PDA

View Full Version : "NEW THREAD"

DonziJon
10-10-2005, 06:41 PM
I was just wondering: How many of you guys have a motorcycle in the garage?? What would it be?? Do you ride it?? :lookaroun

chappy
10-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Donzijon,

Rode Bikes From The Age Of 12 To 24, All Kinds Of Dirt Bikes. Started Riding Street Bikes, Last One Was A Yamaha Radian 600, Hit A Deer Doing 40 Mph, Only Flesh Wounds. I Don't Blame The Bike Or Bad Luck, The Area I Live In Is Over Populated With Deer. I Was About To Get Back On, And Lost A Friend Who Hit A Deer While Riding A Harley. If I Lived Somewhere Other Than Pennsylvania, I Would Be Riding A Fatboy. Oddly Enough, Ever Since I Stopped Riding, I Have Been Buying Boats And Skipping Across Water.

Best Wishes,

Rich

Bad-Tat
10-10-2005, 07:27 PM
DJ,
Got a couple in the basement.
72 T100R Daytona, 86 SRX600, 95 XR650L, 97 Valk, 01 Bonneville, 01 F650 GSD, 04 Sportster, 00 XR50, EZ 90, Aero 50.
Yes I ride.

gcarter
10-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Not any more, Elaine won't allow it!!!(no man card comments out there)
Besides the retirees here take great pleasure in doing away with you. There have been a number of bikers killed around here from older folks who probably shouldn't be driving anyway.
But my first bike @ age 9 (1953) was a basket case James ( a British bike) of 125cc Villiers power. When I finally managed to get it running, I found it had a top speed of about 35 mph.
Number 2 was a '51 BMW which was brought back from Germany by a GI. I paid $100.00 for it in 1960 (by then I could ride legally).
Hmmmmm #3 must have been a BSA Gold Star (big 500 cc single thumper w/roller bearing bottom end, I think). Had a compression release and manual timing advance, and believe me you needed both to get it started. Also had a 1 1/2" Amal carb w/ a velocity stack (no air cleaner) you could open the throttle, ease the engine over and when the intake valve opened you could visually inspect the spark plug.
Next, I think, was a 1958 HD Sportster CH I had for a short while. The CH came w/ a magneto, need I say more?
After that came a slew of Hondas and such, and by that time, all the adventure was taken out of it. With electric start, ignition systems that ALWAYS worked. Fuel systems that were utterly dependable. Where was the challenge?
Hmmmmm....it was an interesting time!

:wavey:

RickyR
10-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Funny you ask..
I have my first 2 bikes when I was a kid.
1971 Z-50k2 Honda minitrail
1974 XR-75
Then, I have another restored to almost perfect 1971 minitrail Mexican yellow, and a 1986 Honda z-50 "Christmas Special" it is all chrome (gas tank ,engine covers..etc) They both reside in my office.
Then I have 2 other z-50's in running shape, a Honda 1991 CR-250, and a 1979 Harley Superglide.
I rode my Harley 2 weeks ago during a "photo shoot" (thanks LT Mark).Before that 1 year ago.:banghead:
The mini's run, but since the 2 are inside, I drained the oil, but my original 50 is hopped up and runs about 40 mph. It catches a wheelie from 1st to 2nd gear. If you ever wanna see a grown man grin, get on an old mini trail...
Good topic...

Cuda
10-10-2005, 08:24 PM
I have a 95 Softail Custom that's been turned into a groundpounder, and I have a Suzuki Boulevard C50. I bought Debbie a new 05 V Rod in February. We don't ride much at all in the summer, too much rain, and too damn hot. Weekend after this is Biketoberfest here in Daytona, we will start riding then.

