PDA

View Full Version : Donzi 35ZF throttle controls, HELP!!!

donzist
10-17-2005, 09:31 PM
I just purchased a donzi 35zf with twin mercury verado 275's. I would like adive on whether I should put the mercury smartcraft guages(which is a digital throttle) or keep the zero effort controls I ordered it with (which are a cable system) Can anyone give me the benefits/drawbacks to either one?
It seems like a crime in a sense not to use the smartcraft electronic throttles if the motors are equipped for it, (thinking it is best to use technology to it full potential), easier docking? yet I dont know how they'll perform in rough water throttling in the seas I usually pound on. i guess the zero effort are better at this no, but harder at docking and close manouvers?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

ChromeGorilla
10-17-2005, 09:47 PM
While the zero efforts will do a great job I hear the digital shift jobbies are supposed to be really schweeeet.....

Team Hula Girl
10-18-2005, 12:04 AM
I just purchased a donzi 35zf with twin mercury verado 275's. I would like adive on whether I should put the mercury smartcraft guages(which is a digital throttle) or keep the zero effort controls I ordered it with (which are a cable system) Can anyone give me the benefits/drawbacks to either one?
It seems like a crime in a sense not to use the smartcraft electronic throttles if the motors are equipped for it, (thinking it is best to use technology to it full potential), easier docking? yet I dont know how they'll perform in rough water throttling in the seas I usually pound on. i guess the zero effort are better at this no, but harder at docking and close manouvers?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Donzist,

Your Zero efforts are electronic controls also. With the Verados you only have the choice of Zero effort or the Mercury DTS controls. Either way they will both feel very smooth as long as the motors are running. From my personal experience with both of them on multiple types of boats the differences are really pretty simple. The zero efforts have longer levers and the lever arms only perform one function, (shift or throttle). The DTS controls have shorter levers and they perform multiple functions, (shift and throttle). If your boating conditions require you to do a lot of "throttling" because rough water then I would recommend staying with the Zero Effort. I have found that it is easier to control the longer lever in rough conditions more so than the shorter levers of the DTS controls. The Drawback to the Zero efforts is that they can take a little while to get used to if you have only ever used the multiple function controls. This is generally a short term learning curve around the docks. The drawback to the DTS controls is that they can sometimes be over compensated in the rough stuff. If you are constatly throttling at higher speeds you can and will make the mistake of shifting the levers into neutral and/or reverse. Only the DTS controls levers can be adjusted so that they feel stiffer or loose. It is a simple 5mm adjustment.

I hope this helps. The easiest way to think about the differences is to remember that the Zero Efforts will perform better in a performance application. And the DTS controls will perform better in a cruising application.

If you have any specific questions just post them and I will try and help.

J Mitchell