PDA

View Full Version : Big Screen TVs

RedDog
10-12-2005, 09:02 PM
I am looking to upgrade my TV. I currently have a 50" Mitsubishi rear projection that is still nice ('97 or '98 model). However, I recently upgraded my cable TV package to digital. I would now like to upgrade the TV to a wide screen high definition capable model. I think a rear projection would suit me better than the new flat panels. I am thinking a 50 to 55 inch wide screen is what will fit my room but then I haven't looked at the wide screens much to know how the sizes compare to the older format.

Any suggestions or avoidances?

HD monitor or HD tuner?
Inputs - I see the various options - what do I need? DVI or HDMI or both?
CableCARD?

RedDog
10-12-2005, 09:05 PM
or I could by a set of Stainless Marine exhaust - probably a harder sell to the Boss though...

Moody Blu'
10-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Best way to go is a dual tuner HD DVR cable box, IMHO they are better then tivo and plays back in HD format, i reccomend them to all my clients with cable. you can schedule recordings for a whole season of a show.

with tivo you need a phone line hooked up.

as far as rear pro's go, your definately gonna get the best bang for your buck with them. the only tv's that are MONITORS are plasmas and certain lcd's this is exactly what it says, just a monitor no tuners. Yes they have monitors with tuners and the ability to have a cable card installed on them, but, this goes for all tv's with "cable card ready tv's" some of the features of the cable companies boxes will nto work like the guide and pay per view.(they may have a fix for this but as far as i know they dont).

HDMI and DVI, to be honest both these technologies were RUSHED. the hdmi connection is having problems already, they lock up sat boxes and other devices if they are not turned on in a certain order. SECOND, I have perosnally scrutinized the image of a HDMI input and a COMPONENT input back to back on the same exact setup(tv reciever cable box). the COMPONENT input is sharper, has darker blacks and whiter whites. THIRD there is already talk of the HDMI connector changing to a 2nd generation HDMI2 connector and a upgraded firmware version. ALOT of people RAVE about there hdmi conenction and how its the latest greatest thing out. I say BS it has not been around long enough and with the problems i have read about it it is not a technology that has been completely proven YET. the main reason the industry s going towards HDMI and DVI(dvi will be done soon) is because of the HANDSHAKE that has to be seen on the TV and whatever device is connected to it. this is being developed to stop THIEVES from taking a high def video and recording it onto a piece of equipment where they can then mass produce it and rip off the film companies etc.

1080i is the highest output form any piece of equipment thus far. 1080P is right around the corner though, so i would say whatever tv you buy make sur eits capable of 1080P.

On another note, SHARP just released a 65" LCD which has a HIGHER resolution then any plasma on the market. If plasma technology doesnt come up with something just as good or better then LCD soon, plasma tv's will be a thing of the past. just look, sony is already out of the plasma market.

In closing words, I would say find a tv with 1080i/1080p and make sure it has at least 2 component inputs. like i said before the HD cable ready tvs are nice but lack the functionality of a cable box, and if you want the HD DVR(digital video recorder) then the choice is logical. I dont know if you have a reciever with component input switching, if you do then connect all your component inputs to the reciever(dvd/cable) and use the montior OUT on the reciever to INPUT to the new TV. this will allow you to switch your sound and picture through your surround sound reciever.

the new mitsubishi rear pros are really SHARP, so are the toshibas. i think the mitsubishis have the sharpest pic for a rear pro.

if you have any other questions please ask, i can answer any of your questions.

Mac
10-13-2005, 07:24 AM
Broque,
Seems like you know quite a bit about TVs, I am looking to get a LCD TV, due to wall space the largest I can go is about 32" I currently have HD cable with the built in DVR, and do not forsee any need for a tuner, just a monitor, is there one brand you would reconmend over another? There are so many to choose from, I do not have an unlimited budget though, I would say max would be about $1500. Thanks.

Surfer
10-13-2005, 07:55 AM
Broque is right about Sharp, great picture for the buck, we just installed five 32" LCD in a sports bar, you can pick one up for about $1499.

Moody Blu'
10-13-2005, 08:34 AM
Broque is right about Sharp, great picture for the buck, we just installed five 32" LCD in a sports bar, you can pick one up for about $1499.

ya the sharp lcd's are nice we installed 6 37" sharp lcd's and 2 45" sharp lcd's at T.G.I.F in the new staten island resturaunt and we are doing 2 more stores in connetcicut. they do have cable tuners in them but like i said they lack functionality.

mac for your size I would say the best tv is a misubishi lt3050, but they cost around 3k-4k i would say go with a sharp 32" if you see the high def pic on the mitsubishi you might change your mind on how much you can spend.

RedDog
10-13-2005, 09:02 AM
Best way to go is ...
Thanks MB - that is some great input - certainly better than I would have expected for the sales kids at the electronics store

Donzigo
10-13-2005, 09:54 AM
How long before the whole system of broadcasting goes high definition?