Cuda
10-10-2005, 08:28 PM
Funny you ask..
That got a smile from me. I picked berries all summer in Oregon to buy a new 1970 Honda Mini Trail 50, man I loved riding that thing. I sold it to my dad to buy my first car. Dad kept it for years and years.

lmsac00
10-10-2005, 08:30 PM
been riding since i was 8, first had a mini bike,then go carts, then on to the bigger stuff, dirt bikes and three wheelers,bad accident at 17 on a street dirt bike, 125 yamaha, broadsided by a car, spent time in the hosp. then my first big bike was a 650 bsa lightining, i was 17, then onto harley heritage. i gave it up for some time when the kids came , now there 14 and 17. now theres a 04 bourget fat daddy springer chopper sitting in the garage , had it custom built as a theme bike by roger himself. matches my street rod. also i have a 05 screaming eagle electra glide. with a kick butt motor,dyno at 105 h.p. done over by R.R. cycles out of new hampshire. wife also enjoys riding as a passenger. its off to daytona on the 20th for the octoberfest or bikefest, whatever they call it.:moped: :yippie:

rayjay
10-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Only ever sold two of my motorcycles in my entire life, the 100cc Kwacker Trail Boss I rode to get my bike license and a 750cc Norton racer that I sold back to the original owner when he kept making cow eyes until I relented. Turned the backbone into the oil tank and a friend built a high mount underseat exhaust for it, and that was back in the mid 70's. Wish I still had it.

Still have my two TR6R's (first racers), Rickman Trumpet, Norton S/S, two RD350's (last racers), 4 GS1000S's (1 street and 3 old superbike racers), RG500, two CB400S's, FZ750/1000 lap day bike, Ducati 888, my FJ1200 touring bike and a bunch of spare parts that would probably build a few more.

As someone on this board says, there's a fine line between an addiction and a hobby.

rayjay

lmsac00
10-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Funny you ask..
1974 XR-75
Then, I have another restored to almost perfect 1971 minitrail Mexican yellow, and a 1986 Honda z-50 "Christmas Special" it is all chrome (gas tank ,engine covers..etc) They both reside in my office.
Then I have 2 other z-50's in running shape, a Honda 1991 CR-250, and a 1979 Harley Superglide.
I rode my Harley 2 weeks ago during a "photo shoot" (thanks LT Mark).Before that 1 year ago.:banghead:
The mini's run, but since the 2 are inside, I drained the oil, but my original 50 is hopped up and runs about 40 mph. It catches a wheelie from 1st to 2nd gear. If you ever wanna see a grown man grin, get on an old mini trail...
Good topic...

wow, i had one of those honda mini trails when i was kid, by the way i happened to stumble on one today in new cond, couldnt believe it, was like i was in a time warp. it also is yellow. its in maine at stateline auto auction and r.v. called them and they want 1600.00 if it was under a grand i would of scoffed it.

RickyR
10-10-2005, 08:51 PM
wow, i had one of those honda mini trails when i was kid, by the way i happened to stumble on one today in new cond, couldnt believe it, was like i was in a time warp. it also is yellow. its in maine at stateline auto auction and r.v. called them and they want 1600.00 if it was under a grand i would of scoffed it.

That's about what they are bringing now. Some of the parts are being reproduced, and getting easier to find. Thanks to e-bay, you can find them in just about any condition
Lots of junk out there too...
I may need to ride my 50 tomorrow :outtahere
Ricky...

BaldEagle
10-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Got scooters. I've ridden since 1968. First was a 57 HD Servicar three wheeler. Wish I would have kept that one. Went through a 68 Honda Scrambler 300, 72 Honda 750-4 (first bike with disk brakes), 650 Triumph TT Special, 79 HD XLS Sportster, 86 Yamaha V-Max, 88 HD ElectraGlide Classic, and still have my 91 HD Springer Softtail, 01 Road Glide SE, and 05 V-Rod SE. Was down to two but my wife bought one at a charity auction. Go figure she was after me to sell my Springer after I told her I bought the Road Glide SE because I was going to only have one. I ride the V-Rod around town, the Road Glide out of town and trips and the Springer a little to keep it lubricated. I'm keeing it for my 10 yr old when he's old enough, to buy it that is. It will be an antique in mint condition, I hope.

