View Full Version : value of bench seat hornet

DAULEY
10-16-2005, 06:33 PM
what would be the value of a bench seat hornet restored to original
427 v drive

mattyboy
10-16-2005, 06:58 PM
more than all the tea in china
what value to have and hold or to flip on???

boldts
10-16-2005, 07:18 PM
As with any other boat. It's only worth how much love and care you have put into it for yourself or as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

Take the Criterion that has been for sale forever. Is it worth what the owner is asking just because it's been restored and a new drive train put into it? To someone who really wants one, maybe. To most others who could care less about what type of Donzi it is, there are a ton of good usable boats for sale.

I have a 1/24th scale diecast collection of Dale Earnhardt special paint scheme cars used at the Winston in Charolette. To me, priceless. To someone else, probably worth about $25 dollars a piece times 6.

If restoring the boat for yourself to have and use, that Donzi is very rare and would be priceless. To turn around and sell after the restore, you'll be at the mursey of what someone wants to pay. Good luck with it. It could really be a piece of history.

DAULEY
10-16-2005, 07:57 PM
to have and hold its a friend of mine that ownes it and doesnt want to be upside down in it
he is planning on putting about 20 k into it

mattyboy
10-16-2005, 08:28 PM
its a friend of mine

as a parent I fell for that line once !!! ;)
I have to ask this question " well does your friend have a name?"
:p

well you could compare it to a new 19 foot bench seat runabout?? :Rolleyes:

would this " friend" expect to recoup his 20k?? or would the facts that Mr Boldts brought up be enough

If he wants to have and hold and 20 k is the only investment for a boat that would be a crowd gatherer, center of attention, a must see!!!
a true piece of history
or if he looks for a return on his investment than play the market or bet usc this year!!!

olredalert
10-16-2005, 10:34 PM
Dauley,

-------Do you mean that he will have $20,000 in the boat total or he will invest 20 in resto??? If 20 total, hell yes!!! Ill buy a restored bench-seat Hornet V-drive right now for twenty if the engine was big enough. You know, I might pay that for it without the engine at all. I dont know how many of the rest of you will agree or not but put my name at the top of the list..........Bill S

Formula Jr
10-17-2005, 04:31 AM
For comparatives, we would have to look at what other really rare runabouts go for. The most collectable runabouts are easily the Chris Craft barrel backs of the 30's, 40's and 50's with the ultimate being the 1955 Cobras. I've seen these as high as 66K. All the numbers drop significantly for glass boats in the 18 to 22 foot range. Even for perfect and very rare ones from the 60's. They hoover around 25k. This is across the board from CC Supersports, to restored Hornets to Bertrams. Its like a cap of some kind. I sometimes fall into the theory that rare glass boats should follow the same pricing and appreciation that has happened with performance cars. But that has not happened. People do go wide eyed when they see a really nice example of a rare glass runabout. But there isn't a large, common knowledge base as to which ones are rare. And that keeps the numbers down. To get to big numbers, there has to be a big demand for the select few perfect examples available.
Ask any 40 year old millionaire which cars are collectable and they will give you a long list off the top of their head. Ask that same population which runabouts are collectable and they might struggle to think of one or two, if any. Donzi would not, most likely, even be in this list.

There are after all, only 5000 or so members on this board that love these boats enough to have found this site and joined. That is a tiny, almost insignificant number of informed potential buyers.

So, just by looking at past numbers, if a bench had 25k into it, that is about what he would get back out.

Cuda
10-17-2005, 05:05 AM
Sure, it's worth more than most boats of this era, but it takes a special buyer, and there aren't that many of them out there.

There's quite a difference between rare and valuable. For instance, the picture of my sister and I when I was two years old is rare, but as for value, you'd have to ask my mom.

DAULEY
10-17-2005, 09:50 AM
the boat is owned by a private collect in florida and he asked me not to give his name out he has quite the collection of boats and said some day his kids will sell them but he never will as long as he can enjoy them