PDA

View Full Version : Winterize or Bilge heater?

mjbtx
10-18-2005, 06:07 AM
I live in Dallas, TX. I perfer not to winterize....
anybody try these bilge heaters.....or any other
suggestions....

http://www.xtremeheaters.com/

Pismo
10-18-2005, 08:55 AM
Remove four plugs and three hoses and you worries are gone. It will take you less than five munites.

Sam
10-18-2005, 09:48 AM
They work fine as long as you have power :yes: . The only thing they don't do is protect the inside of your engine from rust , corrision ect :eek!: . Don't forget to use gas stabil and a fogging agent.

MOP
10-18-2005, 02:04 PM
Winterize it is just not worth sweating it on those real cold nights.

Phil

mrfixxall
10-18-2005, 02:57 PM
winterize it,,,,heres what you do,, put the earmuffs on your lower unit turn hose on all the way.. after it warms up to 110 deg turn off engine,pull the plugs in the block and start your engine back with the plugs out(this will flush out all the crap like sand mud or whatever settels in your water passages in your block)p.s. you may need a little pic to brake through the crap that steeled in the block..leave your engine run for a min or so,turn off then remove the riser plugs older mercs and others have brass plugs newer plastic blue or black plugs located on the bottom of the riser.than find the oil cooler and take the brass plug out of it or it will freeze and crack ,,then pull the hose off the water pump and let it drain..prier to doing all of this make sure you add stable to your fuel..once this done i usually put all the pluge back in ,and i have a big catch with a old bilage pump in it,,i fill it with sierra bio antifreeze start the engine with the bilage pump running already and let it warm up again and i check the antifreeze with my refractor to make sure that its good for 50+below zero while the engine is running i fog the engine so the valves and valve seats dont develop rust over the winter...done next i check the drive oil to make sure theirs no water in the oil because this will crack the drive then greece the drive and gimble them a good wash and wax leaving the wax on over winter and bull it off in the spring,,,,,,,,,,done................