See Pics. Fxsts Springer, Fltrsei2 day I picked it up with my boy, VRSCSE with one of the MDA kids after my wife bought it at their fund raiser, my favorite because he's my neighbor.

Always happy to be in motion with the wind blowing on my face.
BE

pmreed
10-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Had several bikes back in the days. Sold my last one :( , a 1936 Nimbus, 25 years ago.

Phil

Cuda
10-10-2005, 10:16 PM
72 Honda 750-4 (first bike with disk brakes),
BE

They call that the bike that changed the world. I can't remember what else were firsts on that bike, but it's the one that made Harley wake up and start trying something new.

Ed Donnelly
10-10-2005, 10:39 PM
2000 Harley FXST. Put nearly a 100 miles on her this year.
Between the heat wave, work,and right eye challanged,that was all I could muster.But looking on the brighter side, thats a 100 miles more than I put on the Criterion this year.And 50 miles more than I put on the Pantera(saved a bundle on gas)...Ed

Cuda
10-10-2005, 11:03 PM
But looking on the brighter side, thats a 100 miles more than I put on the Criterion this year.Ed
I don't see that as a bright side. :biggrin.:

409biscayne
10-11-2005, 01:16 AM
I was just wondering: How many of you guys have a motorcycle in the garage?? What would it be?? Do you ride it?? :lookaroun
Awesome thread , kinda cool to see what everyone rides . Me , im into Spanish bikes , couple of Montesa's Cota 123 and 348 and a Bultaco . Thats what we raced / rode when we were kids , still like 'em. One of these days ill sell an old Chevy and buy a big bike .
Later ....................... Doughttp://www.donzi.net/ubb/graemlins/cool.gif

Formula Jr
10-11-2005, 01:47 AM
80' SR 500. Bought in 1982. Bikes come bigger but they rarely came better.
Before that, Kaw 90 ss, Hodaka 100, Kaw 500 mac II, Yam 750 triple E, Yam 350 RD. Next bike will be a Duck.....but I'm keepen the SR. I ride it everyday, and buy grocieries with a back pack.

CHACHI
10-11-2005, 06:47 AM
Been riding since I was 15. Started out on a Fox mini-bike, graduated to a Honda CT-70. Since than I have had numerous street bikes, mostly RD's, just love the hit. Probally had at least one from every year at one time. The '79 Daytona Special was a sweet bike. Had a couple of RZ-350's when they were "allowed" to be sold back in the states. In 1985 I bought a new RZ-500 from Canada. It was like a 125 MX bike for the street. Keep the 500 until 2003 when I bought a Ducati Monster 900. Also have ridden off-road since 1971. Have owned Hondas.Yamahas, Husqvarnas. Liked my 82 Husky 250 WR the best.I no longer ride off-road. If I'm lucky I might make 500 on the Ducati this year, The riding position raises hell with my carpel tunnel. Driving the boat doesn't, go figure. Ken

Craig S
10-11-2005, 08:36 AM
been riding for awhile...

Honda CBX
MotoGuzzi V-11 Sport

joel3078
10-11-2005, 09:49 AM
2000 Harley Ultra - 45-50MPG. I keep the truck parked as much as I can!!!

You can buy your own parade dress, chrome dripping, Ultra from the Shriners for a great price. They have 5-15K miles on them for about a 1/3 off the price of a new one. The low mile ones are driven by old men on Sundays during Shriner parades. Otherwise they are sittin in a garage. Here is an example:

http://www.cyclecorps.com/Bikes%20Sale.html

EricG
10-11-2005, 10:09 AM
I commute 35 miles a day on my '01 Suzuki SV650. It isn't flashy, but for commuting, it's absolutely perfect. Light, quick, entertaining, and 45 MPG. I've done 8-10k per year for the last few.

Plus, I have turned it into a convertible - in the summer it's a lower-bar, rearset naked cafe', in the winter - it's a shield, hand-guards, upright all weather ride. One of these days I'll buy a GS and ride to Alaska...

