PDA

View Full Version : Alpha 1 OD--HELP!!

tmdog
10-14-2005, 06:05 PM
88 Alpha 1 started to clunk . I feel it in the wheel and gear shift. Even over the noise of exh. the clunk can be heard. Most notable in gear at idle. It does not do it all the time but intermittently. It seems like the speed looses a notch when it does it. Any help is appreciated and needed. Thanks :confused: :confused:

DonziJon
10-14-2005, 07:38 PM
88 Alpha 1 started to clunk . I feel it in the wheel and gear shift. Even over the noise of exh. the clunk can be heard. Most notable in gear at idle. It does not do it all the time but intermittently. It seems like the speed looses a notch when it does it. Any help is appreciated and needed. Thanks http://www.donzi.net/ubb/confused.gif http://www.donzi.net/ubb/confused.gif

I take my Alpha 1 ('86) off the boat at the end of every season.. not because I want to, but because I HAVE to.. to get the boat in the garage. Therefore I have to put it back on the next spring. I have done this the last 9+ years. Never had a problem. This makes me an expert. Bear with me. This past September.. running late putting it on, I put the drive back on. When it was done, It wouldn't shift. I had to take it off and do it over again. I'm a victim. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/confused.gif
Replaced a shift cable a few years ago because: shifting into reverse would shut off the engine. OK: Enough BS on my part.

Based on your limited info, my guess is you need to look at the "Gimbal Bearing." "Clunk" Vs "Rumble" ??. If it's a rumble I suspect the gimble bearing. Clunk...I'm not sure. Clunk would be more like a shifting problem. All outdrives "Clunk" when shifted from neutral to drive. Outdrives are not smooth "Velvet Drives" like you have with "strait" inboards. Reading your post again.. check your "Gimbal Bearing". If you are not familiar with what this is, post again and I will describe further.

MOP
10-14-2005, 07:42 PM
If the engine is doing a quick drop in RPM but recovering immediatley (like a quick jolt) sounds like there is a small hunk of a gear tooth floating around in the upper, pull the top cap off and take a look. At any rate noise is N/G!

Phil

tmdog
10-15-2005, 08:25 AM
As you described MOP. A quick jolt. It is audible and is felt thru the entire boat. Gimble bearing, I don't think so. Replaced a few in the past and am aware of symtoms. If I decide to scrap this OD, where is the best place to buy new or remanufactured upper and lower? This is a 1.5 Alpha 1.

MOP
10-15-2005, 09:31 AM
As you described MOP. A quick jolt. It is audible and is felt thru the entire boat. Gimble bearing, I don't think so. Replaced a few in the past and am aware of symtoms. If I decide to scrap this OD, where is the best place to buy new or remanufactured upper and lower? This is a 1.5 Alpha 1.

Not sure where to get a good deal, being as it is an 88 you need to find out what drives will fit that gimble, you may find a deal on Ebay for a complete later package. I sold my complete Alpha setup bell housing to drive for 1K, you should be able to come close or beat that. Thankfully winter is here so it is a good time to upgrade.

Phil