PDA

View Full Version : Offshore trips

mjbtx
10-17-2005, 02:07 AM
Say your planning offshore trips from Florida to Bahamas and beyond.
I never have done it. What is the best way to calculate distance in
miles and nautical miles, course, etc? I have the Garmin 178C sounder/GPS.
The plug-in cards are OK.....do you recommend a different system?
Besides poker runs like Florida Powerboat Association hosts, what is another
method to hook-up with other boaters to go a trip? Also, is there a good
way to find locations on the islands for gas, etc? Has anybody taken
any good courses, ie Coast Guard or other, on the above?
Here's a map of the area, what is in reach of a 33'ZX? This month in
Yachting/Motorboating mag, they did a trip w/400 mile legs from center of
Carribean to Florida.....diesel motor....40 some footer.

http://www.maps.com/referenceProduct.aspx?nav=RM&cid=694,726,742,885&pid=12401

TuxedoPk
10-17-2005, 07:19 AM
I'm assuming you have paper charts for the trip you want and your Garmin is just a backup :yes: A guide chart such as Embassy's http://www.maptech.com/water/embassyguides/index.cfm should be on hand as well. I'm not sure what the appropriate guide book for the Bahamas. These guide books will show you all of the marinas, gas docks, etc. in a given area.

You'd want to start plotting your course on your chart with a #2 pencil, and measure distances with a pair of dividers. A pair of dividers and parallel rulers take care of your distance and directional issues.

It sounds like you need to really start learning the basics of navigation. I've read quite a few books on this topic and took a navigational course earlier this year.

If I might recommend to you what I consider to be the best written source of information on this subject, "Boater's Bowditch" by Richard Hubbard. Hubbard was the editor of the 1995 edition of The American Practical Navigator, the most widely recognized publication on the art and science of navigation- though not the easiest to read and containing much information that is more important to commercial vessels than pleasure craft.

Boater's Bowditch contains everything you will need to know about navigation presented in a well organized manner, and well written. It contains everything from inshore piloting, to charts, aids to navigation, GPS and other electronic navigation tools, celestial navigation, and weather.

Personally I don't think it's wise to go much offshore relying only on a GPS or Chartplotter. You're still going to want to plot your periodic location on a paper chart or in a log book as a back up and understand how to make dead reckoning plots in the event your electronics should fail.

Say your planning offshore trips from Florida to Bahamas and beyond.
I never have done it. What is the best way to calculate distance in
miles and nautical miles, course, etc? I have the Garmin 178C sounder/GPS.
The plug-in cards are OK.....do you recommend a different system?
Besides poker runs like Florida Powerboat Association hosts, what is another
method to hook-up with other boaters to go a trip? Also, is there a good
way to find locations on the islands for gas, etc? Has anybody taken
any good courses, ie Coast Guard or other, on the above?
Here's a map of the area, what is in reach of a 33'ZX? This month in
Yachting/Motorboating mag, they did a trip w/400 mile legs from center of
Carribean to Florida.....diesel motor....40 some footer.

http://www.maps.com/referenceProduct.aspx?nav=RM&cid=694,726,742,885&pid=12401

DonziJon
10-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Have looked at this post and procrastinated as to whether to post a response. Oviously I have lost my argument with myself.

First, my background, for whatever it's worth, although crossing over to the Bahamas from Florida IS different. In 1979, I sailed the Bermuda 1-2..Single Handed Race from Newport, RI to Bermuda and back in a C&C 27. In 1981, I sailed the same race in a C&C 32. Solo down and back in both cases. This race is 635 NM each way.. crossing the Gulf Stream.

Crossing the 90 some odd miles from Florida to Grand Bahama is not an open ocean situation but it does offer a unique experience. I'd like to hear from some on this board who have done it. Power or sail. There is a "Current" that flows north around the Florida keys through the "Straits of Florida" between the mainland and the Bahamas. I can't remember the name of the current. This current runs at 6+ knots through the gap between, in a northerly direction. When the wind gets going opposite the current, it gets positively interesting. So you say.. I can do 30 knots and I'll be there in three hours. This is true.

With all due respect, I suggest this Trip is NOT for those who have little or no experience with navigation or seamanship. A course in "Piloting and Seamanship" would be a plus, but "EXPERIENCE" will not be learned in such a class.

NEXT: A 33 foot Donzi would be a "Perfect" target for those individuals who need a boat for a "Quick and Dirty" drug run. Owners of these canidate boats do not come home.

Sorry to "DUMP" on this idea. Maybe someone else can offer a more optimistic scenerio.

mjbtx
10-17-2005, 07:11 PM
I'll probably go on a poker run next year with a club like
Florida offshore powerboat club.

No matter where I go offshore, I'll be packing a 9 glock
or 50 magnum research. I won't be drinking on the sea,
so I'm a pretty good shot and doubt I'll miss my target.

Also thought about the Florida keys or Destin, Fl
area. It would probably be a pretty cool ride to
Dry Turtugas(sp?)......Gulf current probably not
as bad there. Plus trailering my boat from Dallas, TX to
Destin is alot better that Dallas to east coast of Florida
by about 8-10hrs depending where you trying to end-up.

DonziJon
10-17-2005, 07:30 PM
I'll probably go on a poker run next year with a club like
Florida offshore powerboat club.

No matter where I go offshore, I'll be packing a 9 glock
or 50 magnum research. I won't be drinking on the sea,
so I'm a pretty good shot and doubt I'll miss my target.