I do think it's a bit pathetic that I occasionally get comments about riding a "little" or even a "chic" bike. Maybe the guys that have been riding longer than me can explain when a 72HP V-twin that'll do under a 12 second quarter mile and lift the front wheel easily, and do over 130 became a chic bike? The most recent comments came when a friend who has been riding for 6 weeks just bought a VTX 1800 and wondered why I still ride my starter bike :outtahere

EG

18FOOTER
10-11-2005, 10:41 AM
I've been riding for 42 years, starting with a Honda trail 90 in 1963. Right now it's a 2002 Electraglide Classic dripping with chrome and a custom paint job. BUT, it's being traded in on a 2006 Electraglide Ultra in 3 days. Just waiting for the extras to be installed. A few years ago I didn't even care about a radio....this time I just HAD to have EFI, CD and cruise control!??

409biscayne
10-11-2005, 11:00 AM
I commute 35 miles a day on my '01 Suzuki SV650. It isn't flashy, but for commuting, it's absolutely perfect. Light, quick, entertaining, and 45 MPG. I've done 8-10k per year for the last few.

Plus, I have turned it into a convertible - in the summer it's a lower-bar, rearset naked cafe', in the winter - it's a shield, hand-guards, upright all weather ride. One of these days I'll buy a GS and ride to Alaska...

I do think it's a bit pathetic that I occasionally get comments about riding a "little" or even a "chic" bike. Maybe the guys that have been riding longer than me can explain when a 72HP V-twin that'll do under a 12 second quarter mile and lift the front wheel easily, and do over 130 became a chic bike? The most recent comments came when a friend who has been riding for 6 weeks just bought a VTX 1800 and wondered why I still ride my starter bike http://www.donzi.net/ubb/redface.gifuttahere

EG That's a good looking bike . I envy you guys that can ride all year long , we're almost done here. The GS ride to Alaska is something i'm going to do as well , one day . ( One kid in college , one to go ) With the price of fuel we'll all be riding soon . Stay safe .

turbo2256
10-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Sold off my BMW R1200C this spring looking at Triumph Rocket IIIs at the moment.

BERTRAM BOY
10-11-2005, 11:45 AM
As posted awhile ago, Here's a pic of my '05 K1200S. Once in a while, I'll even ride Di's Sportster.......
I'm still searching for that "perfect" around town bike. Maybe a Ducati Monster, or an MV Agusta.....

Eric G, Cool bike. I love that Cafe look.

Hey Minxguy Ken, How do you like your Duc?

EricG
10-11-2005, 11:57 AM
As posted awhile ago, Here's a pic of my '05 K1200S. Once in a while, I'll even ride Di's Sportster.......
I'm still searching for that "perfect" around town bike. Maybe a Ducati Monster, or an MV Agusta.....

Hey Minxguy Ken, How do you like your Duc?

Thanks for the kind words...

So, is the K as fast as the magazines say it is? That's a sweet ride!

Keep the pics coming everyone, this is fun.

EG

CHACHI
10-11-2005, 01:27 PM

Hey Minxguy Ken, How do you like your Duc?Cliff, I like the duck, its a great back road bike. Not really a sport tourer but I have gone from Daytona Beach to Cape Coral and back in a day. If I wasn't going to be travelling the next 2 weekends you could ride over and try it. I'll be home the weekend of the 29th. Bike won't be put away yet, let me know. Ken

BERTRAM BOY
10-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Ken, you have a PM.

DonziJon
10-11-2005, 03:21 PM
I suspected there might be a few riders on this board. Anyone who owns a Donzi just seemed a perfect canidate. Walk by any airplane hanger at your local airport and you will likley see at least one bike in each. I have a relitive who was a Captain for American Airlines (just retired at the "manditory" 60) and he used to have Harleys "stashed" all over the country so he could ride whenever he had a layover.

I started riding in 1979 on a Honda XL250 "on and off" bike, then a Honda GL500, VF750 Sabre, then a 1983 Yamaha Venture which my wife and I rode cross country twice, putting just over 120,000 miles on it before selling it. Now we have a 1990 Yamaha Venture which we also rode cross country a few years ago. On that first cross country on the '83 we did over 11,000 miles in five weeks.

