PDA

View Full Version : Merc Aplha Template?

DonziNUTS
10-12-2005, 10:36 AM
I just bought a 350 merc with alpha outdrive. The year is 1987....my question is I am putting this in my 1968 18' classic. Does some one have the template to be able to fit this? The boat had a volvo which I am reglassing the transom to put this merc in. So any lead way to this template would be a help!

Thanks!
Mike

Trueser
10-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Its more like a JIG/TOOL

Good luck

gcarter
10-12-2005, 01:25 PM
Do a search. Someone here bought one on eBay 8-10 months ago. Said he was willing to let people use it.

MOP
10-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Drop Rayjay a note he grabbed the aluminum Merc tool on Ebay awhile back.

Phil

mrfixxall
10-15-2005, 11:42 AM
i could send you a paper copy of one,mr? alpha? gen 1 or gen 2,,,or find someon close to you who is restoring one and tape a piece of thick paper on the transm and copy fron their hull....

MOP
10-15-2005, 12:43 PM
The inner shield can be used to mark the holes but wait! Before you start making holes make a drill block note below! Also find exact center of the transom, draw lines from the opposing corners of the chine and cap form an X. Then measure in from the cap rail about 12" to 14" and repeat the process this will give you two perfectly centered X's and your vertical center line, then decide on the height of the X dimension you want.
When drilling the holes getting them straight is VERY important, you can drill pilots then drill a hole in a hardwood block on a drill press and place it against the transom to keep the bit at a perfect 90 degrees using your pilots as a guide. If the holes are off it is a bugger and will cause a fair amount of extra work, been there done that. If you have questions PM me I have done quite a few retro fits.

Phil