one to their bow or swimplatform when anchored and run a shorepower
cord from the gen to the shorepower inlet on the boat. What do
you think? I know with a water cooled exhaust it drastically cuts
the CO2 emissions due to shorter half lifes in the breakdown, etc
on a permanant, water cooled Kohler 5k set-up......The Honda's
are EPA/Carb compliant......just wonder on the carbon dioxide
emission difference between the aircooled Honda and say a
water cooled Kohler.....I can't find anything on emissions in
the technical side of the specs for either......
General concensus everytime I hear people talk about this is,
save a couple bucks.....end up dead.....

Mac
10-18-2005, 06:50 AM
As long as the generator is located as you said on the deck or the swim platform you should not have any problem. They are super quiet, I have a Yamaha EF2400is, it is more powerfull and quieter than the Honda, without being much bigger, I use it for camping with my 5th wheel, the Honda could not start my 13.5k btu AC but the Yamaha can.

delliott00
10-18-2005, 02:56 PM
I use a Honda eu2000i on my Donzi Z275 cruiser. Just as you said, I strap it to the swim platform and plug it into shore power. I only use it when on the hook so its always down wind.

I have 3 digital CO detectors on the boat (1 deck, fore & aft cabin). None of them have ever registered a whif of CO from the Honda. I even had to "exhaust" test them to make sure they worked. When a buddy of mine with a genset tied up along side me, I suddenly started to see a blip of CO. Despite the fact that his exhaust was on the other side and also downwind. When I was testing them I took one home with me and it registered much more CO sitting in traffic than I could get it to register holding it a few feet from the Honda. So I think it can be just as safe as a genset if used properly.

Granted, I would prefer to have a Westerbeke SafeCO genset, but at $7K installed I'll wait until the next boat and get one from the factory.

I use my honda for running the air cond or cooking, everything else runs fine off an inverter. I can run it for 30 mins before we go to sleep and it cools off the cabin nicely. Occasionally I'll have to run it briefly to dehumidify but I never leave it running.

It has enough power to run the fridge, battery charger, and still start up the A/C (10K BTU marineair).

I hope Honda enters the genset market soon. If they can make money selling the 2kw unit for $900, you'd think they could make a 3kw water cooled low emissions no spark unit for marine applications for under $2500. Most of the components are off the shelf for them. Look what they did with outboards in a short time.

Best thing is when I upgrade I'm sure I'll get better resale on the eu2000 via ebay than I would investing $7K in a genset.

-Dave
'00 Donzi Z275 7.4L MPi Bravo 3 "Sol Searcher"

Sweet18
10-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Is so quite & burns so little gas & is so small & liteweight, I can't believe it! It's been one of the best things I've ever bought. Great for hurricanes too! Sweet18