The current inventory in the garage is the '90 Venture, and a 1956 Ariel Square Four. Between the two, I ride maybe 300 miles a year these days. Someone mentioned Lucas Electrics. The ARIEL has it all, including the distributor, as well as an SU carburator.

For those who havn't heard of ARIEL, it was a British bike, 1000cc, with four cylinders, arranged in two verticle pairs on two crankshafts geared together. Once in a great while, an older Harley or BMW rider will recognize it. It has a Sound like no other. The bike is perfectly stock and I usually run it without the mufflers. :smile:

gcarter
10-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Interesting thing, "Sqarials" have been around since the '30's. It was my idol when I was young. I seem to remember it had some interesting features as it had two cranks geared together, but shared the cam shaft. Intake and exhaust plumbing were kind of restricted, but overall, a really interesting bike.

BERTRAM BOY
10-11-2005, 04:30 PM
WOW.......1956 Ariel Square Four.... Pics Please!!!!!!!!

FOSTER
10-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Been on two wheels about 28 years, been down in the dirt A few times, no road rash as of today. Been on 84 FXRP since new. 85,000 miles and counting.

apollo24
10-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Here's mine. 2000 Ducati 900SS. Italian bike, Italian-built racing sailboat, and a Donzi (which everyone outside of us thinks is Italian). The sailboat even leaks oil:)!!!

joseph m. hahnl
10-11-2005, 05:19 PM
I started riding illegaly at age 13 on sachs suburban moped which i still have.
the 50 cc class is an addiction all of it's own. any way as motorcycles go
1975 suzuki T 500 .1981 yamaha Virago 750,1977 susuki GT 250, and my current bike is a 1981 Honda CB 900 Custom. I have'nt ridden at all this year All my time and effort"lets not forget" extra cash has gone into getting my minx going and AH, AH, AH, OH YAH GASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. I bought the honda in California, I lived there for 2 yrs and drove it every day Rain or shine even in the Santa Anna's . The first 6mnths out there my dad let me use his honda 1200 interstate. But now that donzi season is coming to an end .It is time for snowmobile maintenance.

AS they don't count as motorcycles but I have 5 sleds, 1991 polaris indy 500
1988 ski doo sefari 377,1985 ski doo citation 250, 1991 Yamaha sno sport 125,
and a 1977 artic cat Kitty cat 60cc That one will be for sale in time for christmas

joe

Formula Jr
10-11-2005, 05:20 PM
I love meeting up with squids. And the posers. And my little bike.
They don't know how to ride so I'm 10 minutes ahead at the end. Places with no straghtaways for 63 miles. And when you've had a bike for 20 years, it sings, It is you. You know what it can do. Every shift is perfect, every line the best. After 20 years I am still amazed at my little bike. oddly I can't ride with new people much more. They crash thinking they can keep up with my little bike.. That has gotten old......

DonziJon
10-11-2005, 07:24 PM
WOW.......1956 Ariel Square Four.... Pics Please!!!!!!!!

Just noticed you are from CT. Havn't looked at the map but I seem to think Glastonbery is way west of Naragansett bay.. My only riding on the Ariel is usually over to RAZEES in N. Kingstown, RI on US Rt.1 on Saturday mornings. Havn't been over there in two + years ON the Ariel. The crowd over there is great. We have two guys who were bomber pilots in WW2. One in a B17 and the other in a B24. The B17 guy still rides. When anyone asks him how old he is he always answers; " WELL, ..in 13 years I'll be 100!!

My most recent camera is a film camera, so posting pics is not quite as easy as digital. Maybe better than pictures:.... show up at Razees on a Saturday morning and let me know when....I'll ride it over..weather permitting, and you can see the bike personal. I'm always looking for an excuse to ride it.

DonCig
10-12-2005, 12:10 AM
What can I say, I like my boats white and my Harleys Black. But most of all I like them all to be FAST!

