far as a trim indicators sea conditions and load present to many variables, it is a matter of feel. When trimming the drive at high speed does any one sit there transfixed watching the trim gauge. After a good WOT run most everyone will look over at their gauge and make a mental note to be close to that reading, but conditions change and so will the degree of trim to get the best results. At cruise I trim until the RPM rises slightly then tap it down a tad until the boat hooks up and the RPM's are solid, at WOT I trim with one eye is on the GPS to get the best results. A real nice clock replaced my trim gauge.

Phil