PDA

View Full Version : Jabsco raw water pump question

Donzigo
10-09-2005, 04:26 PM
I have two Gen-V 1996 year model 454's in the Z-33. The raw water pumps are a type of plastic which seems to eat up an impeller about every 1oo hours or so. The plastic housing and the assorted gaskets with impeller costs around $135, if I remember correctly. They come from Jabsco.Yesterday, I took the cover off Big-D to go for a spin and immediately when I started the port engine, and got no water through the strainer, I knew what had happened. I took the Jabso pump off in about 30 minutes, took it up to the shop and confirmed that I had impellers broken.

So, here's the question. Jabsco also makes a BRONZE unit which does the same thing and interchanges easily. The retail is higher; but, many retailers on the net advertise it for $275 or so. Then, as I understand it, when the impeller goes, the cost is $20. The Jabso unit is model JAB43210-001, in case someone wants to see it on a web search.

I think that replacing it to the brass one makes sense; but, I value the opinions of the mechanically minded on this board.

I'd love to know what you think, if you'd care to respond.

(LATER) Thanks for the correction, George, I changed my thread to read BRONZE.

gcarter
10-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Richard, I'd look at a BRONZE pump, not brass. Since you run in salt water, brass would quickly turn into a sponge.
Have you thought about a Johnson crank driven pump?
The purchase price is $130.00 or so, Impellors are about $30.00. And it's extremely easy to change impellors as you do all the work from the front.

mphatc
10-09-2005, 07:23 PM
I run a elastomer impeller in my Jabsco on my 1969 H&M set up.

Mario

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|311|53460&id=200166

The below is copied from:
http://www.boats.com/boat-articles/Trends-151/Top+10+Yachting+Wish+List/12088.html

5. Globe Elastomer Water-Pump Impeller: Cool Blues

Practically every inboard marine engine has a black, spider-shaped water-pump impeller, and your introduction usually comes a few minutes after the steaming, overheated engine experience. These things fail somewhat unpredictably and aren't always that easy to reach. The best way to minimize any potentially unpleasant interaction with Mr. Impeller during a cruise is to replace the wretched thing at the dock. Most manufacturers recommend annual replacement.

Better yet, replace it with the latest high-tech petro-chemical miracle, Globe Rubber Company's blue elastomer impeller. Since they're more flexible and self-lubricating, they are easier to install and will survive up to 15 minutes of dry running if the raw-water inlet gets plugged or shut off. The Coast Guard and commercial guys say the blue impellers last a lot longer, too. Personally, I've never been able to wear one out. The best part: they cost only a couple bucks more than the unreliable black-rubber ones at most marine stores.

MOP
10-09-2005, 07:30 PM
The Globes are great they will last 3-4 times longer except in sandy condition then they chew up almost as bad as the black ones.

Phil

Donzigo
10-09-2005, 10:35 PM
I loved the Globe idea.......right up until I read about SANDY conditions..........I boat in sandy conditions. Florida inlets & bays are shallow as heck. We are always running up on sandbars out where we throw an anchor. Of course, it's always slow when we touch, but I'm sure sand goes into the pump.

GEEEEE.........now what?........and I was so happy for just a minute.

Team Hula Girl
10-11-2005, 12:37 AM
I loved the Globe idea.......right up until I read about SANDY conditions..........I boat in sandy conditions. Florida inlets & bays are shallow as heck. We are always running up on sandbars out where we throw an anchor. Of course, it's always slow when we touch, but I'm sure sand goes into the pump.

GEEEEE.........now what?........and I was so happy for just a minute.

Looks like you better keep those paddles/oars in the boat just in case.

Just Kidding, I would go with the bronze.

J Mitch