Also thought about the Florida keys or Destin, Fl
area. It would probably be a pretty cool ride to
Dry Turtugas(sp?)......Gulf current probably not
as bad there. Plus trailering my boat from Dallas, TX to
Destin is alot better that Dallas to east coast of Florida
by about 8-10hrs depending where you trying to end-up.

Will you have the nerve to shoot first?????? Drug runners are professionals. They won't hesitate to Waste You in a "Heartbeat"....a "Cocaine Heartbeat". How will your Glock do against a 50 Cal on a tripod? :bonk:

I apologize again for being SO Blunt. I'm normally a real nice guy. I can't find the definition in my dictionary for "UBERMAN". http://www.donzi.net/ubb/graemlins/cool.gif

Florida Keys sounds good.

DonziDave
10-17-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm with Mad Poodle - Bimini is a piece of cake. Once there, the rest of the islands are just short hops. One time in the early 80's, during my mis-spent youth, myself and two friends took off out of Government Cut in a 20' chopper-gun lake boat with a 140 HP Evinrude clamp-on, extra cans of gas in the back, a paper chart, a compass vice-gripped to the dash, a $25.00 portable radio with a direction finder antenna, and headed for Bimini. We waited for the weather to give us a following sea. We hit South Bimini dead on after about 2 1/2 hours. Spent a week hanging out between Bimini and Cat Cay. Waited for the weather to reverse and took a following sea back to Miami. Ahh...the follies of youth and stupidity....!!! Big Fun...!!! :shades:

mjbtx
10-17-2005, 09:48 PM
How far does the Abacos island chain go down toward Puerto Rico, etc?
How about a Donzi group run out there? That way we all get lost!

DonziDave
10-17-2005, 09:53 PM
A follow up to my earlier post. During this time in the early 80's, Bimini was like a wild west town. Full of drug runners and other scary people. When we pulled into Bimini harbor to check in at the customs office, a Bahamas Navy gunboat was sitting sunk at the dock. It had been sunk by some of the druggers..!! We were sitting in a bar on night when the cops came running in and drew down on everyone with automatic weapons looking for one of the usual suspects. One night about 3 am, there was a huge roar of boats in the harbor cranking up leaving all at once. I guess they were all going fishing.
:yes:

Islander
10-18-2005, 07:10 AM
I've cruised the Bahama chain for the last 30 odd years, and it's no big deal if you know what you're doing. If you don't know what you're doing you can get into trouble in a pond. Navigation isn't only pointing your boat in the right direction and relying on a gps. There are a lot of ifs. If there's a reef between you and your destination you better be able to spot it visually or you may need a new set of drives. If the weather doesn't cooperate, the Gulfstream, and even the Bahama Bank can get real ugly, and 33' will feel awful small. If you have mechanical problems underway you better hope you can fix them or you'll be bobbing about in the middle of nowhere for quite awhile. In short, know your limitations and plan accordingly.

In the late 70's we were in Nassau on a 46 Hatteras getting ready to head to the Exumas, and a guy from Miami was there on a 46 Bertram and asked if he could follow us since he didn't feel comfortable getting there on his own. We told him no problem, but to look out for, and steer clear of these huge coral heads that almost come up to the surface and are all over this area known as the Yellow Banks. Well sure enough he's following behind us about 500 yards back, inside our wake, and we steer around a large coral head that was plainly visible to us, but with the wind and current our wake goes right over the head and so does he. He was evidently incapable of knowing what to look for. The result was two blades torn off of a prop and a bent shaft, and the other prop got pretty banged up. It was a slow ride back to Nassau and the guy had to fly in a new shaft and two props and have them installed in a dry dock in Nassau. Not a fun way to spend a vacation. We later dubbed him "Captain Crunch".

DonziJon
10-18-2005, 10:17 AM
DJ, you have seen WAY too many episodes of Miamuh Vice.. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

I loved Miami Vice! You mean it wasn't REAL???? :cool!:

Johntrip
10-18-2005, 02:50 PM
We took our 33zx from south Miami to Bimini a few times this summer. Summer is the best time for a Bahama run because the seas are calm and the water is warm. Although, their is a bad sea lice problem around March and April. We went for Memorial Day Weekend with a large group around 50+ and 20 of us got eaten up bad..!! Anyway, it's 52 miles from Stiltsville to Bimini. We normally use up 200-220 gallons of fuel in three days of cruising around the island. Bimini does not have 93 octane, only 89... On our last return from Bimini we encountered 6 to 8 foot seas. I'm running with 26 bravos and to stay on a plane I've got to maintain 30 miles an hour give or take.. I will probably hook up with some smaller pitched props for that situation. Oh, one other thing.... Make sure your horn cover is installed tightly. I've lost mine twice from the waves running up the side of the boat.

We would love to run over with another 33zx.!!! Let us know!

Johntrip
10-18-2005, 03:00 PM
LOL...!! Bimini is not what it used to be... Heck, I took my 3 kids there along with 5 other kids our friends brought. It's safe and I left my guns at home.!!
Will you have the nerve to shoot first?????? Drug runners are professionals. They won't hesitate to Waste You in a "Heartbeat"....a "Cocaine Heartbeat". How will your Glock do against a 50 Cal on a tripod? :bonk:

I apologize again for being SO Blunt. I'm normally a real nice guy. I can't find the definition in my dictionary for "UBERMAN". http://www.donzi.net/ubb/graemlins/cool.gif

Florida Keys sounds good.