MrsDigger
10-13-2005, 01:05 PM
We got a 50" Sony plasma TV and we are thrilled with it. Digger did all the research, and that was what he picked...it is also CR's highest-rated unit. The HD programming is amazing! Football in HD...wow!!!!!

Moody Blu'
10-13-2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks MB - that is some great input - certainly better than I would have expected for the sales kids at the electronics store

I'm no sales kid thats for sure, im a designer/programmer/project manager for my company. You would be surprised at how many older sales guys blow smoke up custoemrs asses and dont know what there talking about.

How long before the whole system of broadcasting goes high definition?

Who knows, all the networks have to pretty much scrap there old broadcasting equipment in order to broadcast in HD, that means HD cameras, HD broadcasting units. Even then some of the networks are not sending a 16:9 HD signal and have these cute little side bars to fill in the sides, I really dont know why, I would guess because of the cost of a full HD 16:9 broadcasting unit.

the price of tv's will be going down as long as people who have money buy them now, just like every technology, once enough people buy it the price goes down. the prices ARE GOING DOWN NOW.

it seems alot of people are pulling out of plasma technology, im not sure if its to soon or not. but fact is LCD'S are up to 65" the only plasmas bigger are 70" and the resolution is higher on the lcd's so im sort of leaning towards lcd's, YES they cost more but thats because they are new, the mroe people buy them the lower the price will go.

Carl C
10-14-2005, 08:17 AM
Is this one big enough for you? It's my 64" Pioneer RP. I love it - beautiful picture.:yes:

Moody Blu'
10-17-2005, 07:48 PM
how about this

Forrest
10-18-2005, 04:59 PM
. . . I would say find a tv with 1080i/1080p . . .

The only problem with 1080p is that broadcasters have no plans to go from 720p/1080i to 1080p anywhere in the foreseeable future. The only thing that I know of that currently has 1080p capability is a few front projection units that contain the TI DLP chip, which rules out all currently made LCDs, plasmas, and rear projection sets.

Also, almost all current model HD sets will not have a DVI input connection - only HDMI and component inputs.

Moody Blu'
10-18-2005, 08:01 PM
The only problem with 1080p is that broadcasters have no plans to go from 720p/1080i to 1080p anywhere in the foreseeable future. The only thing that I know of that currently has 1080p capability is a few front projection units that contain the TI DLP chip, which rules out all currently made LCDs, plasmas, and rear projection sets.

Also, almost all current model HD sets will not have a DVI input connection - only HDMI and component inputs.

It will be seen and dvd will be in 1o80i and 1080p in the near future with no upconversion.I was at cedia forest I know whats goin on ;).

also,there alot of models floating around with dvi inputs , as well as hdmi/dvi OUTPUTS and hdmi/DVI inputs.

Forrest
10-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Non-upconverted 1080p will probably be available in DVD format in the near future, but since 1080p requires twice the bandwidth of 720p/1080i (1080p requires 3 Gbps where 720p/1080i requires 1.5 Gbps), I don't think that you will see cable and satellite companies rushing out to embrace the technology anytime soon while they are still trying to figure out how to compress as much programming, both SD and HD, on their present systems. For the most part, broadcasters are not interested in the incrementally upgraded picture that 1080p will yield, especially while they are heavily investing into 720p/1080i technology. I'm just saying for now, when shopping for a new television, the requirement for 1080p capability would not be on my list, unless of course you have to be the first on the block with it. :p

Yea, you know you are right Broque, you still see DVI interfaces on cable and sat boxes, DVD players, and television - but I doubt that will be for much longer. HDMI has pretty much replaced DVI . . . and yes, DVI and HDMI has all to do with High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP).

Is this one big enough for you? It's my 64" Pioneer RP. I love it - beautiful picture.:yes:
Nice set Carl! You are also watching one of my favorite shows as well!

Tony
10-19-2005, 11:31 AM

Broque...I think you misunderstood this comment. He meant to say "from" the sales kid at the electronics store...which changes the meaning dramatically. He was not implying you are a "sales kid".

Interesting information and thread...I only wish I was in the market for a 50" TV!

Mr X
10-19-2005, 12:00 PM
We just bought the new Sony 60" plasma last week......

It ROCKS!!!

Moody Blu'
10-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Broque...I think you misunderstood this comment. He meant to say "from" the sales kid at the electronics store...which changes the meaning dramatically. He was not implying you are a "sales kid".

Interesting information and thread...I only wish I was in the market for a 50" TV!
i know he wasnt implying me ;)

Carl C
10-19-2005, 06:18 PM
[QUOTE=Forres

Nice set Carl! You are also watching one of my favorite shows as well![/QUOTE] Ya gotta love Felix and Poindexter. Here's my favorite show.