PDA

View Full Version : vinyl racing stripe

zimm17
10-12-2005, 09:49 AM
After a few beers on the beach staring at the boats, a buddy had an idea. I've been toying with switching my boat to blue. Couldn't I get a vinyl graphics place to make me up a racing stripe and a waterline stripe to cover up my faded red? It should be fairly cheap. And it's removable if I don't like it. Every few years I could change it if it gets faded or cracked.

Would it work?

McGary911
10-12-2005, 10:12 AM
I don't see why not. You'd just have to worry about the interior matching whatever color you choose for the stripes. They cover entire SUVs with vinyl showing different promotional messages, designs, etc. You may want to pay the shop to apply it. I've done vinyl lettering, and it turns out great, but a long stripe may be more difficult. Especially if you'll be staring at it every time you drive the boat. I've had vinyl on my big boat for 7 years, and it lives in the salt 8 months per year, so it should be durable enough.

Barry Phillips
10-12-2005, 11:30 AM
I used Vinyl graphics for my registration numbers on both my 18 and now on my 22 as apposed to painting them on which is pretty common where I boat. The vinyl offers more type styles, custom colors, metallic etc. Custom vinyl decals have proven to be very tough on both my boats. I placed them just forward of the windshield on my 22 and they seem pretty impervious to fender rubbing etc.

I’m not sure about your idea to use vinyl on such a large area like your deck strip and under the water line such as the hull strip. On a small-contained area they are not difficult to apply, but I’m not sure about a large area like the forward deck strip. I think positioning it would be a nightmare not to mention getting all the air bubbles out. Also if you want to do it yourself consider you’re your deck hardware. Trying to position a large decal, which has a peel off backing sheet over such items as your lifting rings, would be difficult at best, unless you consider removing everything. Another thing to consider once the adhesive sets up the bond is pretty strong so it they don’t work out for you getting them off might be an equal nightmare. Your boats look like it red on white as is my 22, which has red piping on the seats and red carpet. Most Donzis I’ve seen use seat piping to compliment the deck stripe, although in the 90s a lot Classics used dark gray carpet. My last concern is would vinyl really that durable in your hot Florida sun and salt water. I’ve seen factory-installed graphics on less expensive boats look really ratty in just a few seasons even with our shorter season and fresh water use. Gel coat or enamel based paint systems can at least be buffed out when they do fade.

ChromeGorilla
10-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Definately doable. There is some very high quality vinyl out there too. The sign shop where I have decals made and had my boat name and reg #'s has good stuff. They gurantee no fading or cracking for 8 years or they will replaec for free. I say this is a great way to try out a different color...plus blue is the only way to go...... :biggrin:

p729lws
10-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Greg,
Try Compu-Graphixs on Beverly Parkway. They did the vinyl graphics on my 18 and will be doing the same on the 22 next week. They will sell you the vinyl or do graphic design. They will also apply it but you'll have to take the boat to them. http://www.compu-graphix.com/

You doing sand island this weekend?
Dan

boxy
10-12-2005, 03:08 PM
If a vinyl company can install a set of "viper" stripes on a Ram 1500 p/u, I'm sure they can install them on an 18.

MOP
10-12-2005, 04:56 PM
I had the name in large lettering on my blow boat for 10 years with -0- fading just a few dinghy dings. I would go for it!

Phil

mikev
10-14-2005, 12:44 PM
I used black vinyl to put rally stripes on an old s-10 pickup I had, it held up for years and looked good as new when i sold the truck. never faded.