409biscayne
10-12-2005, 09:43 AM
Here's mine. 2000 Ducati 900SS. Italian bike, Italian-built racing sailboat, and a Donzi (which everyone outside of us thinks is Italian). The sailboat even leaks oilhttp://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif!!! OK i've gotta ask what sailboat have you got ?? I wonder how many of us also have sailboats ? :boat:

Formula Jr
10-13-2005, 07:32 PM
How many of us will admit that we have sailboats? :wavey:

EricG
10-13-2005, 10:45 PM
How many of us will admit that we have sailboats? :wavey:

I'm not ashamed to come out of the sailing closet. We've got a Hobie Holder 14' Monohull. I've GPS'd it at 6.8Mph - I'm shopping for a bigger jib :wink: :boat:

-EG
"Closet Sailor"

Craig S
10-14-2005, 09:10 AM
80' SR 500. Bought in 1982. Bikes come bigger but they rarely came better.

The SR500 is a really fine piece. Congratulations!

apollo24
10-15-2005, 09:20 AM
OK i've gotta ask what sailboat have you got ?? I wonder how many of us also have sailboats ? :boat:

Thanks- Sailboats....

I have a Lilia Olympic class Star boat. I race them somewhat actively all over the states. As a matter of fact, the most active fleet is down your way, at Coral Reef YC and US Olympic sailing center. We used to keep a boat down there for the winter series. Hope to sail Bacardi Cup this year down there. Star boats are pretty much the Formula One of monohull sailboats.

I also have a couple Lasers and a Paceship 23 lead-dragger for booze-cruises. Katrina took most of the boats at our YC- I did have a San Juan 7.7 meter but it is now a treehouse, again, thanks to Katrina.

People laugh when they find out that I likie both sailboats and powerboats. They take less offense when my friend and I slalom through the Thursday night fun race course in our Donzis :) :boat:

dclassic
10-16-2005, 11:37 PM
:moped: Great Thread! Glad to see all the fellow riders out there. I started at a young age on minibikes and little trail bikes like most of you. I just never grew up and now I work with bikes all day. Our shop is Atlanta Triumph Ducati (www.atlantatriumphducati.com (http://www.atlantatriumphducati.com)). I have a husky 610 dirt bike and a budding collection of euro bikes including a 93 Ducati 750ss and a 00 Ducati 748R. My wife rides a MV Agusta Brutale also. A Triumph Thruxton is about to be added to the collection. If anyone has questions about Triumph's, Ducati's, MV Agusta's or Moto Guzzi's please don't hesitate to ask. I have spent a lot of seat time on all the bikes we sell having owned many along the way as well. Having full time access to all the demo bikes is great fun and very educational. Ya'll ride safe out there!:)

CHACHI
10-18-2005, 06:41 AM
Just noticed you are from CT. Havn't looked at the map but I seem to think Glastonbery is way west of Naragansett bay.. My only riding on the Ariel is usually over to RAZEES in N. Kingstown, RI on US Rt.1 on Saturday mornings. Havn't been over there in two + years ON the Ariel. The crowd over there is great. We have two guys who were bomber pilots in WW2. One in a B17 and the other in a B24. The B17 guy still rides. When anyone asks him how old he is he always answers; " WELL, ..in 13 years I'll be 100!!

My most recent camera is a film camera, so posting pics is not quite as easy as digital. Maybe better than pictures:.... show up at Razees on a Saturday morning and let me know when....I'll ride it over..weather permitting, and you can see the bike personal. I'm always looking for an excuse to ride it.John, if the weather stays and you make one more trip to Razee's, please tell Gordon I said hello. I haven't seen him in years. Speaking of off road Gordie use to race xr-200's in the New England enduro circut.... he was very fast on them. Ken

sweet 16 1966
10-21-2005, 10:33 AM
I love my bikes too!
2003 XR 50
1980 CB 650 Custom- needs head gasket
1984 XLX Harley Sportster 1000 cc